More Infos from RPS - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You have gained 100 BEP for reading this quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-08, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
More Infos from RPS

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...-planetside-2/

Read, enjoy, love. :>
Old 2011-07-08, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
DxC
Sergeant

Re: More Infos from RPS

good read

Other changes we’ve picked out from the release; “seaborne combat” is an innovation and something that an FPS has never featured, especially not on Planetside’s scale. Though the setting of Auraxis hasn’t changed, the description of “open fields, tightly-packed urban centres” is also a shift from the locations we’ve seen before.

That is something that would be interesting to say the least!!
Old 2011-07-08, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Nice read, thanks for the find. I'd have to disagree about seaborne combat, though. I think. I seem to recall a few BF1942 maps where you could ride around in a ship or a sub and pew-pew the guns or bow-woosh some torpedoes. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Old 2011-07-08, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

It does, and i agree it wasnt that good. But PS as a different game after all, set far in the future. There wont be torpedos, there will be Lazors!
Old 2011-07-08, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

"incorporating flight mechanics to make flying much more realistic"

Win.
Old 2011-07-08, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
DxC
Sergeant

well technicaly Vanu had lasers.. TR had machine guns and NC had Shotguns

but i do rember that map in BF 1942 - that was a long time ago now i forgot the name of it

Battle of Brittan was one Air / sea and there was another one that just had both a aircraft carrier on it or something?

But Basti is right the game itself is different so surely there may be room for it personally i cant wait to see the fights in this from Land or even sea (maby)

The systems that we have now should make the game look even more shiny !
Old 2011-07-08, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by DxC View Post
well technicaly Vanu had lasers.. TR had machine guns and NC had Shotguns

but i do rember that map in BF 1942 - that was a long time ago now i forgot the name of it

Battle of Brittan was one Air / sea and there was another one that just had both a aircraft carrier on it or something?

But Basti is right the game itself is different so surely there may be room for it personally i cant wait to see the fights in this from Land or even sea (maby)

The systems that we have now should make the game look even more shiny !
I hope it doesn't bring systems to their knees like the previous one did due to all the players being in one area aka Red alert interlink base. With the announcement of Phsyx and heavy Nvidia support I will likely jump ship from ATI to Nvidia's next gen Kepler as I do not want full support+max performance.

I played 1942 here and there. I remember there being steerable destroyers (not sure if the aircraft carrier could), and I remember shelling the shit out of beach heads with the guns as well.
Old 2011-07-08, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
DxC
Sergeant

Acutaly yea i rember that as well LAN partys were good fun all of a sudden

The Gfx engine did indeed scream at you if RED ALERT bases i seem to rember having massive issues in the crater on searus for some reason that place lagged me into the floor

Cyssor Bridge was also a bit laggy probaly due to the massive open space i loved bridge fight battles though cant win them all eh haha
Old 2011-07-08, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
bjorntju1
Captain

Exclamation Re: More Infos from RPS

So this is how the ''sanctuaries'' are going to work:

One large change followed on what Higby describes as Planetside’s number one lesson; “get people into the action quicker.” Because of this each factions’ sanctuaries are gone, and with them the Hart shuttle. Instead, each continent has an uncapturable foothold for each faction. To also aid with, and to tie into the missions system, players can also choose to auto-squad with nearby groups, and spawn on their squad – though this latter doesn’t work under every circumstance, to give defenders a chance, it’s one of many elements that should improve the new player experience.
Old 2011-07-08, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Brokinarrow
Corporal

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I hope it doesn't bring systems to their knees like the previous one did due to all the players being in one area aka Red alert interlink base. With the announcement of Phsyx and heavy Nvidia support I will likely jump ship from ATI to Nvidia's next gen Kepler as I do not want full support+max performance.

I played 1942 here and there. I remember there being steerable destroyers (not sure if the aircraft carrier could), and I remember shelling the shit out of beach heads with the guns as well.
Yeah, depending on how they do the continents this time around, some naval vehicles could be interesting. Troop landers, gun boats, maybe an aircraft carrier type thing that can repair the flyers?
Old 2011-07-08, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Now, the most important question remains unanswered: When can we play (beta) it?
Old 2011-07-08, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
So this is how the ''sanctuaries'' are going to work:

One large change followed on what Higby describes as Planetside’s number one lesson; “get people into the action quicker.” Because of this each factions’ sanctuaries are gone, and with them the Hart shuttle. Instead, each continent has an uncapturable foothold for each faction. To also aid with, and to tie into the missions system, players can also choose to auto-squad with nearby groups, and spawn on their squad – though this latter doesn’t work under every circumstance, to give defenders a chance, it’s one of many elements that should improve the new player experience.
Great. This means base-camping.

Fucking lame. The silver lining just melted off the cloud.
Old 2011-07-08, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Great. This means base-camping.

Fucking lame. The silver lining just melted off the cloud.
Well, if it has a force dome, it shouldn't be that bad...
Old 2011-07-08, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Lunarchild View Post
Well, if it has a force dome, it shouldn't be that bad...
Right. I'm guessing you've never seen massive camps of warpgates where virtually nothing survived outside the bubble.

I'd prefer if Sanctuaries stayed. They were good areas for staging and preparing for a raid or invasion. They were good areas for testing stuff out before taking it into combat. I learned to fly in Sanctuary, I got the hang of different vehicular mechanics in Sanctuary. I staged operation form-up points in Sanctuary. That's a decent-sized area of terrain that was inviolable and couldn't really be camped - three gates leading out, HART, instant action could all make that relatively irrelevant (because honestly, how long did Sanc locks last, when and *IF* they happened at all?).
Old 2011-07-08, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I agree with FF, sancs all the way.

Untakeable bases on every continent completly screws with the continent assault element. On the other hand, we didnt see a screenshot of the map yet, means who knows WHERE exactly those bases actually are.

In any way, global domination will propably be even more impossible now. :/
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion