10 second respawn time - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bathing? What's that?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-20, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
xnorb
Sergeant

Re: 10 second respawn time

Not the spawn timer itself is the problem.
The only issue with respawning is how long it takes you to get back into battle.

In Battlefield 3 (as i think it's a well known title) every time you spawn
you're right in the action again. Flags are clustered and in worst case you
can always spawn on your squad mates.
So lowering the respawn there, it's like fighting zombies because as soon
as you wiped out a squad, it will be back up again.

So if you got a 5 seconds respawn timer in PS2, but can only spawn in base
which takes you at least 30 seconds to be back in action, it makes the
actual respawn time not that much of an issue.

The only thing:
If PS2 forces us to spawn far away, then there need to be LOADS of transport
vehicles availabe. There should be always a vehicle around when someone spawns.

P.S. The "death penalty" thing ... LOL
You think you can punish them by adding 5 seconds to the respawn timer ?
That doesn't matter.
The punishment is the death itself.
No matter if respawn time is 5 seconds or 120 seconds.
If respawn timer is too long people will simply drop the game as they spend more
time on the respawn screen than in actual fighting.

Last edited by xnorb; 2012-06-20 at 11:46 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

My thoughts exactly. The reason I said BF3 had it right is because there is a timer but its short enough so you don't want to kill yourself staring at the respawn screen. Humans are fickle creatures and are quickly bored by timers and menus.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Dairian
Sergeant

As it probably has been said. The demo was meant for E3. Get them in the fight. NOW! Lets wait for beta.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
super pretendo
First Sergeant

The punishment is the death itself
But it isn't at all. Maybe for someone with a really fragile ego or something, but it isn't a punishment as much as it is a cost. Being outplayed should cost you and your something. I'm not talking about a one minute respawn. A few seconds added would make a big difference in the long run flow of battle and tactical considerations, but won't really be noticed by players, which is all the better.

And yeah, effective respawn time includes travel time, which players should be able to circumvent by coordinating with transports.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Absentis
Corporal

I think a variable spawn time based on how far away each spawn is relative to the death would be a good middle ground so it would take a similar amount of time to get back to where you were from either spawn. This time depends on whether or not you decide to respawn near a vehicle pad or not.

For example, you die and decide to spawn near a vehicle pad, this time will be shorter within a reasonable area than if you decided to spawn at a point closer to your death, such as a galaxy spawn. This would also help to keep momentum in the action by having units come consistently to the battle without making it a complete meat-grinder. The exact value of the spawn time plus travel would have to be tested in beta so it's not too long or short.

I would also be completely fine with a base respawn of ten seconds to keep faction numbers potentially non-linear and having convoys/aircraft fleets coming in bursts.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
I clocked it from the E3 video. I am happy to see there IS in fact any respawn time at all, but 10 seconds to come back doesn't seem like it makes death much of a consideration at all. Taking out someone doesn't seem to satisfying or even important, since they just pop right back out in a few seconds. What does everyone think?

I hope they make it something like 20 seconds. Not disruptive to people wanting to get back into the action, but it will make those same people think for a moment before rushing in headlong ad nauseam.

An alternative to a 20 second respawn time is a ticket system, where having many respawns has a negative effect on the player and/or faction that is constantly dying.
MAG as a 20 sec respawn time and it could be anoying as hell but the worst part is in planetside 2 you have 80 % less chance to get revive so 10 second look fine to me 10 second in a middle of a huge battle feel like eternity !

Stop trying to push to much restriction to make the game unplayable for an overall audiance !

The worst players will die the most so they will enjoy the game spending their time in a countdown timmer sreen to repawn ? die in few seconds and get back to a 20 secondes screen I say No way its a game killer to have numbers

battlefield have a 5 seconds timer and its fine

Punishing dead for people already BAD dont seam to be a good idea it will promote camping far away because they will be afraid to die because they dont want to spend all their playtime in a count down screen !

And also it will ruins the game overall many people will find it boring and anoying to have to wait over 20 second to get back into the action or on the map at least !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-21 at 12:14 AM.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
super pretendo
First Sergeant

This isn't battlefield 3. They are not making Battlefield 3: Future warfare. Stop making the comparison, they are different games.

"I have a very short attention and I am too careless to not die all the time" is not and will never be a valid argument. The only valid arguments are ones that actually pertain to the flow of the overall battlefield and what the timers lend to strategic and tactical considerations.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
noxious
Second Lieutenant

A respawn timer is only one of many mechanisms available to punish death. Travel time to get back to the fight, resource costs (vehicles, MAXes, consumables such as grenades) and persistent stats also incentivize avoiding death.

The respawn timer itself is likely to be adjusted. Base defenders, for example, are almost guaranteed to end up with a lengthier respawn timer (see: Team Fortress 2 or the original PlanetSide) or else stalemates will occur too frequently. It is reasonable to assume that these adjustments won't be a focus until the dev team has access to a bunch of data to analyze (beta).

Last edited by noxious; 2012-06-21 at 12:19 AM.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
More players = higher population = more money for SOE = longer game lifespan

If you want a game to go big, you have to make a couple concessions. The market demands it. I think a standard 10 second respawn timer is fair. It gets people back into action faster, accommodates the bulk of the shooter market, and doesn't jeopardize the game itself.
Agree some people think SOE make this game to please themself and their own taste they dont think thats we have to make some few sacrifice and accept those to get a decent numbers of players to play the game and also to suport the game further with new contents etc..
Old 2012-06-21, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Casual players have much lower ARPU than hardcore players, and deeper games that players are emotionally invested in more have higher ARPU. But that's not the topic of discussion. In this magical space of a thread, we can discuss what will lend positives to the overall game visions and experience, not what will appeal to one demographic more.

Is this too much to ask?

Last edited by super pretendo; 2012-06-21 at 12:21 AM.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Stew
Major

This isn't battlefield 3. They are not making Battlefield 3: Future warfare. Stop making the comparison, they are different games.

"I have a very short attention and I am too careless to not die all the time" is not and will never be a valid argument. The only valid arguments are ones that actually pertain to the flow of the overall battlefield and what the timers lend to strategic and tactical considerations.
Dude iam pretty much sure i have more Shooters experience than you iam almost 99 % convince of thats !

And i say multiple time this isnt about me This is about the game sucess

Iam not a bad player so i will not die to often so i dont care about this pityful timer idea for me its just a copy and past of the MAG wave timers ! but planetside is a open wold and its very different than MAG

In planetside 2 people can repawn in a galaxie really far from the based and squad spawn is limited already

THE E3 DEMO WAS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE TRUE reinforcement flow since the vs tr and nc outpost was at few feets away from the base so all you have seen is biased and this idea dont even make sens

also think about bad players the 20 sec timers kill the game for those they were passing their time in a god damned loading screen you got thats ?

I dont have a issue about it ive play MAG for about 2000 hours so yeah i can deal whith thats whiiout any trouble i had a 3.45 to 10 kdr in each game so i was not dying thats much !

I care about the sucess of the game not just about myself !

If their is no more player based after few days because of those punishing mechanics it will ruins the game i want the game to suceed !

SO IAM AGAINS YOUR IDEA 100 % AGAINS IT Not for me but for those who need to be there play the game and enjoy it and suport it even if they are not at my level !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-21 at 12:29 AM.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
super pretendo
First Sergeant

not precisely sure what you're saying, but I am aware that the E3 demo is not the final state of the game. But as far as I know it's all the we have to go on, and I'd like to discuss the respawn aspect of the game.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Stew
Major

not precisely sure what you're saying, but I am aware that the E3 demo is not the final state of the game. But as far as I know it's all the we have to go on, and I'd like to discuss the respawn aspect of the game.
It seams you dont got the whole thing ( the e3 demo ) was vs outpost tr outpost and nc outpost at few feets from the actual base this will not happen so often in the actual game

In the real planetside sometime the respawn vehicules or frindly outpost will be at miles away from the very battle so just traveling to thats location agains could take time for many people not all because some will have well defended suderer or galaxies with big outfits etc..

But the most players who just jump ito the game must enjoy it imediatly and this sort of timer punishement will ruins their experience and make them quit

So 10 second is more than enough

if you ask me i will say i prefere to deal with a short time to respawn than dealing whith a almost dead game after few days or weeks !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-21 at 12:36 AM.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
super pretendo
First Sergeant

No, I totally understand that the E3 demo had special features in place to make it work for the demo. That's not what I am talking about.

And if 5 more seconds of respawn time really upsets you, then you should put a little more care into tactics so you don't die as much
Old 2012-06-21, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

10 seconds is a fair time.

But if you honestly die in the blink of an eye because of TTK you can't make it much longer because it will only serve to frustrate.

You need to strike a balance where people feel like they get enough time in combat and aren't spending most of the time waiting for spawn or getting into an engagement.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion