Sniper Skill Tree.....Please include Headshots and Prone - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: My love for you is like diarrhea, I just can't hold it in.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-09, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Sniper Skill Tree.....Please include Headshots and Prone

Originally Posted by Rarntogo View Post
Sniper = Camper. I hate campers. Grow a set, get in the battle and die like the rest of us instead of camping on some hill where no one can see you hiding. A one shot kill from a half mile away has no place in gaming IMHO. In real battle it serves a purpose but when your playing a game for fun... the only one having any fun is the camper.
I snipe in bases.
Old 2011-07-09, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

n/t

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-07-09 at 11:46 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Elude
First Sergeant

Extra hit boxes don't cause lag...

If you have problems with head shots because of lag then you had problems before with entire body shots with lag, the only difference is unregistered shots are more noticeable when aiming for the head because it's a smaller target.

I for one am against head shots, they just add an extra variable of luck into the mix which I don't want to deal with on either end. Hitting someone period has a small percentage of luck to it, adding head shots will only increase that.

You might as well tell the game to give you a critical damage boost when you aim high.
Old 2011-07-10, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
Extra hit boxes don't cause lag...

If you have problems with head shots because of lag then you had problems before with entire body shots with lag, the only difference is unregistered shots are more noticeable when aiming for the head because it's a smaller target.

I for one am against head shots, they just add an extra variable of luck into the mix which I don't want to deal with on either end. Hitting someone period has a small percentage of luck to it, adding head shots will only increase that.

You might as well tell the game to give you a critical damage boost when you aim high.
Lag as in server lag.
Old 2011-07-10, 01:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Senyu
First Lieutenant

I'd support head shots being a sniper myself. Make them hard sure and perhaps bullet curve over distance which would make it more challenging and satisyfing when I do pop someones head. It will give players who are actually skilled another way to shine in the game.

And for all complaining, this is PS2. It's gona be different.
Old 2011-07-10, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Lag as in server lag.
nah that wouldn't do anything. Physics is generally done using hierarchical bounding boxes. That is you check against the full body (generally a capsule or cylinder or axis-aligned boundary box) then if that test is true you do more fine grained tests. This is a general misconception about the BFRs also that the extra hitbox caused "lag".

I already expressed my thoughts in the dedicated headshot thread that I already linked. It shows quite clearly everyone's thoughts on the subject. The people that wanted OSOK are a very very tiny minority. (Not that they aren't loud). I thought the argument was already brought to a conclusion before, but I guess not.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-10 at 01:33 AM.
Old 2011-07-10, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rarntogo View Post
Sniper = Camper. I hate campers. Grow a set, get in the battle and die like the rest of us instead of camping on some hill where no one can see you hiding. A one shot kill from a half mile away has no place in gaming IMHO. In real battle it serves a purpose but when your playing a game for fun... the only one having any fun is the camper.
And the only one having fun with a Jackhammer is the noob who uses it.

Anyways deal with it. Sniping is part of the game. And I use it in bases as well when charging. It isn't just something for faraway
Old 2011-07-10, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Well here is my 2 cents.

I will admit that sniping has not been one of my major activities in Planetside but I have done it to some extent. What I enjoyed about sniping is that you could make it effective if you teamed up with a mate and coordinated your shots through voice com. This is something that in my opinion emphasizes(spelling?) team work and headshots would completely kill this.

The second thing is that hitbox for headshots has always and will always be a major cheat magnet.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-07-10, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

If headshots are implemented in PS2 it will ultimately be the death of the game.

If there are supposed to be huge battles with hundreds of players shooting at everyone in inevitability of being shot in the face would happen so much you'd die almost constantly. Even if it's limited to snipers only I'm still against it. No one weapon should be a one shot kill. That is idiotic.
Old 2011-07-10, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
No one weapon should be a one shot kill. That is idiotic.
Triple shot killed everything under rexo.

Many things killed cloakers in one shot.

There were a variety of vehicle weapons with 1 shot kills vs infantry, with an extreme amount of splash.

Snipers with headshots wouldn't kill the game. There would be a few more snipers, for both sides. People would just have to learn to not sit still.

All I care about snipers is that they don't grossly outrange everything else. Rifles should be viable at countering them, like in the BF games.
Old 2011-07-10, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

dont want head shots, dont want the hitbox. sniping was fine is planetside for what it did, and the last thing i really want is to have to deal with one hit kills from distences i cant even see, its an anti fun mechanic.
Old 2011-07-10, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I want head shots.

Head shots even the playing field, so a guy with even just a pistol can take someone out quickly if they are lucky/skilled enough. Head shots do not have to be one hit kills; they could just be double the damage.

MAX armour would still need a number of shots, even bolt driver shots to the face to take out.

I want prone.

It adds a great deal of tactics to the game. Using the ground itself as cover to make yourself a smaller target as you advance, or hiding behind small pieces of cover. It also allows you to check around corners without exposing too much of yourself, especially useful in urban combat. It also allows snipers to no longer rely on ridge sniping to protect themselves; a tactic rarely used in reality as it outlines the sniper against the sky.
Old 2011-07-10, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
I want head shots.

Head shots even the playing field, so a guy with even just a pistol can take someone out quickly if they are lucky/skilled enough. Head shots do not have to be one hit kills; they could just be double the damage.

MAX armour would still need a number of shots, even bolt driver shots to the face to take out.

I want prone.

It adds a great deal of tactics to the game. Using the ground itself as cover to make yourself a smaller target as you advance, or hiding behind small pieces of cover. It also allows you to check around corners without exposing too much of yourself, especially useful in urban combat. It also allows snipers to no longer rely on ridge sniping to protect themselves; a tactic rarely used in reality as it outlines the sniper against the sky.
Yes we really need instant prone like COD that would just add so much tactical depth to ps

and if you honestly think a pistol user should be on equal footing with a HA user then I don't know what to say to you. If I can two shot someone with an accurate pistol I don't honestly see why I'd ever want an to use inaccurate MCG.

Headshots have no place in planetside, plain and simple. I play planetside to play planetside, not generic COD shooter #4

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-10 at 03:15 AM.
Old 2011-07-10, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Who said I wanted instant prone? I sure as hell don't want dolphin diving from BF2 back! To go prone and to get back up should take a couple of seconds, and you shouldn't be able to shoot accurately whatsoever during that time.

Head shots have a place in almost every FPS out there; Planetside needs them to make the masses feel the game is similar to that they have played before.

and if you honestly think a pistol user should be on equal footing with a HA user then I don't know what to say to you. If I can two shot someone with an accurate pistol I don't honestly see why I'd ever want an to use inaccurate MCG. - Bags
The pistol would have a smaller clip, lower damage per shot and less range; the MCG would and does spit out enough bullets to take someone out in a little over a second already even without good aim; the pistol user would have to nail you at least twice right in the head to even stand a chance.
Old 2011-07-10, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Who said I wanted instant prone? I sure as hell don't want dolphin diving from BF2 back! To go prone and to get back up should take a couple of seconds, and you shouldn't be able to shoot accurately whatsoever during that time.

Head shots have a place in almost every FPS out there; Planetside needs them to make the masses feel the game is similar to that they have played before.

The pistol would have a smaller clip, lower damage per shot and less range; the MCG would and does spit out enough bullets to take someone out in a little over a second already even without good aim; the pistol user would have to nail you at least twice right in the head to even stand a chance.
Sure in the hands of two noobs it's MCG hands down but give them to pros and headshots aren't terribly difficult to come by.

Remember, PS2 weapons are more lethal than PS1 weapons. so I imagine with headshots 2 - 3 shots will kill if it's not one shot one kill.

People aren't going to not play PS2 because it doesn't have headshots :/
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion