Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2012-03-12, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: KONY 2012

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Double-plus good brother, Oceania salutes your devotion.
Who's Oceania?

I was merely suggesting it for political control. It's harder for them to do anything atrocious ideally if we're interleaved into their military and police system. I suggested this years ago on another forum to stabilize the region. I tend to be more hawkish though when it comes to things like this which is frowned upon since it could potentially do much more harm than good (by creating an unnecessary reliance). The real fix will probably be investing in their education which is usually a cheaper alternative too.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Oceania is, traditionally, Australia and New Zealand, plus any nearby South Pacific nations.
Old 2012-03-12, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I'll ask it a third time. How will the USA blowing up areas of Uganda's jungles change the situation on the ground for US corporate interests intent on making money there?
Ok, I'll make it very simple.
Museveni benefits: A political opponent is eliminated, his 31 year regime gains international legitimacy and physical security through U.S. military bases.

U.S. corporations benefit: The (surprise) corrupt Museveni gives preference to U.S. corporations through exclusive or no-bid contracts as a reward for his benefits.

American politicans benefit: Campaign contributions from corporations able to operate with preferential treatment in Uganda.

U.S. geopolitical benefit: Access to resources even in the event of future crisis' (war, price spikes, etc) with the muscle to secure it. Operating bases in the event of future African conflict.

Or to put it VERY simply... ask yourself what the U.S. gains from having nearly 200 military bases scattered in dozens of countries, then apply that to Uganda.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Fenrys
Major

http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantr...ew-generation/

However, the problem of child soldiers has existed for decades and there are literally hundreds of Joseph Konys across the African continent. In some cases, some of the armies are actually funded by Western countries. If we would truly go to the root of the issue, we’d discover that Africa has been plagued with the problem of warring factions and rebel guerrillas ever since Western forces “liberated” their colonies and divided the continent of Africa according to Western interests. Indeed, instead of setting the boundaries of each country according to the geographic location of the ethnic groups and tribes that live there, countries were created according to the economic needs of colonizing forces such as Great Britain, France and others. The net result is: A bunch of artificial countries that each contain several tribes, ethnic groups, languages and religions. When one group takes power, the others are repressed, which leads to violence and rebellion. Add to the mix extreme poverty due to resources being siphoned out of Africa by Western countries and you’ve got a breeding ground for merciless warlords. As long as this problem exists, Joseph Konys will continue to emerge in Africa.

But the video mentions none of this. All it says is that arresting Kony would “make the world better”. KONY 2012 is all about identifying a bad guy, “making him famous” and have people demand his death by U.S. forces. Fixing the true cause of problems in the third world has never been on the Agenda.
Old 2012-03-13, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Ok, I'll make it very simple.
Museveni benefits:
He's been in power 31 years, what does he care about legitimacy?

U.S. corporations benefit:
Are US corporations shut out right now? What corporations tied to the government serve to benefit from this? How will the US becoming involved create an atmosphere better for US interests? Look at Iraq and Afghanistan. Those places fucking hate the US because the US shits all over anything it tries to "save" pretty much every time.

American politicans benefit:
These people have no shortage of corporate backers or at least very wealthy individuals in their corner, provided they aren't independently wealthy like Romney already. This also goes back to the previous point. In Iraq, the US blew up the country and awarded the rebuilding contracts no-bid to their friends. If the US doesn't blow up Uganda, then where are the corporate contracts coming from?

U.S. geopolitical benefit:
They can setup bases places without needing to stage military intervention. Look at Australia, there's a US base there and those two nations have only ever been friendly. With a country possessing as much influence as the US, they could easily work out some sort of deal which is quite apart from any sort of military adventure.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Old 2012-03-14, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
[IMG]*snip*[/IMG]
..... Funny...but sad since it's probably close to the truth
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-03-14, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Warborn:
I think we're talking past each other at this point. The U.S. doesn't want to blow up Uganda, they want to have large military bases there that would let them secure resources in the long term. The most likely scenario is that large military bases are installed, the U.S. lends a few trainers to the Ugandans, and we take credit for any Ugandan success domestically to justify our presence.

More importantly though, you've made one of the most ridiculous posts I've read on PSU.
An African dictator in Spring 2012 doesn't care about legitimacy? Because the people have never overthrown a 31-year "President" before, particularly not recently, right?

You're implying that said "President" has no ability to make business easier for U.S. corporate interests. Corporations bribe U.S. politicians for preferential treatment, but you're saying this "President" doesn't have the power to make things easier on one international corporation as compared to another? That couldn't be more ignorant.

I guess Sobekeus has explained better than I could anyway
Old 2012-03-14, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

More importantly though, you've made one of the most ridiculous posts I've read on PSU.
An African dictator in Spring 2012 doesn't care about legitimacy? Because the people have never overthrown a 31-year "President" before, particularly not recently, right?
You need to get your story straight here. Is the conspiracy theory that the USA wants to regime-change Uganda or not? If not, then what does Museveni care about perceived legitimacy, and in what way does the LRA -- a group which has existed for decades -- undermine that legitimacy?

If the plan is to simply build a base in the region, then why would the US even bother with this Kony 2012 shit? Who cares? It's a military base. They get built all the time. Since when did the US government try to build a popular movement amongst young, Internet-savvy people before they engaged in imperialism? On what planet does the opinion of people least likely to vote dictate US foreign policy?

Honestly, you're right though, there's not much to say, is there? Conspiracy theorists are conspiracy theorists. People who think 9/11 was an inside job, or the moon landings were faked, or that Kony 2012 is an inside job to create a cassus beli to do [something] in Uganda, didn't arrive at their position through sound logic, so using sound logic to dissuade them is a losing proposition.
Old 2012-03-15, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Africans are a different breed or cut from North Africans and Arabs. So, no. I mean, it would be great... but... regime changes in Africa usually come about through genocide, extermination, brutal civil wars, and a distinct lack of support from white people.

The Western world will only care about Africa once it has stripped the rest of the planet bare of resources. Then we're coming to Africa.

Again.
Old 2012-03-15, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
BNuts
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Misc Info

Dude, if I get deployed to Africa because of this, I am kicking people in the balls. Stupid youtube.

Overthrown / BNuts - PS1

Old 2012-03-15, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by BNuts View Post
Dude, if I get deployed to Africa because of this, I am kicking people in the balls. Stupid youtube.
It's ok, the Hipster Volunteer Initiative Army will take care of it.
Old 2012-03-15, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
The Western world will only care about Africa once it has stripped the rest of the planet bare of resources. Then we're coming to Africa.

Again.
indeed
Old 2012-03-15, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Shanesan
Sergeant

I have a great idea guys.

There's this warlord called Kony, right? He does terrible things, supposedly. Lets take the troops out of the now liberated and Mission Accomplished Iraq & Afghanistan and put them in Africa.

That'll work.
Old 2012-03-16, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
BNuts
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Misc Info

http://youtu.be/P7NRCkxivwo

AFT's Ranger responds to KONY 2012

Overthrown / BNuts - PS1

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge