Infantry game play style - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because the real future sucks.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your favorite strictly pvp fps style (no vehicles)
Battlefield 3 15 34.88%
Call of Duty 2 4.65%
Halo 4 9.30%
Other 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-02, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SpaceNinja
Private

Infantry game play style

What is your favorite style of person vs person combat, vehicles aside. Using games as reference, would it be the Battlefield series, COD series, Halo series, or other. If you choose other I want to know what the other is and why. I chose the 3 just because they are the major candidates of shooter styles that people have experienced.

Last edited by SpaceNinja; 2012-06-02 at 09:51 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Re: Infantry game play style

lol, you put 'other' in a PS forum... hummmm
Old 2012-06-02, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

If I have to choose one game, Battlefield 2 is the best base.

NOTE: This means the infantry movement, etc....obviously scale and persistence are better than a 30 minute round.

Edit: As for why, that's because the pacing is appropriate. Your squad, through squad spawning, can stay alive through skill and protecting the squad leader, but if you get wiped out, you either have a bit of a run back to the target or you need a vehicle to ride. TTK is higher so there's a lot less spray and pray, people actually find they need to get closer to the enemy before they waste bullets.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-06-02 at 10:10 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SpaceNinja
Private

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
lol, you put 'other' in a PS forum... hummmm
Haha I didn't want to make a list a mile long, there are others like killzone, the unreal franchise ect.
Old 2012-06-02, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Wargrim
Sergeant

The best infantry gameplay i ever played was in a small game called Vietcong. Multiplayer of course. Would it fit the setting, style and size of Planetside 2? Most likely not, it was fantastic on small maps.
Old 2012-06-02, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Pure infantry? BF2 or CoD4. I put down 'other' as the rest of the CoD series is... I'm trying to to convey just how much I hate the sequels to CoD4 and I'm finding that I lack the proper words. Imagine you have just eaten a really good apple. Juicy, tender, bursting with flavor. As you finish it your host leans over and says to you. "Did you enjoy the Apple? I filled it with Yak venom myself." And then he twirls his mustache.
It's like that.
Old 2012-06-02, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Shogun
Contributor
General

planetside 1 of course.
even without taking vehicles into account.
and even with the loads of technical problems and limitations it had.

second up would be unreal tournament. halo would only score with the warthog but you asked for judgement without vehicles.

all oh so real bloody screen brown modern military shooters aren´t worth the time to install. let alone the money to buy.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-06-02, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

I don't understand what this thread is trying to connotate.
Regardless, my infantry playstyle would be something more like a sped up Arma 2 pace -- Cautious, lots of crouching, lots of using cover to my advantage.

Except the TTK is too low. That kind of sucks.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-06-02, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Project Reality, the mod for Battlefield 2. Without contention. There aren't a lot of games out there that force you to use teamwork in the way this game does. Also there aren't a lot of games out there that can induce PTSD, and this is definitely the only FPS that does that haha (not entirely serious, sorta).

Goldeneye for the N64 was a close second
Old 2012-06-02, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I put other because gameplay style defines the game style. Planetside had a unique playstyle and PS2 should be unique too because the needs and challenges in gameplay are unique.

Day of defeat style is great for Day of Defeat.
Counterstrike style is great for Counterstrike.
For a combined arms game like Planetside, I want a combined arms gameplay and not an infantry centric gameplay. Just to insist on that point, USING a vehicle does not mean you are not playing as an infantry.

It's hard to explain the idea if you never played PS... Basically, knowing how/when to use vehicles or to be on foot was great.

I used a lot of vehicles in PS but it was always about combining these vehicles to soldier play.
e.g. take control of a base area with vehicles creates a secure spot for AMS. When CY secured, get out of your vehicle and push to take the base. When your vehicle is damaged, get out of your vehicle and repair. If you lose your vehicle, do soldier play the best you can with the gear you have. With buggies, bail to use your AV weapon to snipe vehicles.
etc...

Buggy gameplay was a great, very fast-paced style.

Now to be more specific about your question:
I loved Enemy Territory:Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It was a "modern" alternate reality WW2 themed shooter with prone with objectives per map.

I doubt any BF/CoD player would like it though.

Edit: I assume you meant non-Planetside games. Otherwise, Planetside had really unique gameplay even if some shooting mechanics were not great.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-06-02 at 10:07 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post
Project Reality, the mod for Battlefield 2. Without contention. There aren't a lot of games out there that force you to use teamwork in the way this game does. Also there aren't a lot of games out there that can induce PTSD, and this is definitely the only FPS that does that haha (not entirely serious, sorta).

Goldeneye for the N64 was a close second
Actually I'm glad you mention PR. Add squad spawning to PR and cut the respawn timer to 15 sec standard and that would be SO close to perfect.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mechzz
Major

Other. Pity to give BF3 as an option, since it is a sadly flawed and broken game. I don't recall playing BF2 much other than repeatedly crashing the jet off the carrier, but BF:BC2 I did enjoy. Short shelf-life though. Roll on PS2 I say, the game we may just all play for years.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Anderz
Master Sergeant

That poll is senseless! But, if I had to choose, I would pick Battlefield 2142. Extremely well balanced weapons and great infantry maps. Overcame a lot of the niggling issues with BF2.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

I'd pick Red Orchestra 2. But Battlefield 3 is ok, too

CoD and Halo is too fast and easy to be fun for multiplayer, imo. It'll always be some run&gunning instead of team-based firefighting.
Old 2012-06-02, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

BFBC2 for me. I loved the feel of that game.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion