Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-07-11, 03:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Deezy
Corporal

[Resolved] Need help. Axial vs Centrifugal fan

First I'll go over my airflow/cooling setup:

I have a Corsair 600t case.

I've added an additional 120mm front intake via aftermarket drive bay cage to complement the stock 200mm stock Corsair intake fan.

I'm using the 120mm rear fan in conjunction with an H100 liquid cooler mounted on the top (240mm radiator) with two 120mm fans in a pull configuration as exhaust. Push & push pull won't work on the H100 because of fan size (including 12mm thick fans, I've tried) and DIMM / heatsink location on my MB. I don't like the aesthetic of mounting the radiator and fans on the optional mesh side panel. I'm covering this just in case someone tries to comment on it. Also, fret not on the psu placement, the 600T is elevated via built in spacers and also has a vent w/ a screen on the bottom for the psu to pull cold, filtered air from the bottom and exhaust out the back.

Back to my dilemma. I'm going to be upgrading my gpu to a gtx 670 this week. My current gpu is an MSI TwinFrozrII 560ti OC. I do enjoy the axial fan's cooling and low noise. However, I'm almost positive it's negatively affecting my cpu cooling (seeing as my cooling setup draws air from the inside of the case).

So, for my next gpu, and to my chagrin, I'll be considering a centrifugal (blower) fan configuration for the cooling. My question is, how is the noise level and cooling on the newer generation centrifugal fans compared to non spec axial fan configurations? I've heard they sound like jet planes but keep hot air out of your case. Is this noise issue true or was that older cards? Now, as you can probably tell, my wiring is fairly tidy and I don't have a problem with air flow obstruction in that regard.

Should I stick with the tried and true cooling of axial fan cooling at the expense of a little more heat in the case, or should I go with a centrifugal setup?

Last edited by Deezy; 2012-07-11 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Resolved

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum