New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A, B, C, D, P, S, U......wait..
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-07, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #226
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

If you were going to pick a vehicle to replace, the lightning or a buggy would be it. That begs the question however:

Why are you trying to replace an existing vehicle that many people are probably fond of with a more complicated, more expensive to produce and animate vehicle that makes less sense in the setting?
Old 2011-10-07, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #227
Captain B
First Sergeant

I like variety. The thread's about mechs.

Besides, maybe those vehicles won't be the best in all terrain types whereas a walker could be?
Old 2011-10-07, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #228
RobinHood
Private

Misc Info
Thumbs down Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

I don't want mechs of any sort, I dislike MAX's enough already as I think they screw up the infantry balance. I'd rather not see that done to the vehicle side as well. Plus any Walker/Mech/Gundam/Whatever will probably make me BFR rage 'cause I'm cool like that. They failed in BF2142, they failed in PS1, they fail in Warhammer (dreadnaughts). Not something I'd like to see at all. Far from a good argument, but you asked for opinions.

Last edited by RobinHood; 2011-10-07 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2011-10-07, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #229
Wahooo
Captain

The game is called Hawken. Go there let Planetside live mech-free.
Old 2011-10-07, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #230
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

I didn't like using BFRs, but I also didn't think BFRs ruined Planetside. Aircav and hot-dropping was far more damaging to game play IMO. But whatever my opinions are, the fact remains that many Planetside players have frenzied hate for BFRs, and I'm not sure bringing them back is really worth it. They're mostly cool factor than offering anything really new and valuable to game play that doesn't make existing vehicles obsolete.

I would like to see AV MAXs made more viable in outdoor fights. If a Comet had faster turning and could fire while running I'd give that ago outdoors. If there was a way to shut off the ability for a MAX to run indoors I think that would be reasonably balanced. Basically more maneuverability and speed outdoors for no running at all indoors.
Old 2011-10-08, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #231
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Captain B View Post
I agree, but if it's a single-man mech, like the Avatar mechs, that'd be neat (like bi-pedal Lightnings) to offer support
That's the general idea. I've been comparing it to a walking Reaver. Machine guns + rocket combo.

I clipped out the second part of what you said since it's exactly what I don't want to see. It seems like every time someone suggest a balanced idea there's always someone that's like "and we'll make it manned by 10 guys and give it a ton of firepower so a squad can pull it".

I'm not a big fan of the Avatar mech design (again too humanoid), but the scale is perfect.

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
stuff about replacing a vehicle
This would ideally be a new vehicle. It doesn't replace any known vehicle in the game.

Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
I dislike MAX's enough already as I think they screw up the infantry balance.
You're not the only one. Always found MAX suits to be a bit odd. You don't need to take AA indoors, so why put it on an infantry basically. And the only reason for an AV max is usually to kill other MAX units since if you ever got any kills with an AV MAX then well good for you. It was hard.

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
The game is called Hawken.
Good example of how to make a bad mech game actually. Not a fan of Unreal Tournament with mechs. In the future construct your posts with more thought. You know exactly what I described so why would you suggest a game that isn't even remotely like what I said?
Old 2011-10-08, 04:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #232
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
That's the general idea. I've been comparing it to a walking Reaver. Machine guns + rocket combo.
You are just digging your own grave right there. That's more powerful than a tank, perfect for people that are wanting a solo machine it would make this game mech warrior as everyone would have one.

This is planetside it is squad/group based combat not solo look at me i want to be leet.

This thread is a great indicator to SOE that mech/bfr's are not wanted in planetside. No matter have many different ways you spin it there will be literally hundreds and probably 1000's of vet there to shoot your idea down mechs are not wanted in this game. SOE cannot be trusted to do it right and they just do not work in this sort of game.

Can i ask were you there for the BFR release and aftermath and how long did you play the original game for?
Old 2011-10-08, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #233
Redshift
Major

I highly doubt they'll ever add a mech to the game again, even if they somehow managed to make a BFR that was balanced, the core fans of the franchise hate the idea because of the old BFR's (me included), and it's your core fans who make all the user content, i.e the apps they want to see, the fan pages etc
Old 2011-10-08, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #234
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
I highly doubt they'll ever add a mech to the game again, even if they somehow managed to make a BFR that was balanced, the core fans of the franchise hate the idea because of the old BFR's (me included), and it's your core fans who make all the user content, i.e the apps they want to see, the fan pages etc
There are 4 general methods for moving things around on the ground. Wheels, treads(which is really just wheels that carry their own road), hovering, and legs. In a game, these things are arbitrary. Whether a vehicle is OP or not has nothing to do with the graphical representation of its movey bits, and everything to do with the numbers somewhere in a file. The BFRs would have been just as OP if they'd had wheels, treads, or hoverpods, or hell, been a floating placeholder cube. Having legs had absolutely no impact on their balance.

You may as well disapprove of text files or numbers, the things that actually allowed the model to be imbalanced.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-10-08 at 06:43 AM.
Old 2011-10-08, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #235
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
There are 4 general methods for moving things around on the ground. Wheels, treads(which is really just wheels that carry their own road), hovering, and legs. In a game, these things are arbitrary. Whether a vehicle is OP or not has nothing to do with the graphical representation of its movey bits, and everything to do with the numbers somewhere in a file. The BFRs would have been just as OP if they'd had wheels, treads, or hoverpods, or hell, been a floating placeholder cube. Having legs had absolutely no impact on their balance.

You may as well disapprove of text files or numbers, the things that actually allowed the model to be imbalanced.
I completely agree with you, however perception isn't always logical how often do you see someone with a touthbrush moustache since hitler fucked it up for example
Old 2011-10-08, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #236
CutterJohn
Colonel

Eh.. the hitler stache has always been pretty lame. Charlie Chaplin wore it because it looked ridiculous.
Old 2011-10-08, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #237
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Eh.. the hitler stache has always been pretty lame. Charlie Chaplin wore it because it looked ridiculous.
doesn't make the point any less valid :P
Old 2011-10-08, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #238
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
That's more powerful than a tank, perfect for people that are wanting a solo machine it would make this game mech warrior as everyone would have one.
How is it more powerful than a tank? That's a balance issue if anything. You're kind of dense when it comes to thinking of things in terms of balance. You make these quick assumptions. Stop for a second and think about balance. Why would a mech that you imagine be more powerful than a single person tank? Do you imagine it has stronger AV weapons? That the damage a tank does is less? Those are all balance issues. The component based system I described also allows for more weaknesses than a tank could have probably to make it a skilled vehicle. (Turning yourself to take fire on certain components than others for instance).

Can i ask were you there for the BFR release and aftermath and how long did you play the original game for?
Beta through BFRs and on and off since then. I personally loved BFRs and saw all their flaws. However, I'm open minded enough to realize a mech chassis can work if done correctly. I have enough faith in Higby and others at SOE to do it right.
Old 2011-10-08, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #239
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
How is it more powerful than a tank? That's a balance issue if anything. You're kind of dense when it comes to thinking of things in terms of balance. You make these quick assumptions. Stop for a second and think about balance. Why would a mech that you imagine be more powerful than a single person tank? Do you imagine it has stronger AV weapons? That the damage a tank does is less? Those are all balance issues. The component based system I described also allows for more weaknesses than a tank could have probably to make it a skilled vehicle. (Turning yourself to take fire on certain components than others for instance).

Beta through BFRs and on and off since then. I personally loved BFRs and saw all their flaws. However, I'm open minded enough to realize a mech chassis can work if done correctly. I have enough faith in Higby and others at SOE to do it right.
Well lets take the lightning for example.... its a light tank. A AV max can solo it and why would this mech have less powerful rockets than an AV max but then you also want to give it AI weapons.

It doesn't work and it doesn't fit. It's simple.
Old 2011-10-08, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #240
Sirisian
Colonel

Well lets take the lightning for example.... its a light tank.
Okay a lightning is a light tank. That's great. It's less than a large tank and because of that it has both a cannon and a gatling gun. AV and AI that are balanced.

A AV max can solo it and why would this mech have less powerful rockets than an AV max but then you also want to give it AI weapons.
Limited rockets and they'd be fired all at once rather than one at a time is how I'd prefer. Taking it all into account they'd do more DPS than an AV max up close, but less as the range falls off. Regarding AI I'm not sure it would be all too effective. I was imagining them using their armor piercing guns to shoot infantry but they wouldn't be that effective. As in they could kill stupid infantry that get close, but they aren't really going to be sniping infantry. Their accuracy wouldn't allow it. I'd assume the rockets would be more effective at damaging infantry from afar or close when not using them to kill armored targets. (Their guns allow allow them to take shots at infantry).

As I said this all comes down to balance and the types of weapons. An AV max would still pose a threat to the vehicle. Remember to keep in mind though that AV maxes can go inside and strafe inside doorways where a mech can't go.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-10-08 at 05:42 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion