Anyone pick up a 7970? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait, Wait, Wait, my mouseball fell out.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-01-17, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Anyone pick up a 7970?

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Building a computer is very easy as long as you do about an hour of reading.
Knowing what parts to buy, however...

First find a good motherboard you want, something quad or dual quad core.
Okay, I'm imagining I'm a computer newbie who needs help building a computer. First step you say? Find a motherboard, something quad core or dual quad core. Well, everyone's links seem to go to newegg in these forums, so I'll look there.

Hm, I can't find anything that tells me whether a motherboard has quad cores or not. One of them has "quad crossfire" though, should I go for that? That must be what you meant...

Find the memory size it takes, DDR3 / 6700 speed for instance. Get 12 Gigs.
12 gigs? Okay, I just bought 1x8 and 1x4 for my dual channel AMD motherboard.

Find a power supply that is 1000 wats, has two p4 connectors and you'll be fine.
"Wat" indeed. Okay, I just bought a $94 COOLMAX 1k Watt power supply. There were more expensive ones, but they all looked the same and I'm on a budget here...

Find a pci express 3.0 card of your preference
I searched that in Newegg, and ended up buying a SYBA USB 3.0 NEC

find a case of your preference that is ATX (all of them are really..)
Okay, I just bought a APEVIA MX-PLEASURE because I thought it looked cool. I didn't skimp, either. $120!

Invest in extra cooling, 120mm fans are good.
I just bought two 1ST PC CORP PFB1212UHE 120mm fans to replace the ones in my case. I hope you're proud.

Find a hard drive 512 gig to 1 terabyte, you'll be fine.
I just bought an external 1TB hard drive, because they looked more durable than the internal ones, utterly ignorant of the recent price rise due to the floods in thailand.

When assembling it, the only thing you really need to do is make sure you get thermal conductor paste on the heatsink to the CPU spread mildly thin and even, ensure the clips are pressed down good and hard and that is about it..... the rest is self explanitory, don't try to fit a circle into the triangle hole kinda self explanitory. If it doesn't fit, don't make it.
Well, you didn't even mention CPU when I followed your guide, but flicking through my mobo instruction booklet, I see there's something called a CPU socket, so I painted the heatsink on the motherboard beside the CPU socket with "thermal paste". There were no clips for it though.

Okay, so I put together my awesome new gaming computer, but it's not booting so I take it to this computer shop and tell them my new gaming computer has a problem. They open up my shiny new Apevia case and discover...

- An enthusiast motherboard with no GPUs and a lone NEC.
- No CPU
- An unreliable 1k watt power supply that would have been more than twice as powerful as I needed, if it hadn't already blown up.
- One stick of 8GB and one stick of 4GB RAM stuck in side-by-side.
- Their ear drums have now melted due to the ridiculous noise of the cooling solution I bought.
- No HDD (I left the external one at home by accident)
Old 2012-01-17, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Knowing what parts to buy, however...

Okay, I'm imagining I'm a computer newbie who needs help building a computer. First step you say? Find a motherboard, something quad core or dual quad core. Well, everyone's links seem to go to newegg in these forums, so I'll look there.

Hm, I can't find anything that tells me whether a motherboard has quad cores or not. One of them has "quad crossfire" though, should I go for that? That must be what you meant...

12 gigs? Okay, I just bought 1x8 and 1x4 for my dual channel AMD motherboard.

"Wat" indeed. Okay, I just bought a $94 COOLMAX 1k Watt power supply. There were more expensive ones, but they all looked the same and I'm on a budget here...

I searched that in Newegg, and ended up buying a SYBA USB 3.0 NEC

Okay, I just bought a APEVIA MX-PLEASURE because I thought it looked cool. I didn't skimp, either. $120!

I just bought two 1ST PC CORP PFB1212UHE 120mm fans to replace the ones in my case. I hope you're proud.

I just bought an external 1TB hard drive, because they looked more durable than the internal ones, utterly ignorant of the recent price rise due to the floods in thailand.

Well, you didn't even mention CPU when I followed your guide, but flicking through my mobo instruction booklet, I see there's something called a CPU socket, so I painted the heatsink on the motherboard beside the CPU socket with "thermal paste". There were no clips for it though.

Okay, so I put together my awesome new gaming computer, but it's not booting so I take it to this computer shop and tell them my new gaming computer has a problem. They open up my shiny new Apevia case and discover...

- An enthusiast motherboard with no GPUs and a lone NEC.
- No CPU
- An unreliable 1k watt power supply that would have been more than twice as powerful as I needed, if it hadn't already blown up.
- One stick of 8GB and one stick of 4GB RAM stuck in side-by-side.
- Their ear drums have now melted due to the ridiculous noise of the cooling solution I bought.
- No HDD (I left the external one at home by accident)
im loling, and its not one of those awkward lols where im typing lol with a straight face, im really loling...well not now...i stopped loling, but im still typing this with a large cheesy grin.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-17, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Sirisian
Colonel

I like that you went through a whole sequence of steps. I would have stopped at choosing a motherboard before a CPU. Socket types aren't important anyway. Get some scissors and cut off the extra ones. It'll fit.

Suggesting a mechanic drive. I love steampunk.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum