Max abilities effecting AA - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because your other addiction costs money
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-22, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SolLeks
Master Sergeant

Max abilities effecting AA

GG SOE, I guess you really do not like air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=m1A1sktJUqU
Old 2013-05-22, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Max abilities effecting AA

Abilities that change RoF should be avoided completely. You just can't balance it well. It either means you are underpowered without the ability, or overpowered with it.

The abilities should also not cross over. The new VS MAX ability gives increased movement speed as well. Do you think any VS miss the Charge ability?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-05-22, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
PredatorFour
Major

Yeh strange design choices there. All i can say is i can't wait to plough over a 1000 certs i got stashed into the vs max ability and abuse it till it gets nerfed

TR get amazing AA now. Strikers and now lockdown maxes clearing the skies. The Auraxis gods really smile upon the TR.

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-05-22 at 01:00 PM.
Old 2013-05-22, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sunrock
Major

Any NC that QQ over this is going to have a spiked dildo jammed in his ass. The new NC MAX ability effects all ground battles. 3-5 MAXes with shield backed up with 7-10 infantry is unstoppable from the ground.

Yes the lock down makes the buster a bit better. But it was already really good and the lock down with the anti-vhecile or infatry is very situational.

But if we compare the VS NC and TR abilities the TR got the short straw this time too as no one can say that the lock down is over all better then the other new MAX abilities.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-05-22 at 01:02 PM.
Old 2013-05-22, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
AThreatToYou
Major

I am so glad TR got lockdown.
Unmodified original ability.
Old 2013-05-22, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The abilities should also not cross over. The new VS MAX ability gives increased movement speed as well. Do you think any VS miss the Charge ability?
Charge still gets you where you want to go faster for the duration it's active. If you want to get out of bad situations back to friendly support ZOE isn't the go to ability since you would be taking more damage while retreating... which you are likely retreating because you were taking damage anyway and ZOE isn't nearly as fast a charge.
Old 2013-05-22, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Any NC that QQ over this is going to have a spiked dildo jammed in his ass. The new NC MAX ability effects all ground battles. 3-5 MAXes with shield backed up with 7-10 infantry is unstoppable from the ground.

Yes the lock down makes the buster a bit better. But it was already really good and the lock down with the anti-vhecile or infatry is very situational.

But if we compare the VS NC and TR abilities the TR got the short straw this time too as no one can say that the lock down is over all better then the other new MAX abilities.
Im not certain of this. A well placed burster is already a damn good thing with a lone MAX. Get 2 TR MAXes locked down back to back and you have near 100% of the air space covered and nothing to stop one or both MAXes from getting up to find a better spot if enemy air is changing attack paths.

NC shields will stop the MAXes from getting damage, but not help to kill anything. Walking cover will be nice out in the open for infantry but those shields will be a huge target and if what I heard about them having just a MAXes worth of HP then the shields will not be able to stop much fire. Then there's the fact that any HA or and player with any explosives can still do splash damage by just hitting 1 foot to the side of the MAXes shield if those explosives don't remove the shield to start with.

I can't say for certain how the new MAX toys will change the game as I haven't played with them yet. But from my point of view as a NC MAX user both the TRs lock down and VSs ZOE will make them more deadly by themselves while the NCs shield will not without extra help.
Old 2013-05-22, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
NC shields will stop the MAXes from getting damage, but not help to kill anything. Walking cover will be nice out in the open for infantry but those shields will be a huge target and if what I heard about them having just a MAXes worth of HP then the shields will not be able to stop much fire. Then there's the fact that any HA or and player with any explosives can still do splash damage by just hitting 1 foot to the side of the MAXes shield if those explosives don't remove the shield to start with.

I can't say for certain how the new MAX toys will change the game as I haven't played with them yet. But from my point of view as a NC MAX user both the TRs lock down and VSs ZOE will make them more deadly by themselves while the NCs shield will not without extra help.
No as long as you hit the shield it self the max take 0 damage and the shield can be deployed 24/7 and will never go down. The shield will not even make you move slower. Sure you cant run by holding shift (default key) but still.

Only way to take down the max with the shield up is to flank it. As you take damage if I hit you from the side or from the back.
Old 2013-05-22, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

I heard that the benefits to NS systems weapons like bursters were far lower.
Does this hold true in live?

I would be massively disappointed if they short changed MAXes again. We had our instant action removed when we could IA and hotdrop as MAXes in PS1, with immunity to small arms...
The amount of coddling the devs are doing for the sake of whiny COD players who can't get their heads around the concept of a sci-fi themed MAX unit is depressing.
Old 2013-05-22, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Rate of Fire AND Projectile speed increase, the increased reload speed is just salt in the wound.

VS get more dmg plus can move around like a crack head.

TR and VS get these all encompassing abilities that effect so many other roles through offensive buffs.

NC get pure defense, and it doesn't cover multiple roles because blocking air to ground rocket pods or tank shells is pointless when they could just hit beside or behind you to kill you. If TR and VS abilities get to change the way all aspects of battle react to them, NC should too. Give us a super buffed HA personal shield. It's not as unique as a traditional shield, but it's a hell of a lot more practical
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2013-05-22, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
snafus
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SolLeks View Post
GG SOE, I guess you really do not like air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=m1A1sktJUqU
If they don't nerf effective range of bursters to Infantry render distance and buff the skyguard air will be dead. With the upcoming lattice changes which will focus platoons against each other. The shear amount of AA will make it impossible to fly against leaving us completely out of base captures. Some of us may be able to scavenge kills that leave the heard but the rest of the fly boys will no longer be viable.

Old 2013-05-22, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post

NC get pure defense, and it doesn't cover multiple roles because blocking air to ground rocket pods or tank shells is pointless when they could just hit beside or behind you to kill you. If TR and VS abilities get to change the way all aspects of battle react to them, NC should too. Give us a super buffed HA personal shield. It's not as unique as a traditional shield, but it's a hell of a lot more practical
And just how often do you think TR's lockdown is going to save them against NC Splattermaxes? That's right, it won't.

NC MAXes are already ludicrously overpowered in their area of speciality. Now they have a shield to ensure that they can reach their optimal range before unleashing extreme violence in faces.
Old 2013-05-22, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by snafus View Post
If they don't nerf effective range of bursters to Infantry render distance and buff the skyguard air will be dead. With the upcoming lattice changes which will focus platoons against each other. The shear amount of AA will make it impossible to fly against leaving us completely out of base captures. Some of us may be able to scavenge kills that leave the heard but the rest of the fly boys will no longer be viable.
Snafu, did you eve read this?

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...hlight=doritos

The proposal included removing MAX AA weaponry and hand held lock ons and adding more vehicle AA.

www.planetside-devildogs.com

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2013-05-22 at 03:23 PM.
Old 2013-05-22, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
No as long as you hit the shield it self the max take 0 damage and the shield can be deployed 24/7 and will never go down. The shield will not even make you move slower. Sure you cant run by holding shift (default key) but still.

Only way to take down the max with the shield up is to flank it. As you take damage if I hit you from the side or from the back.
The shield isn't as strong as you think it is. Rank 1 has maybe around 75% HP of a stock MAX. In a short test 2 AV MANA turret rockets removed the shield and did 25% damage to the MAX. You can hold the thing out all day if you want but it will never recharge while up and will be lost within a short time once it starts taking fire.

Lock down can be used at the back end of a room or hallway in a blind spot to make you a smaller target and giving you the most time to fire. There is also no reason an engie can't use the MAX as a shield for constant repairs/ammo. ZOE can be used to flank with speeds no MAX has been able to while giving more damage for its sniper AV weapons or just clean out a room with dual Cosmos like a round in Quake.

Both TR and VS abilities give their MAXes more killing power at any role and range with a cost to either movement or armor. The NC ability gives its MAXes a limited way to take more damage at the cost of removing all killing power while in use.

The slope is slippy for this one. I need to see these things in action before getting into a real debate about them.
Old 2013-05-22, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I love how every single faction is convinced their MAX ability is the worthless one. Whether this is pure "grass is greener" or calculated "get SOE to move the needle" whining is an interesting question.

And we're not even 12 hours in.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion