E3 Resource Map + Resource Uses - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait, we're suppose to wear clothes underneath the MAX suit..?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-12, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: E3 Resource Map + Resource Uses

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Its good that the ATVs are pretty much disposable. Not having a basic vehicle people could use to get around with would suck.
And I wouldn't make them *not* disposeable. But 15 or 20 resources wouldn't break the bank, either.

Originally Posted by Craftyatom View Post
All in all, there are 2 things to be taken away from this thread:
1.) The outlines of territories need to be bold and one pure color. I would really like an easy-to-see map on release (though to be honest I am not in any place to make demands, what the ps2 team has created for us is AMAZING).
I'm kind of crossing my fingers and hoping it's more a matter of the vagaries of lighting and filming an LCD screen, often from odd angles, than problems with the way the map looks in person.

But yeah, if it's not pretty darn clear, there's a problem. The shots of the NC areas generally look great. So long as the VS and TR borders look as clear in person, we're fine.

Originally Posted by Craftyatom View Post
I know that on Xyntech's map (and mine as well, I messed up in that area), the extra orange hex branching off from the nose-down orange triangle was supposed to be a part of the green parallelogram to its left in my original diagram.

As you can clearly see in the ipad demo, however, there are in fact 2 green markers, which I apparently did not take into consideration. Looking at the way they're displaced, I personally would split the clump in the old map into a nose-down triangle and a 2-wide line to the left, though that entire green clump could go a few different ways.
Yeah, I think that looks good, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Last edited by kaffis; 2012-06-12 at 07:54 AM.
Old 2012-07-01, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Here is an updated map:

Red, Blue, and Purple = Empire Footholds
Cyan = Auraxium, only found in hexes containing base facilities (9 Hex Zones)
Yellow = Alloys (22 Hex Zones)
Green = Polymers (22 Hex Zones)
Orange = Catalysts (21 Hex Zones)

Everything is based on the information visible in this image:

Old 2012-07-01, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

That doesn't seem very balanced at all.

It would be way more interesting if there weren't those damn footholds though. An empire interested mostly in air would put all of their efforts into the northern part of the map, instead of it being handed to the vanu and being practically impossible for the other factions to take.
Old 2012-07-01, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
That doesn't seem very balanced at all.

It would be way more interesting if there weren't those damn footholds though. An empire interested mostly in air would put all of their efforts into the northern part of the map, instead of it being handed to the vanu and being practically impossible for the other factions to take.
The VS are the weakest empire, so they need the largest handicap in order to be even remotely competitive.

The way I see it, each biome represents a unique challenge to a different aspect of the game.

TR area limits maneuverability and emphasizes infantry combat.

VS area is all about mobility and long range conflicts, but that's a double edged sword.

The NC area has lots of cover and breaks up the fights a little more, encourages peak-a-boo tank fights.

I like what they did for resources in terms of making Auraxium bases only. It makes the bases the real prime targets, but also encourages taking the hexes around the base first fo sho.
Old 2012-07-01, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
TR area limits maneuverability and emphasizes infantry combat.

VS area is all about mobility and long range conflicts, but that's a double edged sword.

The NC area has lots of cover and breaks up the fights a little more, encourages peak-a-boo tank fights.
A bunch of artificial bullshit in other words. Let the empires sort that kind of stuff out.
Old 2012-07-01, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Craftyatom
Corporal

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Here is an updated map:
Fantastic find Xyntech!
Old 2012-07-01, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
A bunch of artificial bullshit in other words. Let the empires sort that kind of stuff out.
Uhhhh, no? That's what game design is for? This ensures that each region is fought over equally, I don't see how that is a bad thing.
Old 2012-07-01, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
I think the devs mentioned somewhere that the Empires would use resources differently (i.e. VS might use Polymers for Tanks but TR use Alloys).
This is an impression I've gotten as well, and I kind of hope it's the case. It would multiply the strategic factor of each resource 3 fold. What can my empire use it for, and what can the two other empires use it for?
There's this, and I believe SOE mentioned resources or hexes will shift with time as well? Like where we see alloys now, we'll see polymers some time later? This would spice things up, as then it wouldn't become an issue of, say, the Vanu knowing to always take (the purely fabricated) hex X-14 when engaging the TR on their turf to deny them a large chunk of their alloy income. Instead, the first time they fight that's the plan, then some hours, maybe even day(s) later they find they'll need to move further south to deny the enemy their alloys.

Before anyone panics, I'm positive SOE will have the resource allocation set so that every foothold region has all of the resources available to the occupying empire, the quantities of available resources will just fluctuate.
Old 2012-07-01, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
JimmyOmaha
Sergeant

Here is an updated map:

Everything is based on the information visible in this image:

Strange, isn't that the NC blue in the top and VS teal in lower left? Everyone, myself included, thought it was the other way around. Is this an E3 image? It looks like it. Must be a place-holder image and not real time or something.
Old 2012-07-01, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Between angle, lighting, and camera quality, it's possible all colors are slightly skewed and/or brightened. If you imagine the colors being darker and bolder, it'll make sense.
Old 2012-07-01, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
JimmyOmaha
Sergeant

That could be, the image looks bathed in blue light of some kind.
Old 2012-07-01, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I also put VS at the top because those are the foothold locations we've seen for each empire on pretty much every other territory map they've released. The maps have also always had blue for NC and purple for VS, so I think it's a safe assumption that they haven't currently change the positions.
Old 2012-07-02, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
infected
Staff Sergeant

though i commend SOE for hand crafting these continents, its obvious that a square area divided among 3 factions means 2 will get the shaft while the 3rd gets awesome placement. clearly the VS have more resources in small proximity. meanwhile, the NC and TR seem to be so close that VS will surely profit from sitting back and letting them fight each other while VS gain more hexes surrounding their home base.

Last edited by infected; 2012-07-02 at 01:40 PM.
Old 2012-07-02, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by infected View Post
though i commend SOE for hand crafting these continents, its obvious that a square area divided among 3 factions means 2 will get the shaft while the 3rd gets awesome placement. clearly the VS have more resources in small proximity. meanwhile, the NC and TR seem to be so close that VS will surely profit from sitting back and letting them fight each other while VS gain more hexes surrounding their home base.
Eh... looking at that map, the areas are actually fairly equal, but regardless, more area to cover = thinner spread of forces. Plus, with three continents at the start, I'm sure each empire will have their chance at being the empire with a larger initial territory to occupy.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion