Could PS2 be too similar to Planetside? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Polish Suasages Unite!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-06-28, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Could PS2 be too similar to Planetside?

You know, this really is the fundamental challenge of any sequel, whether it be a video game, movie, or even a book. You have to find that balance between the familiarity and the magic that made the original special, but still be able to inject new elements that improve upon the original.

This is the one thing I really don't envy the devs on. There's alot of pressure to get that balance just right and there is no set formula. So I'm hoping Planetside 2 will be more Godfather 2 and less Phantom Menace, if you catch my meaning.
Old 2011-06-28, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Redshift
Major

Armour unlock with purely cosmetic value like halo:reach would be fantastic and really does work with keeping people playing,

buying actual bases with outfit points would work too, pride would make outfits defend them and thus care what happened to the conts

balancing vehicles would be nice, i.e getting rid of the 35 mm on the lib, or making it only arm if there's passengers etc, drivers should not get guns in multi crew vehicles as it just leads to them being used for the wrong jobs

i'd like larger indoor area's safe from vehicles so we get less choke points in bases too, hopefully discouraging spam a bit
Old 2011-06-28, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SRxRedshift View Post

i'd like larger indoor area's safe from vehicles so we get less choke points in bases too, hopefully discouraging spam a bit
THHHIIISSSSS

35 people in a 2 person hallway just doesn't work.
Old 2011-06-30, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Originally Posted by SRxRedshift View Post
THHHIIISSSSS

35 people in a 2 person hallway just doesn't work.
eh. I prefer multiple entrances. The small hallways work. Ever play that welkin 4591 game? It had large open bases and sucked. They felt too open. Maybe there is a middle ground I'm not seeing.
Old 2011-06-30, 04:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Aractain
Major

Large hallways, hangers and spaces with chokepoints and funnels is the middile ground. Alternate and vary the gameplay. Have a totaly open room, one with boxes. Tight corridors and multi-level maddness.

Each room should have a different 'best build' of solider to fight in.
Old 2011-06-30, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
eh. I prefer multiple entrances. The small hallways work. Ever play that welkin 4591 game? It had large open bases and sucked. They felt too open. Maybe there is a middle ground I'm not seeing.
well i like for example, fights in the vbay of a tech plant or through the rooms near a BD, i dislike 60 people lobbing plasma at each other up and down a flight of stairs

What i'd really love is a pure AV (zero damage to troops or maxes) turret above any door that can be camped by tanks that can be controlled and repaired from inside, since door camping is possibly the most annoying thing in the world (for both attackers and defenders)
Old 2011-06-30, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Vancha
Colonel

Amp station lobbies. I always love the fights in there.

The rooms between the spawns and back door (for any base) are usually good too.
Old 2011-06-30, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

As far as camping is concerned, there just needs to be an entrance that allows you to flank the campers quickly, but is completely useless if the defenders are more spread out.

Or just a lot more entrances, where the chokes are different distances away from the spawns.
Old 2011-06-30, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Vancha
Colonel

The tech-plant roof doors are good examples of lesser-spammed entrances. The one on the air-spawn side moreso than the other.

Edit: Then again, does anyone think fights might be better if enemy vehicles other than support vehicles and aircraft couldn't get in the CY?

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-06-30 at 06:31 PM.
Old 2011-07-04, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
The problem is the population fighting for a base is so variable, it is impossible to design an ideal size. The best compromise would be bases that have additional entrances/areas to fight that open or close automatically based on the population of the SOI. More players, more wide open areas inside, and more entrances/paths to the vitals.
Old 2011-07-04, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by KornDemon View Post
With urban warfare I don't necessarily mean fighting inside of buildings. BF2142 is an example: It had some maps where you'd fight inside a modern city, which I liked alot. It had some narrow side roads and choke points, but also big roads and enough space for Tanks and other vehicles to fight.

I don't mean either, that I don't want to see any combat out in the open anymore, but the new game needs more diversity in regard to battle locations.
Dang that looks like home. Amazingly so.
Old 2011-07-05, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
You know, this really is the fundamental challenge of any sequel, whether it be a video game, movie, or even a book. You have to find that balance between the familiarity and the magic that made the original special, but still be able to inject new elements that improve upon the original.

This is the one thing I really don't envy the devs on. There's alot of pressure to get that balance just right and there is no set formula. So I'm hoping Planetside 2 will be more Godfather 2 and less Phantom Menace, if you catch my meaning.

I agree, if they make the sequel Planetside with updated graphics they are not going to appeal to the wider audience. Sure it would most likely satisfy the hardcore fan(me for example ). But if they want the sequel to succeed then they probably have to throw in something that makes the game fresh.

This is just my humble opinion though but I have a hard time seeing that a Planetside with updated graphics would become more popular than its original.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-07-05, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Grimster View Post
This is just my humble opinion though but I have a hard time seeing that a Planetside with updated graphics would become more popular than its original.
I think it would, if only because the amount of people who've started gaming since Planetside was "on the map" would guarantee a graphically-upgraded, less laggy sequel more players than PS ever saw. The potential player-base for an MMO in Planetside's era was infinitely smaller than it is now.
Old 2011-07-05, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I think it would, if only because the amount of people who've started gaming since Planetside was "on the map" would guarantee a graphically-upgraded, less laggy sequel more players than PS ever saw. The potential player-base for an MMO in Planetside's era was infinitely smaller than it is now.
Thats part of the reason I'm pretty excited for the sequel. The online gaming landscape was a different place in 2003. Let's not forget that it was pre-WoW. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 2011-07-05, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

This is a sequel. It's not a Michael Bay sequel-to-a-sequel, like... say... Transformers 3, where they take the plot from TF2 and give it a few changes. I realise it's asking a lot of put an ounce of faith into SOE, especially after they A) mishandled Planetside and B) mishandled the mishandling of Planetside:Next, but I'm trying my hardest to believe they can't POSSIBLY fuck even THIS up.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion