News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Woah, how'd this get here?!?!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-21, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
ShockNC
Sergeant

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Sinilaid View Post
Their like "O shit, we fucked up" and running around SOE like headless chickens
It's really sad because they have no control over it what so ever. Hig is the project lead so in theory, he can change anything gameplay wise but this isn't gameplay related. this is business related so it either goes to Hig's boss, Hig's Boss's boss or so on an so forth.

We can panic and complain as much as we want but this is beyond Hig.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Insanekanifer View Post
Yes there is, I would not appreciate high pinged players on my servers. Also language barrier issues. There's two reasons.
The high ping argument is invalid, read the thread. Plenty of US players get over 100 ping, be it naturally or artificially.

The language barrier argument is also invalid. You have more chance of coming across a Mexican who can only speak Spanish than a European player who chooses to play on a US server and can't speak English.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
The high ping argument is invalid, read the thread. Plenty of US players get over 100 ping, be it naturally or artificially.

The language barrier argument is also invalid. You have more chance of coming across a Mexican who can only speak Spanish than a European player who chooses to play on a US server and can't speak English.
WHOA WHOA WHOA, DON'T GO DRAGGING TMACWILLIS INTO THIS!

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-02-21, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
Shanesan
Sergeant

FIRE John Smedley.

Every online game John Smedley has operating under him is FAILING or has FAILED.
This new piece of information only confirms what we've already known.
It's time for new SOE leadership.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
WHOA WHOA WHOA, DON'T GO DRAGGING TMACWILLIS INTO THIS!
Lol
Old 2012-02-21, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by CViolet View Post
Bad decision, and I can see this thread turning into a 50+ page shitstorm. If there was ever a good time for Smed to pop in and say something, now would be that time.
This.

And also, SoE really doesn't care about the fact that people have formed Outfits and relationships across the world. I'm not just saying that to make them look bad either, they really don't care.

We are the minority here, they're thinking about the thousands of other people that will play this game. Not the maybe 200-300ish active population on this forum. They're looking at the bigger picture because they have too.

My issue is, as other people have brought up, the fact that the EU Servers are being passed to a company that isn't SoE. So our service will be that much worse, in return for a better ping.

We'll get content later, issues dealt with later and if we do have forums for the server(s) then we will never get Dev posts or responses.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee people. This is SoE and this is business, if we like it or not.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Fortress
Sergeant

Reason #35356 to not trust SOE with anything.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
Duddy
First Sergeant

Made a post about this on the PS2 facebook page, get some comments on it so we can increase visibility on this.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

<3's out to my Euro Brothers From Other Mothers.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
Canaris
Contributor
General

I shall hope for the best but prepare for the worst

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2012-02-21 at 04:45 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

I think you will still be able to connect to US servers if you buy the US version. It's still bad news though.

We have a member of our outfit in the UK that gets a better ping to Gemini that I do from the US West coast. Ping is not an excuse for this.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post

I don't think the high ping issue is "invalid" but I also don't think it's the end all be all trump card either. I just think it is a factor. Obviously, the main factor in this decision is money. We all know that.

While it sucks to see long time outfits get quite literally torn apart like this, life will go on.

Old 2012-02-21, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Cyborgmatt View Post
Come on guys, these excuses are just sad, how often in PS1 did you come across a language barrier issue?
I think you underestimate the importance of PS1 being a subscription based game.

World of Tanks is free to play and the language barrier is a severe issue with all the Eastern Europeans coming on there (Polish, Czech, Hungarians, Serbians, etc). Those people couldn't afford to pay for PS1. If they even heard of it.

The problem with many of these Eastern Europeans (not all, luckily) is low education in terms of language (no secondary language), only recent connection to the internet and having NO internet etiquette whatsoever. Worse, there are many outright REFUSING to speak English in public chat ("No, you learn my language you colonist @$(@&$!", because they associate it with the way the Russians tried to force Russian language onto them. And some of them can get quite touchy about it, especially the Balkan populace who "don't want to potentially talk with their enemies".

As said though, those with a higher level of education often apologise for their countrymen. Can imagine they hate being stereotyped as anti-social xenophobes.

If PS2 is going to use a lot of in game local voice chatter systems... It's going to be very annoying with so many players. Any time you're in the vicinity of a foreign outfit, you're going to wish you hadn't come there. Similarly, any global channels may get filled with banter worse than what we saw from the CNs.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-02-21 at 04:47 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
I think you will still be able to connect to US servers if you buy the US version. It's still bad news though.

We have a member of our outfit in the UK that gets a better ping to Gemini that I do from the US West coast. Ping is not an excuse for this.
Cant buy a free game, its a download only.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
I get a 112 ping to emerald/gemini.

Stupid move on SOEs part. Why not just present us with a list of servers when we login and let us choose where we want to play......just like before (before the merge I mean).
because they know what effect a 200 ping has on a modern fps...... bye lagers

Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion