Argentina - nationalisation of YPF - link with Falklands? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are we dead yet?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Old 2012-05-06, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: Argentina - nationalisation of YPF - link with Falklands?

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Athletes from Argentina are now by default a political tool, more than athletes. Plus at least one cooperated with the provocative advert.

Sanctions always hit the populace of a country, now it would only hit athletes.
Sanctions targeting the populace of a country are despicable, which is sort of my point. I don't know what the circumstances around that guy in the video participating are, but either way, it's just the Olympics. Seriously. It's just a bunch of people running around and sweating. Everyone knows Argentina is being retarded with respect to the Falklands and nothing will come of it, so hopefully it's ignored like it ought to be.
Old 2012-05-06, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Figment
Lieutenant General

I disagree. The Olympics are about being non-political. By allowing this you're telling the Chinese they can bring their politics to the game.

This goes against the very essence of the Olympian spirit. In the Classic Era, the Olympic Games were a time of non-politics, non-warfare so all focus would be on the sports, regardless of politics.

Argentina is trying to take the Olympics hostage by openly abusing them to make a political statement and with it breaks the Olympic convention.
Old 2012-05-07, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

The Ancient Greeks were cunts and the Olympics is just a bunch of stupid games. Unless Argentina makes an ad threatening war and has Olympians from their country taking part, then it's water off a duck's back.

As for the Chinese or, really, anyone and how they go about their business, the world basically doesn't care now, so why should we care during the Olympics? Yeah, China sucks. Well, so do a lot of places. You aren't going to change that by making their athletes lose their chance to compete.
Old 2012-05-07, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Figment
Lieutenant General

China is just an example.
Old 2012-05-07, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Kipper
Captain

As boring as I find most Olympic sports, I do kind of think that as many nations as possible should be invited to take part. Its not the people of certain countries that are objectionable, many times it's just the leaders. Sometimes elected, sometimes not.

I hope that sport appeals to moderate people, makes them look around the world and say "hey, we should do more to make our country like that!" and do what is in their power to make their lot better.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum