"Speeding it up" - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The best damn state-university in Pennsylvania...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like the idea of "speeding up" the game
Yes 48 22.22%
No 76 35.19%
Too early to have an opinion 85 39.35%
I don't care either way 7 3.24%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-18, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: "Speeding it up"

I do fear that the game will be too fast and the person who wins will be the 15 y. o. with the fastest reflexes....
Old 2012-05-18, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Dark Skyes (my outfit) always tried to move fast.

With a quicker TTK and quicker travel this just means that your leadership is going to need to be quicker. (or the synergy of your group). Your enemies will fall faster and your allies will too.

Just be bolder.
This is the "just adapt" argument in defense of a faster pace. There are two aspects of adaptation:
1. Adapting to succeed
2. Adapting to enjoy

The first one, most people can adapt to. But not everyone can adapt to enjoy a faster pace if they do not. This is why when I play Battlefield 3, I might do just as well in KDR and points as I would have in BF2, but I quit quickly because I'm tired of it - the pace was too fast to play all night long.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-18 at 07:34 AM.
Old 2012-05-18, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

TTK on infantry and vehicles is super low. I was pretty surprised at how fast it is. I don't know that I like it, but I guess we'll see how it goes. Either way, it's pretty disconcerting seeing people at medium-long ranges get taken down in a handful of bullets.
Old 2012-05-18, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
RSphil
Contributor
Major

the ttk was the only thing that got me. looked very fast. as for everything else i cant see a problem. if anything there need to be more team work. if you have to take multiple objectives not it will be good for a number of teams to get ready then all attack at once to him multiple targets at once. this will be very hard to defend against and require good team work and good communication.
Old 2012-05-18, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
the TTK looks too fast.

in a game where you can do so many different things and have to face so many enemys at once it sucks to be killed in a second.

it´s ok that the movement or means of deployment were sped up, but the TTK needs to be reduced a little.
the vehicles feel useless if everything can shoot them in seconds. especially those that are supposed to be armored and powerful. a lightning should not be able to kill a main battle tank in seconds!
a longer TTK better displays the differences of the vehicles and soldiers! if everything dies almost from the first shot of any weapon, what´s the point of all the diversity?

in ps1 it really mattered to use the right weapon against specific targets. and only the best specialized weapon would kill its designated target that fast. wrong weapon/target combinations resulted in a harsh and long firefight, sometimes with almost no damage being dealt at all. that was a lot of fun.
I couldn't agree more, the TTK needs to go down, right now kills look very easy. I always liked that about PS1: The best player wins, and not the player who was lucky enough to spot his victim first.

And also if you wanna play a game all night long, you need to be able to relax a little and coordinate with your squadmates.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2012-05-18 at 08:53 AM.
Old 2012-05-18, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Bromaxulon
Private

While I can empathize with your concerns, I actually like to faster ttk. You won't be able to just run around like a lunatic in your mbt or with your boots. You will need to take your time, move slower and use squad and company level tactics to achieve your goals.

It's all in the preparation, much like our real militaries you will have to prepare your squads and tactics before hand, so when things start going down you can react fluidly. Less micro command and more macro.

Tanks will have to use hull down more often and shoot move tactics to survive.

Most importantly the game will play like a shooter and not like an mmo( like original ps). I can't count the number of time i snuck up on a HA user in ps empty a clip into the back of their head just to have them turn around and kill me because they basically had " bigger boots" then me.

IMHO faster ttk puts more emphasis on preparation of tactics at that level, giving coordinated outfits an edge. Strategic level planning is basically unchanged.

Just be glad the ttk isn't like arma or other sims, regardless can't really know till it's out or you get into beta. Looking forward to see how that pans out.
Old 2012-05-18, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I think it is to fast, especially the flimsiness of the armor.

Part of the joy and attraction to PS1 was you could survive an encounter and get away. Unlike other FPS games where one or the other was sure to die.

This is how rivalries are made, how the tug-of-war is created. Endlessly cycling in a death/spawn cycle does not make for those epic moments PS1 provided.

Line up two opposing sides of tanks, in a line. If more half of the tanks on ether side are gone in the first volley, its too fast.

As it stands now, there seems to be no outcome for any encounter other than one dieing quickly. No repose, no chance of escape for ether combatant, no shootout situations, no area denial, no epic moment other than increased kill count.

I want more than kill count and Death/spawn cycling.

On another subject, I find the removal on reliance on other troubling. Nothing should auto-anything in this game. Nothing. Every action should require an action by a player. If you get taken to half health, you should stay at half health until someone heals you are you visit a med term. This shield system needs to go, or become an elective implant.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-05-18 at 09:10 AM.
Old 2012-05-18, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Graywolves
General

Here's a theory.

The TTK might be as fast as it is right now because they don't have the numbers to test it on the actual scale. So when we get into beta and have the 600+ player battles at a base we should see a necessity to have the TTK increased if it is not scaled up already.

Being able to survive encounters is probably more important than getting quick kills for the overall gameplay experience and player retention. (could be argued all day)
Old 2012-05-18, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Bromaxulon
Private

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Here's a theory.

The TTK might be as fast as it is right now because they don't have the numbers to test it on the actual scale. So when we get into beta and have the 600+ player battles at a base we should see a necessity to have the TTK increased if it is not scaled up already.

Being able to survive encounters is probably more important than getting quick kills for the overall gameplay experience and player retention. (could be argued all day)
You might be onto something with your theory, but I would imagine that the ttk would be the same at all stages. Only Benefit of reduced ttk due to population is to increase the fun factor and since they are play testing it would stand to reason that these are the anticipated final values damage values.

As to your engagement survival statement, I believe that a change in tactics can achieve similar ends as an increase in ttk. We will just have to play differently, and be more cautious.
Old 2012-05-18, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Shogun
Contributor
General

i really hope the ttk is just an alpha thing to compensate for low pops.

it really has to be longer to fully enjoy all the weapon features of planetside 2.
this is my only concern right now, that could be a total gamebreaker and spoil the planetside experience.

beta will show if it´s really an issue, and i hope our feedback will change the ttk to something closer to the original.

speeding up the game is ok, but the ttk is the wrong spot for this. the removal of death penalties, the sanctuarys, and the addition of spawn on squad are all speed increasing features. i think this is enough.

i don´t want medics to ONLY be useful as revivers because there are only full health soldiers or dead soldiers, and nothing in between.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-18, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Allot has changed in the game, wait till beta before you judge. With a larger battle front and more players, "speeding it up" may bee needed. We wont be able to tell untill beta.
Old 2012-05-18, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Also squad spawning isn't going to be like battlefield which I was worried about as well. You can only spawn on you squad leader, and only if he has certed into that ability, which I don't think will be bad.
Old 2012-05-18, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Also squad spawning isn't going to be like battlefield which I was worried about as well. You can only spawn on you squad leader, and only if he has certed into that ability, which I don't think will be bad.
Squad leader only spawning should be standard really. BUT, that aside, unfortunately I heard rumors that the SL might also be able to spec into allowing all squad members to spawn on all squad members. If that turns out true, it's very very bad and increases game pace too much.
Old 2012-05-18, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Shogun
Contributor
General

i would assume the squad leader spec would enable the squadleader to set the spawnpoint on any any team member like giving the spawnbeacon away. so he can steer a little where his squad will spawn. i don´t think it will unlock every single squadmember as a spawnpoint.

like sl is standard spawnpoint until someone in the squad screams that he is in a good position. then the sl can switch the spawnpoint away from himself to this squadmember. a simple "unlock all members as spawnpoints" would suck

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-05-18 at 10:41 AM.
Old 2012-05-18, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

The magrider died way too fast. It took two hits from a vannie to get it (one rear, one front) and the vannie itself was critically damaged (flames) by about 6 seconds worth of fire from the AA gun ontop of the magrider to the frontal armor.

I think a rear hit should do a very large amount of damage as it encourages a more layered battle, with tanks actually forming lines which prevents it all becoming a clusterfuck. I just can't see the tank combat being rewarding if it takes 3 front hits to take you out as it does in battlefield. It becomes less about managing damage and more upon who was unlucky enough to get 2-3 tanks shooting them at the same time.

I definitely think the MBT's should be able to take serious punishment to the front, it simply makes tactics more rewarding. The Lightning also seemed to cripple the magrider, it should have killed it if it had aimed a few shots a little better.

Last edited by 2coolforu; 2012-05-18 at 10:56 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion