News: CodeForge on Optimization - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It broke my F5 key.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-09-11, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Re: CodeForge on Optimization

Originally Posted by Maidere View Post
This line in particular realy worries me.
No doubt. Remember when the game launched and everyone was complaining and Smed said if you don't like it then come back in 6 months? Well it is time for another one of those 6 month (if not longer) hibernation periods I think.
Old 2013-09-11, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
ringring
Contributor
General

This line in particular realy worries me.
It depends on what your concept of the 'game' is I suppose.

e.g. I know we don't have hossin and nexus and a myriad other things but the core game on which those can be built is perhaps what he was meaning.
Old 2013-09-11, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Maidere
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
It depends on what your concept of the 'game' is I suppose.

e.g. I know we don't have hossin and nexus and a myriad other things but the core game on which those can be built is perhaps what he was meaning.
Then I dont see why they didnt start this optimization OMFG right after Indar lattice went live. I call bs on their timing explanation.
Smed's initial explanation was a lot more realitic: he said that they can't move further and add more stuff without optimizing existing content and code.

Last edited by Maidere; 2013-09-11 at 09:06 AM.
Old 2013-09-11, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

I hope they optimize it enough so that they will bring in weather effects!

Old 2013-09-11, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Crator
Major General

Like the details given in this post by the designers. Thanks a lot for that! Very interesting.
Old 2013-09-11, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
CorrosiveBspin
Private

Originally Posted by Vanir View Post
I hope they optimize it enough so that they will bring in weather effects!
Chyeaaa, can you imagine some Indar dust storms, Esamir snow storm and heavy rain on Amerish
Old 2013-09-11, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Zadexin
Corporal

So basically what you're saying is that almost a year after launch the game is 'actually ready for launch'.

Hooray for bilking hundreds of subscribers to play a public beta test!

HOSSIN!
Old 2013-09-11, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Levente
First Sergeant

also ragdolls would be nice to have. DO IT NAOWWWWW and also the empty cartridges of bullets flying out of the weapons could bounce on the ground for a while like the sparks on wall when you shoot it, could also this be done by adding in to Physx? HALO 1 had this

Last edited by Levente; 2013-09-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2013-09-11, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Calisai
Contributor
Sergeant

Then I dont see why they didnt start this optimization OMFG right after Indar lattice went live. I call bs on their timing explanation.
Smed's initial explanation was a lot more realitic: he said that they can't move further and add more stuff without optimizing existing content and code.
Honestly, the whole push for optimization was probably due to the PS4 release. They realized that the game wasn't going to be playable on the PS4, so they are pushing all development time into making it able to run sufficiently in time for Release day.

They didn't do it before now because it's a major change and has the potential to break more than it fixes. It would have required halting all new content, and they didn't think they could do that so early in the games release. The PS4 performance pushed that to the forefront and made it a priority over everything else.

Personally, if this is true... I understand it and accept it. It would have been nice to have it all optimized and tools in place as they were developing, but they've made MAJOR changes to the game since release and had made MAJOR changes to the game since tech test.

I'm just hope they succeed at making the game run better for BOTH PS4 as well as PC (as splitting into multi-core threads will help both). This can only help the game going forward at this point.
Old 2013-09-11, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Calisai
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zadexin View Post
So basically what you're saying is that almost a year after launch the game is 'actually ready for launch'.

Hooray for bilking hundreds of subscribers to play a public beta test!
Welcome to MMOs. The life of the ever changing, bug infested, incomplete visions that people have come to expect... and accept.

Personally... I've had nothing fun playing this beta... I've gotten my money's worth of entertainment out of PS2 and continue to do so... I'm glad the game was released when it was... I had been waiting for a replacement game to PS1 for years.

Nobody was forced to subscribe... I knew what I was paying for with my alpha squad and membership.... Support for SOE to continue development on what is my most favorite FPS franchise. If you didn't want to pay for that... then you didn't have to.
Old 2013-09-11, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Snoozzzer
Private

Originally Posted by SolLeks View Post
I have with star citizen =P

I do wish more devs would do this type of stuff though.
Oh yeah! Lots of good interviews - behind the scenes with various artists and engineering... Ok, my bad in neglecting the incredible dev team over there with praise. Any higher level of interaction there would involve either hiring an intern with a camera to make a reality show of programmers typing, or literally posting detailed design, algorithms and code. Which would be silly.

Though the intern thing might be amusing enough to garner even more support and pre-release players...just sayin'

Do you accept donations of coffee and red bull?
Old 2013-09-11, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Sarloh
Corporal

This entire list of things... I'll just got back to shining by Decimator.
Old 2013-09-11, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Ninhau
Private

i support anything that the developers cn do, to make the game run smoother. dont mind waiting for new fwatures. its really not fun to play a slideshow sometimes (...many times)
Old 2013-09-11, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
tkoreaper
Private

Anyone else find it odd that they're doing it now? Before the PS4? Everyone of my senses is screaming "They're doing this for the PS4" which isn't necessarily a bad thing because we've needed it for so long, but when you hide this fact and, instead, portray it as an act of public service. It may just be me, but it's more of a publicity stunt IMO.

Like I said, it's great they're finally doing it, but I just have a feeling the real reason is being veiled to sound better and more appealing. I mean, don't say it's for us when really it's mainly for your benefit because it was playing bad on the PS4.

Pointless post, but w/e... Just wanted to speak my mind.
Old 2013-09-11, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

I wanted to believe.

I wanted to believe that stopping all content while they fixed performance was not only necessary, but would ensure quality patches.

I wanted to believe that the loss of staff would not effect SOE's efforts in relation to PS2.

/disappointed
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion