Sniper shooting - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: what, you were expecting something else?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2006-03-12, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Spikes
Private

Angry Sniper shooting

Well I have come to a little ishu and tips would be nice. I have found that when ever I an trying to snipe at a guy that is perfectly still and I am perfectly still and the cross-hairs are directly in the center of their body. And yet I missed and the shot goes off in some god forsaken direction and I am like WTF why does this happen? Is there something I am missing here? Am I not doing something right. To top it off i keep perfectly still and shoot directly in the same way and the shot goes another direction. This shouldn't be possible. I am finding Sniping to be all but usless because I can never seem to hit anything that isn't the size of a tank.

Can I please get some help here!
Old 2006-03-15, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Berakhav
Private

Crouch, your cone of fire is wildly inaccurate if you don't, which causes the terrible accuracy you're describing.
Old 2006-03-15, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Spikes
Private

Cool, thanks for that factoid. Was wondering about that. I was told to use the upper left of the center. That has show some promis.
Old 2006-03-21, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

An old member of PSU, Electr0freak, was a hardcore sniper. He wrote up a really nice guide that will give you the basics of sniping, and then even some advanced tactics. I actually just dug it up last night for a friend, here you go:

http://www.geocities.com/electr0freak
Old 2006-03-27, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Spikes
Private

Great!! Thankyou!
Old 2007-07-26, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Re: Sniper shooting

Most of the skill of sniping is antipation; instead of moving your crosshairs towards the target (the cone of fire bloom is too much for that), aim in front of where you think the target will move to and fire when the target reaches your crosshair.

Remember if you are quite far away from the target, you'll also need to fire at the slightly before they reach the crosshairs as you'll need to counter for the travel time of the projectile (which is albeit small but still significant).
Old 2007-07-27, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
TehSoM
Private

Sniping is definently about anticipation. You have to get good at lining up shoots, waiting for a stationary target, and letting your cone get as small as possible.

Also, one thing I found very useful was to have darklight and range modifier implants. Cloakers are one of the major banes of sniping, and the boosted range will allow you to zoom in super far and pick out things like feet and what not.
Old 2007-07-28, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Core2
Private

Positioning yourself is also very important; if you are firing at the same level as your target you'll find it more difficult to hit a target than from an elevated position.

In addition, try and outflank your enemy; for example you'll be far more effective at sniping people from a base wall if you are 90 degrees to them, sniping them from the side and bypassing the cover as opposed to sniping them directly behind the wall and having them strafe left and right in front of you.
Old 2007-07-29, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Liqht
Private

It also is good to roam with a buddy and have them watch your back as a cloaker.
Old 2007-07-30, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
brutii
Private

are you crouching? youll never be anywhere close to accurate sniping if your not crouching.
Old 2007-08-12, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Chorobes
Private

Just make sure to stay still when shooting
Old 2007-09-08, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
theirechoes13
Private

I would say if you KNOW your doing everything right then it could just be lag of a small sort. But don't give up on it, it definitely gave me most of my kills back in the day.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion