Squads - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Fatality!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-22, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Re: Squads

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Just curious, how often did Galaxy drops fail completely and within a few minutes so badly that it had to be done over? For the purposes of this question I am assuming the Galaxy wing doesn't get intercepted and makes it to the base.
Gal drops have failed because 30players + 8 MAXs > 8players + 2 MAXs

Wing of Galaxies almost never get intercepted because the Galaxy has such high hit points and armor it takes reavers to take thos things down. Mossie and Wasps as well as allot of MAX AA just dosn't kill it fast enough. Honestly the best counters for say GalGunship is either Vanu Anti Vehicle sniper weapons, Reavers, or BFR with dual AA.

Last edited by Marinealver; 2012-05-22 at 01:47 PM.
Old 2012-05-22, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
ringring
Contributor
General

Just curious, how often did Galaxy drops fail completely and within a few minutes so badly that it had to be done over? For the purposes of this question I am assuming the Galaxy wing doesn't get intercepted and makes it to the base.

I suppose the opposite question is also - how often did bases get defended with enough people to make this happen?

The purpose of those questions is; the initial invasion method could be such a small part of a mission.
Quite often, although it partly depends on your definition of fail.

I can remember doing a double gal drop on a heavily defended AMP Station (with CC on the roof). All we wanted to do was get into the CC and stay there and defend until the rest of the TR arrived like the 7th Cavalry ... it succeeded and we went expelled, despite maxrushes to try to dislodge us.

I can also recall doing a gal drops on a Tech Plant (with CC on the roof too) intending to do the same as the above and we would get in, get the hack on but then be slaughtered and the hack taken off. - I count these as sucesses too as even though we were killed the battle was advanced and a stalemate broken.

On the other hand there were many times when the gal drop was just slaughter - mostly that's what I see happen in the game today.

**Edit - in both the instances above the TR would already be attacking the base but being beaten back by the defenders. If the TR hadn't been there to rapidly reinforce then they would have been abject failures.
The gal is there, I suppose to create a temporary and local superiority.

Last edited by ringring; 2012-05-22 at 02:34 PM.
Old 2012-05-22, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Bags
Lieutenant General

I suppose the opposite question is also - how often did bases get defended with enough people to make this happen?

The purpose of those questions is; the initial invasion method could be such a small part of a mission.
One of the main problems of gal drops are trying to get everyone inside. If your hacker dies on the way down you're all sitting ducks for a few extra seconds. Then there's the tiny doors that made people have to enter single file.

But they often were successful at taking back command consoles on say tech plants (since tech plants were on the roof).
Old 2012-05-22, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
ringring
Contributor
General

Also in the old days with people on low-ish BR not everyone had other suitable transport so the platoon had to provide some group transport.

Ideally, in those days and I'd imagine in the early days of PS2 you would want someone with GAL Cert, someone with Tank cert and someone with Sundy cert so that your platoon can respond flexibly and if your gals drops aren't working you can go tanking.

The good think about PS1 which I haven't heard mentioned in PS2 was that having certed something you could uncert. So, if you didn't have a gal pilot that day someone could recert for it - similarly for tanks - similarly for Air Cav.

I've imagined there would be a recert facility of some kind, perhaps station cash? OTOH, given that when you cert something you have to then spend time 'training' the skill I don't know.
Old 2012-05-22, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
10 people, T-Ray seemed to think platoons would be pointless with the new mission system, but I think we made them reconsider it.
Likely because the missions system is to herd cats, instead of promote cooperation between outfit members.

Its just reads more and more like this game is being designed for the Zerg.

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
One of the main problems of gal drops are trying to get everyone inside. If your hacker dies on the way down you're all sitting ducks for a few extra seconds.
Not seeing a problem here.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-05-22 at 03:10 PM.
Old 2012-05-22, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
When you say released next week are you referring to their internal release cycles or the beta? o.O
Our interview next Tuesday, this is one of the items that made the question list with Matt.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-05-22, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Our interview next Tuesday, this is one of the items that made the question list with Matt.
PSU got the scoop on beta launch despite numerous attempts from media to get the goss first?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-22, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Gotta laugh at the people frothing at the mouth, associating Q&A session write ups with beta release dates.
(BETA is still some time away folks, first to know will be whoever SOE choose to release the info through, probably Smedley/Higby in a games conference or tradeshow).

OTOH
squads, platoons and missions.

Squads, As long as they 10-man and show some alive/dead notification, YAY!

Platoons, potentially handy but:-
Higby also said you can see outfit members on the map.
Assuming this means the continent map, platoons won't be as important.
Inter-outfit plans were usually "we'll attack here, back us up with Air/MAX units plz (or keep the zerg tied up in XXXX base while we rescue a hack)"

Missions, could be very cool or painfully useless.
They need to be tiered to allow outfit and/or squad only with individual opt in ("I Mr Helpful am doing this mission")..
Empire wide missions for global target could be created by automated selection or by popular/nominated command vote.
Thats in tandem to the waypoints and battleplans used to draw seamonsters, dragons and galaxy approach paths onto the continent maps with.

On a similar note please let there be a minimap thats almost ordinance survey in quality(height gradients, multi colour and clearly marked obstructions) instead of that bland neon blue childs drawing (Alternatively duplicate the SW:ToR mapmaking, which was awesome)

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-22 at 09:16 PM.
Old 2012-05-23, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

One Important mission could have been, like in planetside 1, to hit enemy home conts in order to drive them away from a certain continent or base. My guess is that there will be no home continents in Planetside 2. Thats unless each empire decides to claim a cont as a home cont. Kind of how all 3 factions claim Oshur as a home cont just because of its better benefits. So I wonder will link continents have an effect on each other .
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion