News: PlanetSide 2 Keynote adress - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You are so lucky there are no trout in the forum.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-08-03, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
bjorntju1
Captain

PlanetSide 2 Keynote adress

I don't think this has been posted yet:
http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/439939050

It's around an hour long and they talk a little about the PS4 version, future updates, some more stuff (I just skipped through it so I am sure I missed some stuff) and an Q&A at the end. They also talk a little about the launch, about how the game is SOE's most successful game. The game had 1 million registered players in its first week, and at this time the game has 5 million registered players. Not too bad

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-08-05 at 02:06 PM.
Old 2013-08-03, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: PlanetSide 2 Keynote adress

Sadly having many registered players doesn't mean much if you can't retain a large portion of said player pool.

So we will soon™ be seeing the start of outfit owned bases, if only in an aesthetic sense.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-08-03, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

While displaying Actives would be a much better health check, 5 million turnstile is nothing to sneeze at. Here's hoping they have a plan, and the plan doesn't suck.
Old 2013-08-03, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rolfski
Major

I'm disappointed about this presentation tbh:
  • Very unprofessional, you should not use Powerpoint like that for a keynote in the first place but if you do, please don't screw up with hair pulling beginner mistakes.
  • Old news, 90% we knew already. I was waiting for some real revellings and surprises, hoping they would surprise us, showing some real new stuff.
  • Where's the frickin' magic and spark? I was expecting Higby and T-Ray being energetic on the main stage, revealing all kinds of cool stuff and make us scream like teenage girls. I was expecting a first playable demo of this game on PS4 for instance.
Doing a half-assed powerpoint presentation in a ugly lit conference room in front of a bunch of drunken TRG and 666th Devildogs guys is not exactly my idea of making people enthusiastic about the years to come for this franchise.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-08-04 at 01:22 PM.
Old 2013-08-03, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
mrmrmrj
Sergeant

I think your expectations were too high. This game has transparent discussion from the devs on a frequent basis. What were they going to talk about?
Old 2013-08-03, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Last years was better but they had something to show for PS2 and they put some time into it.
This year was about EQ.
PS2 was pretty much a command center episode with a larger audience.
Old 2013-08-03, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

@Rolfski: Pretty much agree just felt flat and lack lustre EQ Next might have been the headliner but it was a good chance to go "this is what we've been working on but haven't shown you yet" or just expand:
  • Battle Islands - Extended preview of the nexus or something and planned concepts for the other 2 islands.
  • Resources - more in depth for mechanics and power delivery system.
  • Cosmetic expansion - where are they going to take customization, what can we expect from the model updates etc.
  • Next GU update expectancy and scheduling is it on time etc.
Ok so there was the outfit recruitment and a couple of small things - but it wasn't earth shattering.

Audio was rubbish and I had difficulty hearing questions from the audience, had to guess what was being asked based on answers.

Just hope that there's going to be a Round Table report with less glossing over at break neck speed. I'd have been pissed if I paid for the weekend and that was it..
Old 2013-08-03, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stomps
Private

Registered players are just the pool of email addresses they have to spam please come back, heres some gifts to at various intervals.

Unique concurrent users are a far stronger and more representative statistic of popularity than registered players. If it was possible to know and combine that with average daily hours wed have a reliable estimate of the games health on any given day.
Old 2013-08-04, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sarmane
Contributor
Private

I....was hoping for something to pazow us too (even if it was an extension of what currently know). It was great to hear what info they did give but I was looking forward to a traiiiiiin of more information and such for us to discuss as soon as it was released and for us to present feedback by the time they were back from SOE Live. Oh and I would of killed to get access to those player/dev panels and just being able to hear what was discussed. Maybe next time.

Which reminds me, is SOE Live considered a sort of holiday? Or just more work, but with booze?
Old 2013-08-04, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Does anyone have a recording?
Old 2013-08-04, 06:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by mrmrmrj View Post
I think your expectations were too high. This game has transparent discussion from the devs on a frequent basis. What were they going to talk about?

Mostly this.
They dont have "big reveals" in large part because they are so open with the community about their development process.
Old 2013-08-04, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Micro
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
Does anyone have a recording?
You should be able to find the recording in the past broadcasts tab (or something like that, on my mobile so I can't check).
Old 2013-08-04, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Slackermagee
Private

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
I'm disappointed about this presentation tbh:
  • Very unprofessional, you should not use Powerpoint for a keynote in the first place but if you do, please don't screw up with hair pulling beginner mistakes.
  • Old news, 90% we knew already. I was waiting for some real revellings and surprises, hoping they would surprise us, showing some real new stuff.
  • Where's the frickin' magic and spark? I was expecting Higby and T-Ray being energetic on the main stage, revealing all kinds of cool stuff and make us scream like teenage girls. I was expecting a first playable demo of this game on PS4 for instance.
Doing a half-assed powerpoint presentation in a ugly lit conference room in front of a bunch of drunken TRG and 666th Devildogs guys is not exactly my idea of making people enthusiastic about the years to come for this franchise.
This, to me, was supposed to be less the bastardized offspring of a circus and a political rally and more a business meeting with some public attendance. They revealed a few things, but most of it I suspect they will keep under wraps for a larger event come Q4.
Old 2013-08-04, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Mostly this.
They dont have "big reveals" in large part because they are so open with the community about their development process.
That doesn't give them an excuse to do such a half baked, uninspired presentation. People payed serious money for this SOE Live event to get excited about Planetside 2. I would felt ripped off if this was the best they could come up with.

Open community involved development does not mean that you cannot make great revealings. There's tons of cool stuff on the road map that they could have shown for the first time.

The thing is, these guys know they can do way better than this underwhelming afterthought. Higby sarcasticly admitted himself he dropped the ball:
Old 2013-08-04, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Root Hade
Corporal

Honestly I think I was kinda expecting/hoping for some PS4 footage.

Playing PS2 on the Vita just seems so ridiculous, are there even enough bloody buttons?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion