Changes needed game command system and more. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I would like to buy a round of Hugs for everyone!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-06, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Changes needed game command system and more.

1. Require certain battle ranks to cert the command functions,higher the cert cost = higher the required batte rank = more powerful the command ability.

2. Purchase of a command ability with cent points should also come with a piece of armor ornament/ helmet ornament like roman legion commanders wore and an command rank insignia that is easily identifiable so other soldiers can find him on the battlefield and request his abilities in support of there battles.

3. The last purchase and most expensive cert purchases of the most powerful command rank should be global chats and the coming orbital strike. There should not be a cool down for global chat as only high battle ranks should even be allowed to have it and it should be 1000xp, and the orbital strike should cost even more and have a cool down timer. The armor ornaments for these should end with an empire cape that is worn over the armor again like roman legion did. This cape could be custamizable with camo purchased from then SC store to match the armor camo.

4. The orbital strike should be a nuke from space one shot killing everything it hits. You should need to be running a squad to use it, just like the current command functions don't work when you are not leading a squad.

5. We need advanced self propelled artillery, it should require a forward observer using a laser target designator to mark the target to be pounded and then the artillery should be able to hit it with extream accuracy/ from extremes range and one shot legality. Very good splash damage to!

6. Proper interceptor class of fighters and attack gunships. Intercepted should be fast and maneuverable only able to hover to land and take off vertically. Able to kill other fighters in air to air combat with lock on missiles and drop laser guided bombs on ground targets. Attack aircraft should work like an apache gunship, look like the current reaver but from alpha and be 2 person. The pilot should only be able to fire spam rockets while the gunner can fire the 360 degree nose gun with explosive rounds and use a laser guided high damage precision hellfire type missile. It should be a stand off weapon with 1km or more range and the ability to hover perfectly but be slower and far less maneuverable then the attack fighter. But with high armor.

7. Driver/gunner crewed option MBTs. NC/TR should be 3 person, VS 2 person. NC/TR should be dedicated driver NO gun, 1st gunner operates main gun and a coax machine gun type weapon mounted next to the main cannon, secondary gunner operates the top current chooses turret gun. Tank should have access to more powerful weapons for main gun and coax and with the ability to have more weapons and fire more at the same time it should balance it against one man MBTs. VS should have current crew set up but with just a better main gun.
Old 2013-05-07, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Re: Changes needed game command system and more.

I agree with the need for an overhaul of the command system; but I would take things one stage further and create a "commander" class, whose special abilities are command related (squad beacon, command chat, artillery strike, orbital strike (I'm sure that there are more ideas out there for command abilities). These would be certable of course.

They would be armed with a carbine/SMG/Shotgun/AR and have access to grenades and C4, but that's it, their value is as a leader.

Not sure I'm keen on Orbital Strike being a nuke, sounds way OP, and there are already plenty of ways to die fast.
Old 2013-05-07, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

It would only be a small tactical nuke able to only cover one cap area and like I said it would be very hard to get and even if you do get it you would need to be in a squad to use it and have a massive cool down timer making it further more unlikely to spam.

Check this out, if it was a small tactical nuke you could make it an out of bounds area that would kill anyone that went in after the strike for a short time. So then if you use it you better really need it because if you nuke a base it would be uncappable for a short time pissing every one off if it was not needed.

Then you could add some meta to the game to and only let soldiers in the area of effect that say have max suits on and vehicles with NBC protection applied to them to try and capp in the contaminated zone. More items to make with more art for the players and more money for SOE.

Or if you don't want to give them small tactical nukes you can give them the rods from god kinetic strike the US airforce is working on. It was in the new GI JOE movie and leveled London No fall out but still just as powerful as killing a whole map cap area at once.

As a command only weapon that can only be used rarely, OP does not apply.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbpZ22JIzzI

Last edited by Livefire; 2013-05-07 at 03:15 AM.
Old 2013-05-07, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

reply repeat by accident

Last edited by Livefire; 2013-05-07 at 03:16 AM.
Old 2013-05-07, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Canaris
Contributor
General

you know there is roughly the same amount of people who play PS2 that dislike the idea of an OS in game as there are in favour. It's a tough call.
Check out the roadmap on the official forums.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-05-07, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
you know there is roughly the same amount of people who play PS2 that dislike the idea of an OS in game as there are in favour. It's a tough call.
Check out the roadmap on the official forums.
I would guess those are the half that did not play PS1 and simple do not understand it and how it is used and fits very nicely in this type of large scale MMOFPS.
Old 2013-05-07, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
General

I agree command needs to be revamped. I also think from comments he's made he also thinks that.

In my view there are a few aspects to this all of which are important and requires a lot of thought before putting into practise.

Qualification: I feel that simply having cert'ed into a command tree and be a squad leader isn't enough. I like the old PS1's idea of separate CEP from normal XP as a method. And in response to the OP 1000 certs isn't very many, if you're going to go down the cert route it's nowhere near enough.

Social: Higby has recognised that command is social as well as simply giving order. This is good.

OS: Simply decouple the OS from command. There's no reason for it to be there apart from that it was there in PS1 it also was a perverse incentive to get command rank. I mean people went for command rank because they wanted the big gun in the sky and not because they wanted to participate in the command structure.

Comms: I was sad to hear Higby say that communication will be only by in-game VIOP thinking text was out of date and 'bad' I suppose. I oppose this. Text chat is better for empire command (it's worse to outfit comms). Why is it better, because your brain can ignore it (text) more easily than voice and more people can participate in a chat in text than by voce before it becomes a 'house of Babel'. Remember everyone in command voip will also have outfit comms happening at the same time.

Intel: Commanders need intel, commanders also can't be everywhere, or rather a single commander can't be everywhere but commander(s) can, therefore commanders have to be able to pass intel to each other. Clearly to much can again become overwhelming, so TEXT and not VOICE is the way to go.

CR5's: Personally, I would resurrect CR5's. The PS1 CR5 system worked in general and even when it broke down it was at least entertaining and it was the best example of the 'show' being run by players and for players. The only question in my mind is 'does the increase in population mean that model is invalid'?

In summary: Bring back CR5's but remove the OS to a different 'tree', one that is mutually exclusive from command.
Old 2013-05-07, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I agree command needs to be revamped. I also think from comments he's made he also thinks that.

In my view there are a few aspects to this all of which are important and requires a lot of thought before putting into practise.

Qualification: I feel that simply having cert'ed into a command tree and be a squad leader isn't enough. I like the old PS1's idea of separate CEP from normal XP as a method. And in response to the OP 1000 certs isn't very many, if you're going to go down the cert route it's nowhere near enough.

Social: Higby has recognised that command is social as well as simply giving order. This is good.

OS: Simply decouple the OS from command. There's no reason for it to be there apart from that it was there in PS1 it also was a perverse incentive to get command rank. I mean people went for command rank because they wanted the big gun in the sky and not because they wanted to participate in the command structure.

Comms: I was sad to hear Higby say that communication will be only by in-game VIOP thinking text was out of date and 'bad' I suppose. I oppose this. Text chat is better for empire command (it's worse to outfit comms). Why is it better, because your brain can ignore it (text) more easily than voice and more people can participate in a chat in text than by voce before it becomes a 'house of Babel'. Remember everyone in command voip will also have outfit comms happening at the same time.

Intel: Commanders need intel, commanders also can't be everywhere, or rather a single commander can't be everywhere but commander(s) can, therefore commanders have to be able to pass intel to each other. Clearly to much can again become overwhelming, so TEXT and not VOICE is the way to go.

CR5's: Personally, I would resurrect CR5's. The PS1 CR5 system worked in general and even when it broke down it was at least entertaining and it was the best example of the 'show' being run by players and for players. The only question in my mind is 'does the increase in population mean that model is invalid'?

In summary: Bring back CR5's but remove the OS to a different 'tree', one that is mutually exclusive from command.
I agree people working for command to only get an OS is bad, but who else would you want to have it? I want as few people to have it as possible and that is also command. I would just make it extremely taxing to get. I am all for putting command xp back in the game and making it generate command cert points as separate from battle xp witch gives you battle certs. That will also separate though's who deserve command rank and that deserve the OS from though's who don't. I really do like the new feature in PS2 that disables your command abilities unless you are currently leading a squad. This further reduces OS and all command ability spamming

Last edited by Livefire; 2013-05-07 at 04:36 AM.
Old 2013-05-07, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
I would guess those are the half that did not play PS1 and simple do not understand it and how it is used and fits very nicely in this type of large scale MMOFPS.
i would guess those are the half that did play ps1 and understand how this would end up in a spamfest in a large scale MMOFPS.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-07, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i would guess those are the half that did play ps1 and understand how this would end up in a spamfest in a large scale MMOFPS.
What? did you play PS1? OS's were never really spammed. In fact when they were spammed the very few times I saw that they never hit anything because people always could get out of the way most of the time. 10 year PS1 vet here dude, OS's did there job great and need a much deserved return. Just like artillery does.
Old 2013-05-07, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
PredatorFour
Major

Command needs a MAJOR overhaul imo. You know there's something wrong when a guy can load up the game for the first time, go to the crown get 100 certs then begin to cert command and 'lead' his troops to victory.

Command is something i'm not bothered about yet purely cos of this and PS1 's system was better. However i like the idea of a commander class, that's cool but i would only give them pistols maybe and give them a laze pointer and other cool tools.

I think to buy into command the cert cost needs to be way higher also, like 5,000 certs or something and maybe have a br 50 cap of being able to use it.
Old 2013-05-07, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
What? did you play PS1? OS's were never really spammed. In fact when they were spammed the very few times I saw that they never hit anything because people always could get out of the way most of the time. 10 year PS1 vet here dude, OS's did there job great and need a much deserved return. Just like artillery does.
i played ps1 for about 7-8 years, and in the later years everybody had cr5. and most of them only grinded cr to get the OS. orbitals everywhere! there were times where i was killed by orbitals 4 times in a row because when i spawned at an ams, there was already an orbital charging there, bamm. spawn at next ams, same thing, rinse and repeat.
this was not funny at all.
and this was not the only incident with multiple orbitals involved! it was very common.

Old 2013-05-07, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

i played ps1 for about 7-8 years, and in the later years everybody had cr5. and most of them only grinded cr to get the OS. orbitals everywhere! there were times where i was killed by orbitals 4 times in a row because when i spawned at an ams, there was already an orbital charging there, bamm. spawn at next ams, same thing, rinse and repeat.
and this was not the only incident with multiple orbitals involved! it was very common.
It should be harder to get then it was in PS1. More costly and they need to make command rank again so you can only get it with command xp which then is used for command certs. Only can use it if you are currently leading a squad and make you share it with all your empire commanders currently online. That way the weapon its self will have its own cool down so it can not be spammed. Its a satellite after all and there should only probably be one per continent.

Last edited by Livefire; 2013-05-07 at 05:57 AM.
Old 2013-05-07, 06:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shogun
Contributor
General

[QUOTE=Livefire;919494]It should be harder to get then it was in PS1. More costly and they need to make command rank again so you can only get it with command xp which then is used for command certs. Only can use it if you are currently leading a squad and make you share it with all your empire commanders currently online. That way the weapon its self will have its own cool down so it can not be spammed. Its a satellite after all and there should only probably be one per continent.

if the weapon can only be used by one person on a cont at a time with a cooldown on the weapon itself, it would work, BUT we will never get this, because the BF players would expect to be able to use it whenever they want. the devs have already shown that this is the way they think (solotanks)
so i don´t see a chance to get OS that can´t be abused.

in older suggestion posts about the OS i posted a lot of ideas to make the orbital accessable but also restrictive. like the orbital cooldown timer being squadbased. and only the actual squadleader can fire it, causing the cooldown timer to start for everyone in the squad (to prevent promoting everybody to leader and cycle the timers).

Old 2013-05-07, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Never played PS1 but OS sounds like a very zero skill and frustrating way to die if it was spammed that often.

Calling a strike needs to cost a LOT in resources; I would suggest that it costs thousands of resources of all types, shared between the entire squad. That way, only someone who is leading a full or nearly full squad can call a strike, and calling the strike will deplete the resources of everyone in the squad, which could have consequences. There's got to be a negative to such a powerful weapon.

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-05-07 at 06:20 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion