Headshots... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dial "M" for Maurader
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You Want Head Shots In PlanetSide Next?
Yes, One Shot One Kill (OSOK) 13 9.85%
Yes, More Damage - But Not OSOK 61 46.21%
Not At All 58 43.94%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-13, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Headshots...

Originally Posted by ArcticPrism View Post
I'm sure there are more of us who don't want the head shots. Besides, the game did fine anyways without them.
So halving the amount of servers within 6 months of release is successful?

Head shots are expected in a FPS; can you name any that don't have them?
Old 2011-02-13, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I can't imagine a base fight where people die in two to four bullets.
Good, because base fights were the worst part of the game. Cram everyone in a shitty little corridor or stairwell and have a giant cluster fuck! Admittedly a lot of that was just crappy level design and not a weapons problem.

No one is going to get headshot after headshot, no one ever does in close range fight. Especially when you take into account 4 headshots in a row will be essentially impossible with recoil considerations. At most you're going to get one in any given burst. Plus, if bodyshots are relatively deadly, lots of people will aim for that if they aren't particularly good at aiming.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Good, because base fights were the worst part of the game. Cram everyone in a shitty little corridor or stairwell and have a giant cluster fuck! Admittedly a lot of that was just crappy level design and not a weapons problem.
No, not good. Indoor fights were some of my favorite fights pre-everyone-having-unimax-and-SA. Long outdoor fights are some of my least favorite, but there's no need for me to petition to remove them.

People can get plenty of headshots in a row point blank. You should look up JH's TF2 frag video "Auto-aim".
Old 2011-02-13, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
etheral
Corporal

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
So halving the amount of servers within 6 months of release is successful?

Head shots are expected in a FPS; can you name any that don't have them?
PS's faliure had nothing to do with lack of headshots and everything to do with repetitive gameplay and lack of a sense of achevement after getting max BR/CR.

Headshots would add nothing to gameplay apart from noobs getting frustrated and possibly ragequitting because they keep getting facerolled by the veterans. That means less people to shoot, which will eventually lead to PS:N failing. PS and most likely PS:N, more than any other MMO, lives or dies by the size of its playerbase. Anything that alienates new players is a bad thing.

Realism has to take a backseat to fun
Old 2011-02-13, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by etheral View Post
PS's faliure had nothing to do with lack of headshots and everything to do with repetitive gameplay and lack of a sense of achevement after getting max BR/CR.

Realism has to take a backseat to fun
No... PS's failure had to do with the introduction of 1 man killing machines known as BFRs. Sony gave up on the game once they were introduced and it slowly declined since.

Not sure why everyone keeps thinking repetition killed planetside, when every game ever is as repetitious or more so than planetside.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

What like all the current FPS games? Sure its a steep learning curve, but its worth it.

If anything a lack of head shots will alienate more players than it will encourage to leave.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
What like all the current FPS games? Sure its a steep learning curve, but its worth it.

If anything a lack of head shots will alienate more players than it will encourage to leave.
I know this is anecdotal... but I've never heard anyone I know online/real life complain about a PC game not having headshots.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
etheral
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
No... PS's failure had to do with the introduction of 1 man killing machines known as BFRs. Sony gave up on the game once they were introduced and it slowly declined since.

Not sure why everyone keeps thinking repetition killed planetside, when every game ever is as repetitious or more so than planetside.
Fair point on the BFRs, but is any MMO quite as repetitious as Planetside? the same battles over and over on the same 6 base maps? Open field fights were one of the few times you saw some variation.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Again anecdotal, but I remember a whole lot of people saying that PS was lame back in beta because of the COF system and the lack of head shots.

Edit: Regarding repetition, how often do you think the average CS player has played through de_dust?

Last edited by DviddLeff; 2011-02-13 at 01:35 PM.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bags
Lieutenant General

I like the COF system. Adds skill (well, the random spray doesn't. But managing your COF does). In COD all you have to do is continuously drag your mouse down and you can just run and gun. PS you need to burst, crouch, take cover, etc.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-02-13 at 01:36 PM.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Both the COF and recoil systems have their merits, but again most FPS players are familiar with recoil rather than COF, so if possible PSN should perhaps move to recoil to make the game feel familiar to the new players.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

No.

I say that with one reason in mind only that for me, shatters any other arguments:
It promotes cheating/hacking (aimbot) and rewards those who do even more.

And it doesn't add that much more fun for me either. In fact I think it limits fun, because everyone will be trying to get headshots only. For me in CS:S it feels like what defines you being a good player is whether or not you can keep your crosshair at the exact height player's heads. Without headshots you get some more versatility and tactical options weapon wise rather than everyone going for the weapon that is best to get headshots and only aiming to do that.

It also makes balancing much more of a pain. VS for instance would be useless with their Lasher since you have to aim it down to the feet for splash damage. It just limits versatility for me. But yeah, my most important reason to be against it is the first one given.

Last edited by I SandRock; 2011-02-13 at 01:57 PM.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I was under the impression that hit boxes weren't in PlanetSide for performance reasons rather than gameplay ones.

Either way I'd like to see headshots do bonus damage, but only one shot kill if the target in question hasn't got a helmet. It is the future after all.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
No.

I say that with one reason in mind only that for me, shatters any other arguments:
It promotes cheating/hacking (aimbot) and rewards those who do even more.
This is another VERY good reason.
Old 2011-02-13, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Regarding the fact that hit boxes cause lag, this was stated by a dev way back to explain the lack of head shots.

Then they implemented BFRs with at least 5 different hit boxes on a single vehicle...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion