TotalBiscuit has been the best bit of marketing from SOE so far... - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Protoss StarCraft Universe.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-18, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

Re: TotalBiscuit has been the best bit of marketing from SOE so far...

Youtube advertising is something I have been advocating since day 1. I emailed Smed last july about it, and he forwarded my email to the VP of Sales and Marketing, who said it was something they were definitely looking into.

Next week, Tray is on 'special assignment' to LA. Because I like spreading rumors, I predict he is delivering game assets to freddiew or corridordigital, so they can create an amazing action video...possibly to introduce PS2 at E3.

Lewis from the Yogscast I believe actually knows something about Planetside/2. I think they will be checking it out in the future. I've posted about getting the Yogscast to help advertise Planetside 2 multiple times on PSU.

Other than freddiew, TB, and Yogscast, we have to get Seananners to make a video as well. SOE: FLY SEANANNERS TO YOUR STUDIO. He would also be a highly respected, person to help advertise PS2.

Youtube is the best source of advertisement for games right now. SOE shouldn't waste these opportunities. What it comes down to is: Don't feed them bullshit. Let them do what they want, and they will help everyone.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Korvin
Private

I don't think too much ads is needed before game is even in beta.

Although it might catch people's attention, they will be highly disappointed that they can't even play the game yet. And some of them might forget about PS2.

Also animation isn't completely ready, which means some people may think it's a buggy game or something.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
kklkit
Private

Originally Posted by Crazyduckling View Post
Youtube advertising is something I have been advocating since day 1. I emailed Smed last july about it, and he forwarded my email to the VP of Sales and Marketing, who said it was something they were definitely looking into.

Next week, Tray is on 'special assignment' to LA. Because I like spreading rumors, I predict he is delivering game assets to freddiew or corridordigital, so they can create an amazing action video...possibly to introduce PS2 at E3.

Lewis from the Yogscast I believe actually knows something about Planetside/2. I think they will be checking it out in the future. I've posted about getting the Yogscast to help advertise Planetside 2 multiple times on PSU.

Other than freddiew, TB, and Yogscast, we have to get Seananners to make a video as well. SOE: FLY SEANANNERS TO YOUR STUDIO. He would also be a highly respected, person to help advertise PS2.

Youtube is the best source of advertisement for games right now. SOE shouldn't waste these opportunities. What it comes down to is: Don't feed them bullshit. Let them do what they want, and they will help everyone.
Smed is really a cool guy, not the typical CEO you can imagine.

Letting TB make videos for their games is really a clever move. If SOE released a video on their own instead, people would not even give it a watch.
Old 2012-05-19, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
cellinaire
Captain

Yeah their so-called 'official trailers' tend to suck most of the time, while some fanmade movie = superb!

So I also agree that in this time, they do awesome youtube ad to induce many people
Old 2012-05-19, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Game Informer had the interview with Higby a few months ago, and they have had it in their last 2 mags as well, in the section were they just write a small paragraph about a bunch of upcoming games. So, no new info, but still getting PS2 out there. They loved the first one, so this should receive a lot of good coverage from them as well once things start coming out.
Old 2012-05-19, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sndman
Private

The video made the front page on the YouTube Gaming section this morning with 211,933 views so far.
Old 2012-05-19, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Last year I sent Smokejumper (Dave Georgeson) suggesting that SOE create a machinima for EQ Next and PS2, either a decent length movie or a short series, like Red Vs. Blue or Strongbad, etc. That's something which would be a big hit with more than just the gaming community, but even within the gaming community an enjoyable series spreads like wildfire.

Sure, once the games go live some fans would be able to do this, but I think it would be VERY potent advertising to use the game engine and assets to make a Sony Pictures produced series before the games launch (and perhaps as an on going serial afterwards).
Old 2012-05-19, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

225, 000 views so far. Lets see if my predicted 350,000 views by Monday comes close. Video has been seen by more people already then any other Planetside 2 video.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
EVILoHOMER
Major

Remember this?

http://youtu.be/-ZuA_q6jbNA

So much better than anything SOE has made for that game.
Old 2012-05-23, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

This last video of his has brought more than a 100 concurrent viewers to the PS2 discussion board at here PSU. I'd imagine Hamma is squeeing a little bit.
Old 2012-05-23, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Honestly SOE should hire Blizzard's cinematic team to make a cinematic trailer for them...if only. Pretty sure Blizzard doesn't whore out their cinematic team though.
Old 2012-05-23, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
gobbybobby
Private

The video was on the front page of youtube for around a day. (at least from the UK anyway, I know its different by region)
Old 2012-05-23, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Remember this?

http://youtu.be/-ZuA_q6jbNA

So much better than anything SOE has made for that game.
No, but I Remember this:

http://youtu.be/B8GJUfhyLCA
Old 2012-05-23, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-23, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I agree with the OP's point and he has some good ideas. I would love to see Yogscast for example do some PS2 coverage.

But it's worth mentioning that PS2 is still in late alpha development - and SOE hasn't even started marketing it yet. Aside from TB's videos (and soon whatever Hamma shows us from his trip), the only other exposure PS2 has had was GDC which is targeted at fellow game developers moreso than media.

I'm sure in time (over closed and open beta) PS2 will get a lot more exposure than we're used to seeing.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion