How does radar work? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: There's No Place Like PSU There's No Place Like PSU
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-03-23, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Riekopo
Sergeant

How does radar work?

As an infantryman how does the radar work exactly? Who shows up on the radar? When do they show up? What is the range?
Old 2013-03-23, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: How does radar work?

Originally Posted by Riekopo View Post
As an infantryman how does the radar work exactly? Who shows up on the radar? When do they show up? What is the range?
What do you mean by radar? Do you mean the minimap or the Recon Detect Device?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-03-23 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2013-03-23, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
PurpleOtter
Staff Sergeant

..do you have any idea how hard I had to resist the urge to link to the Wikipedia article for radar!
Old 2013-03-23, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Riekopo
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
What do you mean by radar? Do you mean the minimap or the Recon Detect Device?
Minimap radar, but both I guess.

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-03-23 at 01:57 PM.
Old 2013-03-23, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

No idea about the minimap's exact range, but you can zoom in and out. Besides buildings etc. Friendly units obviously show up on it. Enemies that have fired (without using a suppressor) or spotted also show up. [Correct me if I'm wrong]
Have to admit that I have never thought all that much about how the minimap works. Obviously the easiest way to test out the minimap is to play the game

The Recon Detect Device

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-03-23, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Another way to detect people is to fit the scout radar on an empire aircraft or on a flash. This will allow you to detect enemies within a certain range then they will appear on the mini map.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-29, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
HelpLuperza
Corporal

Personally I have found that the mosiquito outshines the TR's flash as 50 meter scout radar on the flash is not as useful as you would think in some terrian situations.

Normally when I enemy goes across your screen, fires especially an unsilenced round or hits you they should appear on your minimap. I believe this radar was changed so that their is a limited distance around you that it will detect. It was called the spotting fix.

Last edited by HelpLuperza; 2013-03-30 at 01:30 PM.
Old 2013-03-31, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SternLX
Sergeant

Originally Posted by HelpLuperza View Post
Personally I have found that the mosiquito outshines the TR's flash as 50 meter scout radar on the flash is not as useful as you would think in some terrian situations.

Normally when I enemy goes across your screen, fires especially an unsilenced round or hits you they should appear on your minimap. I believe this radar was changed so that their is a limited distance around you that it will detect. It was called the spotting fix.
About the Flash. That is only true if you have only upgraded to the 50m Scout Radar. I run a fully upgraded Scout Radar on my Flash. 100 meters. And do love hiding it. I've spawn in a base that wasn't doing to well and I popped a 100m Scout Flash... that battle went the other way REAL quick.
Old 2013-04-07, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Another way to detect people is to fit the scout radar on an empire aircraft or on a flash. This will allow you to detect enemies within a certain range then they will appear on the mini map.
Not all of them. Cloaked infiltrators are invisible on the radar and if I understood right, so should be those that have the stealth option in their vehicle. When they are in the said vehicle of course.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions