Planetside 2 and MLG: an e-sports Future? the mittani - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: NC: They're GRREEATTT!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-03-18, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Planetside 2 and MLG: an e-sports Future? the mittani

i read this very interesting article on the mittani and wanted to share it here

http://themittani.com/features/plane...esports-future
Old 2013-03-18, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Assist
Contributor
Major

Re: Planetside 2 and MLG: an e-sports Future? the mittani

I wonder if that 48v48 is a set number.

They had stated before that there would be multiple ladders based on outfit size, wondering if that got tossed already?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-18, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I wonder if that 48v48 is a set number.

They had stated before that there would be multiple ladders based on outfit size, wondering if that got tossed already?
Nope, not tossed. The multiple ladders are so that smaller outfits aren't competing with mega outfits for qualification, but with other outfits with similar manpower. Once qualified the outfits, no matter the size, will send platoon sized force for the battles to keep things even. This is just a first phase. Ps2 is capable of doing 12 v 12 or 250 vs 250 and exploring how we can make those and everything in between work is something we will do at some point. For now were concentratingon getting one size "match" working well. Platoon size felt like the right balance.
Old 2013-03-18, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Nope, not tossed. The multiple ladders are so that smaller outfits aren't competing with mega outfits for qualification, but with other outfits with similar manpower. Once qualified the outfits, no matter the size, will send platoon sized force for the battles to keep things even. This is just a first phase. Ps2 is capable of doing 12 v 12 or 250 vs 250 and exploring how we can make those and everything in between work is something we will do at some point. For now were concentratingon getting one size "match" working well. Platoon size felt like the right balance.
12v12 is wheres its at Higby.
Old 2013-03-18, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Platoon sized? still a bit big. Even if its not the "main event," I would like to see 12v12 still supported in ladders.

Last edited by Rahabib; 2013-03-18 at 02:00 PM.
Old 2013-03-18, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

Honestly, I think that a 48v48 fight is too large for an event of this size. You can't get the tight teamwork and coordination that is required to succeed in an event like this.

Secondly, any outfit with less than 200 members is going to struggle to get 1/4th of their member base online at a single time.
Old 2013-03-18, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Roy Awesome View Post
Honestly, I think that a 48v48 fight is too large for an event of this size. You can't get the tight teamwork and coordination that is required to succeed in an event like this.

Secondly, any outfit with less than 200 members is going to struggle to get 1/4th of their member base online at a single time.
yea I hope SOE knows what they are doing. Think about this. Finding 5-10 people willing to pay to travel to an event is one thing. 48 is another. Is SOE going to pay for 96 round trip tickets, food, lodging, etc. to host a finals match? Or will this be online only second billing (likely - bring on the hackers).

Now the winning team has to split the purse 48 ways... so that greatly diminishes the value of a "professional" level competitors - so now its more amature league, which is ok I suppose.

So unless SOE is doing really really well, this is just another in game ladder that has a MLG sticker slapped on it. No "pros" are going to take this serious.

Then theres the whole, lets get 48 people to show up for matches, so now we are down to maybe 2-3 teams that can play each other.

so yea, Higby is really quiet about details, and it makes me think they really haven't thought this through enough. I mean why half ass the announcement if you dont know how its going to work.

Last edited by Rahabib; 2013-03-18 at 03:03 PM.
Old 2013-03-18, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Roy Awesome View Post

I disagree. While true in other games, including Planetside 1, many games have succeeded in fielding large numbers and some very often. Everquest, Everquest 2, and even vanilla WoW all had many raids that required 40 people. In WoW's case many of these guilds/outfits were in the 50-80 member range and fielded 40+ people 3-5 times a week up until the first WoW expansion came out.

I think people understand that MLG is for a rather specific player group but those same people don't seem to understand the level of dedication required for it. It's a competition level league that you have to earn to be a part of, not be given it. Sure everyone has a chance to be apart of the ladder and ranking system, but make no mistake people will be forming outfits specifically for MLG PS2, just like is done in other games.
Think of the number of players who play Starcraft 2 for example, think about how many of them are part of MLG. Everyone has a chance, only those crazy good, sometimes no-lifers, are the ones who really go far in it.

Originally Posted by Rahabib View Post
I didn't read the article
You really should read the article, it's what this thread is about.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-03-18 at 03:41 PM.
Old 2013-03-18, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I disagree. While true in other games, including Planetside 1, many games have succeeded in fielding large numbers and some very often. Everquest, Everquest 2, and even vanilla WoW all had many raids that required 40 people. In WoW's case many of these guilds/outfits were in the 50-80 member range and fielded 40+ people 3-5 times a week up until the first WoW expansion came out.

I think people understand that MLG is for a rather specific player group but those same people don't seem to understand the level of dedication required for it. It's a competition level league that you have to earn to be a part of, not be given it. Sure everyone has a chance to be apart of the ladder and ranking system, but make no mistake people will be forming outfits specifically for MLG PS2, just like is done in other games.
Think of the number of players who play Starcraft 2 for example, think about how many of them are part of MLG. Everyone has a chance, only those crazy good, sometimes no-lifers, are the ones who really go far in it.

You really should read the article, it's what this thread is about.
I did read the article. It was an author stating his opinion:
How Could This Work?
Allow me to explain my vision for this.
not how they are they are actually doing it. Also he talks about using Station Cash - not a good enough incentive.
no where does he address where it fits in with MLG as far as online only (ladder is - we know this) or in person (finals as most other MLG games). The only real info we have is:
Here are a few details Higby laid out about PS2 in MLG:
  • It will be 48v48, meaning Platoon vs Platoon
  • Teams will only be able to practice in the open world. No private instanced servers for practice, so that each team is always involved in the conflict on the servers.
  • There will be objectives within the bases and map.
  • Weapon choices will be limited based on balance.
If I missed something feel free to quote the article for me.
Old 2013-03-18, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CzuukWaterson
Sergeant

Nice. Although it looks like I've got some coaching to do. I thought we were a small outfit.
Old 2013-03-18, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Assist
Contributor
Major

Fair enough, have to start somewhere and I'd rather see the competition be at the Platoon size than the smaller arena sizes first.

What about the weapon balance? Is this specific to infantry or does this include limiting vehicles?
Old 2013-03-18, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

250 v 250 is more like it! I suppose I could get behind something like that.

That should really showcase the scale and potential of this game instead of looking like some kinda Battlefield knockoff with this platoon vs platoon bit.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-03-19, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
FireStormNova
Corporal

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
250 v 250 is more like it! I suppose I could get behind something like that.

That should really showcase the scale and potential of this game instead of looking like some kinda Battlefield knockoff with this platoon vs platoon bit.
Yea i agree! They should put the others games to shame and show what the system can realy do and what the other games can't do. Massive battles!

The only problem is getting people to avoid the zerg fest and to be more tactical!
Old 2013-03-18, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

Thanks Higby!

Some interesting ideas on that article as well regarding the Observer Cam.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-18, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea 48v48 platoon sized will definitely rule out lots of outfits, mine included.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion