Your approach to weapon customization/sidegrades - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keep out of reach of children
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Which implementation would you prefer?
Only a few customization "packages", but very different from each other 6 24.00%
A lot of different customziation "packages", with varying degrees of pros and cons 19 76.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-09-24, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
FIREk
Captain

Your approach to weapon customization/sidegrades

So now we know that we will be able to modify our weapons somewhat - give our Cyclers more punch at the cost of other stuff, like accuracy, range, rate of fire, recoil etc.

Since these weapons appear to be implemented as drops and items in the cash shop, it's doubtful that we will be able to create our own variants by moving some sliders around - why buy something off the cash shop if you can just make the same gun with a bunch of sliders?

Therefore I see two possible implementations:
1) A limited range of variants (up to 6, for instance), which differ from the default variant significantly,
2) Dozens of variants with different permutations of stat modifications - kind of like in Borderlands, for instance.

Which would you prefer?

Myself, I would definitely prefer number 1, if only for te fact that this option is easier to balance, and that these few variants could come with noticeable visual differences (like a bigger ammo mag, longer barrel, tactical front grip, etc.).
Old 2011-09-24, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Your approach to weapon customization/sidegrades

I think the Borderlands method would be a lot more difficult to keep under control, so I'd prefer option 1 as well. That said, I think they know/have told us little enough that it may be different from both of these possibilities.
Old 2011-09-24, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Raymac
Brigadier General

"7 words.... Wep Pin Cuss Tim My Zay Shun" -THE art dude.

I kinda take that to mean many options.

Old 2011-09-24, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Legion
Private

I would expect the standard types of scopes, extended magazines, and accuracy or damage upgrades. I wouldn't expect grenade launchers or shotgun additions.
Old 2011-09-24, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
"7 words.... Wep Pin Cuss Tim My Zay Shun" -THE art dude.

I kinda take that to mean many options.
Our boy T-Ray son!

From my understanding it'll be like "Longer Barrel - +4 Accuracy -4RoF" or something along those lines.
Old 2011-09-24, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Traak
Colonel

three magazines taped together?
Old 2011-09-24, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Hopefully it won't just end up with people always choosing the ++damage mod and ignoring all the others.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-09-24, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sirisian
Colonel

Not a fan of the sidegrade system at all. I'd rather just have a system where players unlock upgrades using resources to give them different features on the rifle separate from menial statistics changes. Things like buying a rifle and then after 5 kills you unlock a grenade launcher attachment. (If it isn't obvious I don't care much for the whole 20% garbage).
Old 2011-09-24, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Please we don't need more spam in PS.
Old 2011-09-24, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Please we don't need more spam in PS.
That's kind of jumping to conclusions for PS2. All we know really regarding spam is that they're planning to have more types of grenades. Also it was just an example.

Depending on the weaponry there are tons of extra upgrades a person could have that aren't just number changing. Like having a decimator with an upgrade that allows you to guide it a little bit after firing a la Crysis. I could list hundreds of them, but they have 2 qualified game designers already.
Old 2011-09-24, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Legion
Private

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
Hopefully it won't just end up with people always choosing the ++damage mod and ignoring all the others.
Yeah, that happens all the time in BFBC2, I guess it will depend on how many hits it takes to kill with and without the extra damage.
Old 2011-09-24, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Yeah, that happens all the time in BFBC2, I guess it will depend on how many hits it takes to kill with and without the extra damage.
Along with the severity of the penalties probably. There's no particular downside to the damage bonus in BC2, so hopefully changing that will help.
Old 2011-09-25, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
Well, weapon customization is supposed to be about sidegrades, so there should always be some drawbacks. Like a +20% damage Cycler with -15% rate of fire and 30% more recoil, for instance (stats off the top of my head, of course).

This way, there are no upgrades that give you a flat statistical advantage (like in old APB, where everyone would get the power, RoF and accuracy upgrades, invalidating the others). You get more powerful bullets, but you fire less per second and it's more difficult to keep all of them on target, so you might as well just have a Gauss. .

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-09-25 at 02:14 AM.
Old 2011-09-25, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Graywolves
General

I remember Higby saying that if you could get 20% damage upgraded it wouldn't decrease shots to kill much. But that they also don't plan on anyone being able to get to a 20% damage increase at all anyways.
Old 2011-09-25, 07:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I remember Higby saying that if you could get 20% damage upgraded it wouldn't decrease shots to kill much. But that they also don't plan on anyone being able to get to a 20% damage increase at all anyways.
I knew I should have put in 15% or something. :P The 20% was just off the top of my head, it wasn't supposed to count towards the +20% power difference.

The way I understand weapon customization, it isn't supposed to give you a statistical advantage, and is only supposed to make the weapon do the same thing, only a bit differently, to fit your preferences. The 20% is most likely supposed to come from certs, not guns.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion