Binoculars! Should they be added, do we even need them? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Computer Required.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Binoculars, what do you think?
I like the idea of being able to see further! 72 83.72%
I do not like the Idea! 7 8.14%
This is okay, but I think you should change something... 7 8.14%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-12, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DayOne
Captain

Binoculars! Should they be added, do we even need them?

I know what you're thinking, "But DayOne, what about implants?" And my answer is yes, I think there will be a zoom implant, but, what if we want greater zoom?

What if I, as a recon infiltrator (no rifle), want more that a measly 4x zoom that the implant offers. With PS2's greater draw distances wouldn't it be handy to have a 8x or even a 12x zoom pair of bino's? I'd certainly be willing to give up an equipment slot for them.

This also open up a range of new items to unlock. I think we all agree that having thermal or NV planted directly into your eyes is a bit over powered but having to give up an equipment slot for them, perhaps replacing grenades, and them being equipable forcing you into not being able to have a weapon while looking through them. This, IMO, would not be too OP.

So, what do you think? Equipable Binoculars, yay, neigh or something else?
Old 2012-06-12, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Binoculars! Should they be added, do we even need them?

Has info even been released that there would be a 4X zoom implant? This is the aim down sight era, you will have a scope of varying magnifications(I am guessing).

That said, yes to binoculars.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Canaris
Contributor
General

I liked how in PS 1 you all had a free zoom, like all helms had a built in view magnifier.

I'm a yes to binoc's maybe not in the form of having to equip them to use, just by activating your built in ones?
trade off of using them is no shooting while in binoc mode

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-06-12, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

I could see this for the infiltrator when they arent in sniper mode or something. They are supposed to be spotters I believe. They need something , the class role just seems so lacklustre now.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Better equipment for roles that help to support the rest of the team is always a good thing.

Especially if it gets more infiltrators to tell us the state of the battlefield instead of just sunning themselves .

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
I'm a yes to binoc's maybe not in the form of having to equip them to use, just by activating your built in ones?
trade off of using them is no shooting while in binoc mode
I thought of as an equipable as a balance to possibly having thermal or NV variants (LOTS of certs needed though).
Old 2012-06-12, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ailos
Contributor
Major

With how far their draw distances are in the unoptimized game clients we've see so far, bring it on! Would be useful not just for sniping but for in-situ artillery via tank shells, and if more artillery-style vehicles make it in later in the game.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-06-12, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Deadeye
Sergeant

The in-helmet zoom was incredibly useful in PS1. Sometimes it was the only way to tell an enemy from a friendly or see what some dot on your screen was at long range. I do hope it makes a comeback in 2.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

There isn't much reason for "balance" even with NV/thermal additions.

You will likely have the ability to use NV on infantry as it stands. Vehicles have that as an available cert so why not scopes? In fact I believe I saw someone's scope use NV in a video.

I'd say just make it part of the helmet and useable with any weapon, sort of a built in scope. The binoculars wouldn't have built in NV, that would depend on the weapon you use. But they would work with the weapon's scope so that you could have NV while at 16x zoom.

PS1 had an implant that gave you 16x zoom with a minimum zoom of 8x, this replaced ALL weapon zooms so you had 16x zoom on normal assault rifles as well as AV weapons and sniper rifles, or even pistols. You also had this zoom without a weapon equipped as well. Wasn't used very much but it was handy for those of us who switched from one long range weapon to another (Bolt Driver to Lancer and back) as it didn't force you out of zoom to switch weapons, eye on the target.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

I want binoculars too.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

They would be nice, be able to have a spotter next to me as i head shot people haha, also you could spot snipers with it as well.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vanu Techpriest
Corporal

Binocs seem kind of antiquated considering you have hovertanks and energy weapons. I would prefer it to be a zoom that is built into the helmets as a heads-up display rather than a separate piece of equipment that you need to pull out.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Jonny
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vanu Techpriest View Post
Binocs seem kind of antiquated considering you have hovertanks and energy weapons. I would prefer it to be a zoom that is built into the helmets as a heads-up display rather than a separate piece of equipment that you need to pull out.
This plus thermal/infra red views.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Visperas
Private

I'd like them to be ingame but I don't think the draw distance for objects, not landscape, will be large enough to make them useful. From the videos I'd say that the landscape draw distance is pretty good but I'm not sure about players and vehicles.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ElectroEsper
Private

I need those binoculars ! Im a project reality squad leader, so not having them would really disturbing for me I would say
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion