Resource gaining - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What are quotes again?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-23, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SKYeXile
Major General

Resource gaining

There is little solid info on how resources are gained or distributed in PS2, they're said to be handed out like dividends and shares...obviously on the land your empire owns. But id like to know how do you think they should be earned and given out to people?

I'm under the assumption resources will be given out a a tick rate based on your empire landholdings at intervals ranging from 5-60min.

How should they be divided amongst the faction though, equally? what is equally? based off our XP earned or just flat out divided? some would argue to be equal those doing more for their empire should earn more.

What about how much resources the mines are making though, if a faction is under populated should their mines produce more, or the fact that their mines produce is dived by less players is enough?

what about playtimes, should mines produce a fixed rate though out the day? this would likely mean US primetime players would earn less resources than other timezones? or should what the mines produce be based off the amount of people online currently in an attempt to get a flat rate throughout all timezones?

Theres probably some call for discussion about earning offline resources too, which i think was mentioned somewhere??? (im NOT talking about cert points here, that was defiantly mentioned by SOE.)

These are some of my thoughts, i obviously have my opinions of what i think should be done, you can probably guess them, but id like to see others opinions, preferably not just on the issues and questions I have raised

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-05-23 at 11:54 PM.
Old 2012-05-23, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Re: Resource gaining

You also get a one time bonus for being involved with a base capture; and I think someone did a breakdown of a video, concluding that the ticks were 5 min...as for the other stuff; I'm not sure.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
You also get a one time bonus for being involved with a base capture; and I think someone did a breakdown of a video, concluding that the ticks were 5 min...as for the other stuff; I'm not sure.
i wasn't aware of this, lets hope it is infact involved with a base capture, PS1 had it right that your XP was proportional to what you or your squad did for that fight, rewarding resources for flat out taking an undefended base is wrong, it promotes ghosting bases. the game should promote fighting, it would suck to have enough game like warhammer where those who earned the most renown were those who ran around capping undefended objectives and avoiding fights.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-24, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

It would depend on the value of an individual resource unit.
Will 1 resource unit be valuable or will we need a few hundred to pull a vehicle?
This would help determine how much each "mine"/resource production hex is worth and if that worth could be stolen part way through a cycle.

Possibilities.

One "harvest" per interval determined by a global timer. Or several harvests, one for each "mine" timed from when a base was captured (a bit counter-intuitive for gameplay).
Or on a silo system where resource regions ("mines") dump resources into a "silo", if a base gets taken part way into a cycle then the former owners either
loose out on resources due that cycle,
get only the portion of the resources relevant to how much of a cycle they held the base
the attacking force steals any resources the territory would prodice during that cycle/harvest (2 words same meaning)

Each "harvest" provides every player with whatever resources the tally-table currently shows. Maybe a bonus for people actively playing when a harvest takes place, certainly a limit to resources gained while offline.
xxx units of resource aaa, yyy units of bbb, (values taken form whatever the base resource generation rate is, plus the value of each "mine" giving a .)
Some bases may offer a small resource bonus for capture, others may grant more resources per-harvest/cycle.

Best guess. (numbers are for example purpose)
25 mines making AAA, BBB, CCC and DDD resources on a continent.
every 5 minutes each mine creates between 10 and 50 of a given resource, lets call it 750 total resources per 5 minute harvest. 300 AAA, 200 BBB, 150 CCC, 100 DDD.

TR wants more of resource CCC so takes a CCC mine off NC.
5 bonus CCC resource plus some XP is granted on the capture of the mine and during the next harvest (2 minutes after the capture) TR harvests 20 more CCC, while NC now gains 20 less CCC.

On a silo system, the 8/10*20=16 resources generated while the NC held the base for 8 minutes of a 10 min cycle, would either
1. Would go to the NC (loosing empire runs with what its mined so far)
2. Would be taker by the TR who captured the base (to the victor the spoils)
3. Would be destroyed on the way out by the vanquished NC computers leaving only 4 resources awarded on the next harvest. (If i can't have it no-one can)

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-24 at 12:54 AM.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

After the main system has been established its just down to vehicle, gear and unlock prices and will SOE allow for resource thefts from bases and/or disruption of the supply lines (assuming there are supply lines) and rate of enemy resource gains (if you genhold a mine will it loose production?)

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-24 at 12:42 AM.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SKYeXile
Major General

Yea i figure how much of it multiplier would be changed or tweaked when they see how much a typical player eats and gains, or how much resources they want an avg player to earn, i was more interested in hearing peoples thoughts on how they should be distributed amount the player base. the actual amount earned in relation to cost of vehicles etc is IMO not worth discussing at this time.

I did have some similar thoughts you in relation to seige, but base it on how hard the defenders fought, like if they got fully destroyed, the attackers would gain most of them but if the defenders putup a good fight, killing 2-3x their their losses then they would gain a hefty amount of the stockpiled resources, where the attacker who fought hard but likly overcame with only a number advantage would gain little.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-24, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

IMO its best to stick with one outcome that have it performance rated, tho with the TF2? style cap n hold base defence you could say, if the defenders fail but had ~50% of the bar full they escape with some of the harvest, otherwise the attacking force steals the lot, it would also encourage active defence rather than the PS1 back-hack habit of playing swapsies (We'll take this base, you take that one on another continent, oh noes, we have lost a base, lets switch places and resecure our property, rinse, repeat until nausea).

In terms of pure distribution, everyone online getting an empire based income, plus attack bonuses, plus a simple cap on off-line earnings (30-60 minutes revenue either side of a 10 minute minimum active-login). Would do the job well enough.
Casuals wouldn't be left to far behind and ppl with more time will get what they earned.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-24 at 01:08 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion