Gliders - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Toys "R" us!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-21, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Toonlad
Private

Gliders

Wondering if Gliders would be considered by the Devs as a future idea, basically the concept during the second world war. But more technology based to fit in with the ethos of the game.

Glide in undetected, short/long range ability. maybe the cloakers could cert into this ability, and glide into enemy territory and then launch there spec op.
Old 2012-04-21, 05:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Kipper
Captain

How about one of those "wing suits" that exist today? Not sure how they land though
Old 2012-04-21, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Purple
Sergeant Major

Re: Gliders

there talking about a glide mod for jet packs.
Old 2012-04-21, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

That would be nuts to see lol but I can't imagine gliding and not getting shot down unless you were invisible lol
Old 2012-04-21, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
there talking about a glide mod for jet packs.
I loved doing this in an old game called Outwars. It was based around armor infantry suits that had jetpacks and fold up gliders. You could launch yourself into the air and had a mix between flight and gliding by using the jump jets for thrust to gain altitude and then glide downward.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Machine
Corporal

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
That would be nuts to see lol but I can't imagine gliding and not getting shot down unless you were invisible lol
truth ^
Old 2012-04-24, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
onwee
Sergeant

This would be really cool in combination with GAL drops as well. Do a drop at distance from your target and glide in. I'd love doing special ops drops like that.
Old 2012-04-25, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by onwee View Post
This would be really cool in combination with GAL drops as well. Do a drop at distance from your target and glide in. I'd love doing special ops drops like that.
This is what I want to see personally. Doing a night op with the galaxy dropping the troops off a bit back to not be as easily noticed. Could even give the players a temporary cloaking ability while airborne, or at least immune to being picked up on radar.
Old 2012-04-25, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

We got jetpacks, gliders are obsolite.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of deployible zipline system for those ground pounders to get over obsticals such as walls, clifs, or rivers. That would be cool.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Marinealver View Post
We got jetpacks, gliders are obsolite.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of deployible zipline system for those ground pounders to get over obsticals such as walls, clifs, or rivers. That would be cool.
Depends on how well the jet packs allow people to go further from dropping out of a gal really. If its a quick burn through it may not get you that much further.
Old 2012-04-25, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
onwee
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Depends on how well the jet packs allow people to go further from dropping out of a gal really. If its a quick burn through it may not get you that much further.
Exactly. Jet packs are used more to jump on top of buildings or cliffs for a short duration. Gliders, especially used in a GAL drop setting, would have a completely different use. In a nutshell, jet packs are used more for vertical movement, while a glider would be used for horizontal movement. It can also allow infantry to get into the fight quicker.
Old 2012-04-25, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

In a nutshell, jet packs are used more for vertical movement, while a glider would be used for horizontal movement.
Actually he may be on to something. They told us about 3 different jetpack variations and one of them was a "glide" pack that you used to slowfall. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before but we might be able to use it to do Gal drops of that sort.
Old 2012-04-25, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
onwee
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Actually he may be on to something. They told us about 3 different jetpack variations and one of them was a "glide" pack that you used to slowfall. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before but we might be able to use it to do Gal drops of that sort.
Glide packs? Really? This made me laugh. Wouldn't that just be a glider? Either way, gliding will be hot.
Old 2012-04-25, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Glide packs? Really? This made me laugh. Wouldn't that just be a glider? Either way, gliding will be hot.
In the same sense that a space shuttle is just an airplane? Yes.
Old 2012-04-28, 04:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zenben
Master Sergeant

And this is just a hang glider, right?

http://youtu.be/WgdIE2t8QkM?t=1m50s

Last edited by Zenben; 2012-04-28 at 04:23 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault