newbie/l33t intermixing - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We don't care, because we don't have to.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-06, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
d0rian
Sergeant

newbie/l33t intermixing

will there be any mechanism to encourage the planetside l33t players to invite noobs to thier squad?

one problem with eq and other massive games with rank is that there was no way for the elite of the game to play the game with new players.

I would want to play with a friend but since he was a lvl 50 warlord of doom and i was lvl 3 peon of mud there was only obsticals in allowing us to play together.

luck for the noob there is no lvl 50 monsters to deal with but then again there is no incentive for veteran players to invite new players into a squad.

should veteran players be given more command XP for leading new players in a squad.....how much command xp can a person really get leading a perfect squad of generals.

i can just see squads of UBER maxes dominatingn the field while green infantry with a suppressors are trying to leech some kills with some hope of getting some xp without getting instantly killed by the UBER l33t MAX squads of doom.
Old 2003-05-06, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tieom
Master Sergeant

You have earned countless more I-don't-like-you points. Go to the official forums. Go DIRECTLY to the official forums, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

In actual response to your post:

No, there is no actual 'mechanism'.

There is nothing preventing people from being in a squad together, as long as they are on the same empire. Level does not mean very much in this game, it does not equal how much ass you can kick.

There are incentives for veterans to invite new people: They will be meatshields, and do SOME damage at least. They will also learn the ropes (and get XP) faster, meaning they will be of more value to the empire more quickly.

You do not get command XP for just being the leader of a squad, you have to cap a base or be near a base being capped with your squad to get command XP.

MAXs are not uberl33t, and you start out with enough cert points to get decent weapons and armor, or a vehicle, or even a MAX. You will not be completely useless in the beginning of the game.
Actually, an entire squad of MAXs by themselves are pretty useless - they can't get inside bases because the doors are all locked, and even if they did get inside they couldn't hack the base. They can't repair their armor, either.
Old 2003-05-06, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
r3d
Banned

Everyones a n00b the first time they play
If you cant help out somebody thats new to the game, and you tell them to come some where with all their n00b friends just so you can mow them down.
Even I help out people who dont know what to do in the game you can ask the whole 3 or 4 people ive helped !
But if you really want to keep the br1's from the br20's thats why you just dont invite them, its that simple.
Old 2003-05-06, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
d0rian
Sergeant

first, Tieom STFU. you are an idiot nuff said.

second, rd3, i would really like to see a system where there is more incentive to mixing lvl 1's with lvl 20's fairly.

in other games there is no incentive for a lvl50 character to just dump that character so they can play with friend who just bought the game. people who make lvl 50 just dont want to have to go though the fustrations of getting to that level again.

the game designers just go and put penalties against lvl 50's mixing with lvl 1's to prevent exploiting power leveling.
Old 2003-05-06, 10:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info
Re: newbie/l33t intermixing

Originally posted by d0rian
will there be any mechanism to encourage the planetside l33t players to invite noobs to thier squad?
Currently i'm not aware of anything they are thinking about adding. I do however have an idea, to help commanders want to have more lower level players in their squads.

Think about this: What if everytime a squad member got a Battle Rank, the Commander got a set amount of CEP. Not just the measly "you have been given 100 BEP for using so-and-so weapon for the first time", but a good sum, but not an insane amount, like somewhere around 1000-2000 CEP. Right now you only gain CEP from capturing bases, which now unless you are extremely lucky, you dont get about more than 2000 for it. Although the amount of CEP gained might want to be tweaked until the "perfect" amount is reached, becuase we wouldn't want too many Command Rank 5 commanders, now, would we?

Please, any thought to help improve this idea would be greatly appreciated.

Old 2003-05-06, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

If I can, I invide only outfit members to my squad. It makes things better.....

And SpikeSpiegel, then all commanders would be set for life Just have all your members hop in and get a few ranks *like all of your outfit gets all 4 chars to lvl 6 in a few min* and instant lvl3 CR
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-05-06, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I take it that you aren't in beta, d0rian??

You're coming at it from the aspect that a low lvl character has nothing to offer a lvl 20, like in role playing games where those characters are weaker.

That is not the case in PlanetSide and the game is designed that way. I personally play on three different servers at the moment, with characters in each empire. Because of this, I don't have any characters past lvl 8 I think it is. But there's nothing in the game that a lvl 20 character can get that I can't.

It's not like an RPG where the lvl 50 char has the AtomicFireballOfDeath spell and the lvl 4 guy has the BadBreathSpellOFCrapiness spell. In PlanetSide the low and high lvl characters have access to all of the same weapons and vehicles.

I've discovered that in beta, most people don't even tell what lvl they are when they are posting that they are looking for a squad. Why?? Because, for the most part, it doesn't matter whether you are lvl 5 or lvl 18.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-05-06, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

Quite true, there are no major differences between a lvl3-4 and a lvl 18-20. The only thing that matters is your player skill and what choices you have as certs.

When I look for people to join my squad *outside of outfit* I look for people with specific certs. If I need a max, I look for one, If I need a vanguard, I look for one, etc. Nothing matters if you are low level.

Also, with 4 chars per server, you never know if that lvl 6 there also has 2 lvl 20s and a lvl1 char
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-05-06, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

However, when looking for squads people advertise their BR ususally. Something like "BR6 ai/av/aa max LFS." Dumb, leet people tend to think the bigger the number, the more better they are (incorrect grammar intentional ). The unfortunate thing is people buy into it and I have seen people advertising that they are looking for people over BR10, or the like.

Numbnuts, I tell you. Don't they realize that if everyone starts doing that the newbs will never learn anything or get any real exp? Bleh. Way to shoot your team in the ass. I personally make it a habbit not to advertise my rank, no matter how uber I become. I also never have any BR requirements if I start a squad. If you're willing to learn and listen, that's good enough for me.
Old 2003-05-06, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Cyanide
Major

Like Mistled said, there's not much in the way of preventing newbs from joining veteran players in their squads. All you have to do is visit some websites, learn the jargon, read the manual to get to know the weapon basics and rules and you will be able to make yourself sound like you've been around longer than a day. Most people don't liket to play with newbs because they ask so many questions and don't know what anything is, means, or does. If you do a little homework before playing, you can avoid all that stuff.
Old 2003-05-06, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gilgamesh
Private

I dont think this game has much of a problem, i mean you can get a tank, or become a max from the get go.!

maybe you want to be a fly boy? get a reaver or pilot a Galaxy, youll be able to do all that as soon as you start a character.

Another thing, its pretty easy to level up at the beginning, so really all you need to do, is, put your Max armour on, hit escape on your keyboard, select Instant action, and start killing (shoot the bad guys please).

With 4 cert points youll be able to fight along and against the best of them.

I would suggest a noob channel though, where new players can ask questions of each other and experienced players can help the new ones, when they are waiting for the galaxy to take off.
Old 2003-05-07, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Doppler
Contributor
Major

To sum it up

*cracks knuckles*

I whould venture to guess that 90% of all squads are formed either by whatever is available or if LFS people are abundant to fill a slot. If your filling a MAX slot (Most squads seem to pick two dedicated max's and anyone elseo who can throw one on for thos eballs to the wall assaults from a tower) then it really doesnt matter what BR you are. (although being BR 6 and having darklight does help I've never seen anyone advertise their implants) SUpport characters it gets a little more important what BR you are, but even those usualy advertise like this:

Doppler (precharacter wipe) Sund/AT Max/Gal pilot+ engineer seeks group of fun loving criminals.

Basicly your could concievably be BR 6 but if the only certs you have are all three flavors of Max's your not really all that more usefull to em then a scattercannon MAX or AVMax BR1.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-05-07, 03:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Addendum

I dont think i'd ever knowingly join a squad wityh anyone who uses l33tspeak. Usualy tells me their a 14 year old.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-05-07, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Delirare
Sergeant

I got a better plan. How about we start a global misinformation campaign to convince the n00bs that leaving the sanctuary results in immediate death and deletion of your account. This is a good plan.
Old 2003-05-07, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

With all due respect, it doesent matter what BR you are at. The only advantage it gives you is more weapons and more toys to play with. People who wont invite you based on BR and not specialty are eliteists and you should find another squad.

My 2cents

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion