News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nuff Said...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-13, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I'm not advocating cross-platform so I can own console players. I desire community and development synergy. That's all. This is a MMO which happens to have a 5 year development plan. That means lots of things change and development between the two platforms needs to work together.
The overall increase in the playerbase will be much larger if the platforms are kept separate. If I was to guess I'd think you'd only get a 5-10% increase in population by cross-platforming. If you don't I think you could get anywhere between 100-300%, for the simple reason that console players won't feel screwed over. Also, there's a limit to how much aim-assist can balance the scales. Something on the other end will have to give, and SOE would probably be forced to nerf KBM, like with Dust514. So you could potentially lose PC players on that account.
Old 2013-06-13, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
If I was to guess
That's seems to be going on a lot in regards to anti cross-platform people. Lots of guessing and speculating. I've said what I want to say on the subject already though...
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-06-13, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Wanted to touch on a couple things real quick.

When you release an update on the Playstation Network there is an entire process of their QA and distribution approval that needs to happen, it's a great system don't get me wrong, but we don't want to handcuff PC updates in order to keep the servers in sync. The PS4 will be getting all of the updates the PC does, but their updates will be a bit less frequent due to the additional process. This is especially true for things like hotfixes or quick balance / tuning changes which we often will want to deploy immediately for PC, but may have to wait to deploy on the PSN depending on the severity of the issue.

In terms of development effort, the entire Planetside 2 team is continuing to work on content, bug fixes and enhancements for the PC version, which IS also developing the game for the PS4, since they're getting the same game. The PS4 team is doing engine and back end changes to make the game work on the PS4. The PS4 development is taking nothing away from the PC development, it is in a lot of cases giving us more reasons to get things done even faster on PC, which is getting the benefit of those enhancements well in advance of the PS4 launch.

Lastly, we're not going to be bringing any console specific UI/control features or changes on the PC game unless they make sense. You're not going to get a gamepad focused UI all of a sudden or anything like that. When we do have some UI updates, polish, or fixes that we make while optimizing the UI for the PS4 we may bring them over if they make sense and enhance the PC focused user experience.

All in all, this is a good thing for everyone that cares about Planetside, and beyond that for anyone who cares about MMOFPS games! If we can be successful on the PS4 we may see more development resources used towards this type of game in the future, which rules for us all as gamers and fans of the genre.

Last edited by Higby; 2013-06-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 2013-06-13, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Crator
Major General

Thanks for clarification Higby. Question, why does console have QA but not PC?
Old 2013-06-13, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Thanks for clarification Higby. Question, why does console have QA but not PC?
I think he meant third party QA.

Old 2013-06-13, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I am curious though, what happens when there is an issue inherent to the console players demanding a different type of gameplay that the PC users might not desire? For instance, most console shooter guys are used to the short timed instanced CoD type fights with well defined win conditions that end the round. PS2 doesn't exactly cater to that although the alert system seems to be an attempt to address this issue.

Last edited by Calista; 2013-06-13 at 12:16 PM.
Old 2013-06-16, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
I am curious though, what happens when there is an issue inherent to the console players demanding a different type of gameplay that the PC users might not desire? For instance, most console shooter guys are used to the short timed instanced CoD type fights with well defined win conditions that end the round. PS2 doesn't exactly cater to that although the alert system seems to be an attempt to address this issue.
well then they can go suck a big one. this game clearly advertises what it sets out to do, and if they want to change that it wont happen.

however, there are already lots of CoDvert "Battlefield (3) fans" on the consolololols, they will undoubtedly check this game out "becuz it looks liek battlefield 3".

i laugh at the intelligence of some console fans sometimes

thank god not all of them are that stupid.
Old 2013-06-18, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
xxxxxCronoxxxxx
Private

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
you dont really have to worry about cod noobs on the playstation because most that play it are on xbox because it plays better their

90% or more of the people who will start playing ps2 on the ps4 will get fed up with it and leave before they get invested enough to try and change the game or they will play the game for what it is and enjoy it to varying degrease, the remaining 10% or less will not have a strong enough voice to in the PS4 community much less the PS4 and PC community combined to convince SOE to change their game in the way you fear
Old 2013-06-13, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
I think he meant third party QA.
Oh, I think I see why it's like that. Cause PS4 is Sony, not SOE? Is that correct? So even though Sony owns SOE they are treated as two separate companies?
Old 2013-06-13, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Oh, I think I see why it's like that. Cause PS4 is Sony, not SOE? Is that correct? So even though Sony owns SOE they are treated as two separate companies?
The extra qa testing isnt for anything but network security. They need to verify that a particular piece of software doesnt open them up to cyber hacking.
Old 2013-06-13, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I think any console game has to be "approved" for release into a production environment by SCE. So whether it be Ubisoft, SOE or whoever it will be the same process.
Old 2013-06-13, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
How about KBM support on console? Any chance you can shed some light on that?
Old 2013-06-13, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Wanted to touch on a couple things real quick.

When you release an update on the Playstation Network there is an entire process of their QA and distribution approval that needs to happen, it's a great system don't get me wrong, but we don't want to handcuff PC updates in order to keep the servers in sync.
I'd be willing to pay that price in order to keep the community and the player base together, and so should you be. It's lasted for more than a decade. It'd be a sad waste to split it up now.

My reasons are strategic as well as sentimental. One enterprise software platform with bifurcate versions for a bifurcate user base is *always* a fucking nightmare. I've written the user documentation for them, I've acted as tier one/two tech support for the users, and it's a nightmare, Higs.

Keep us together. Move heaven and earth to make it so. Offer Station Credits to every PS4 user who buys a mouse and keyboard. They won't be at a disadvantage twitch-wise, they'll be able to cert lethal shinies right off to compete with all the BR 50's and 90's, and Sony will sell a lot more peripherals. Don't take one horse off the cart just because it moves a bit slower. Keep them together and pulling in the same direction. Buffer up the PC patches and release them as the PS4 patches go out. You've just told the whole world there's no technical reason this can't be done.

Give the console jockeys Smedbucks, give them some kind of cockamamie aim-assist, do whatever you have to, but KEEP THE COMMUNITY INTACT and KEEP THOSE SERVERS FULL. Please. You can guarantee exciting mass battles for years to come... or you can be stuck with two slowly-dwindling player bases that will thin out every time some shiny new FPS hits the market. We NEED that critical mass of people, and we need it to be sustainable. Size always matters.... remember?

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-06-13 at 02:51 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion