Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: pump shit underground
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-04-06, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
Also agree...PS:N Needs a CGI trailer this time.
What? Screw that - I want live action. I want a couple of those 501st Legion guys to dress up in TR, NC and VS costumes and make a live-action trailer. SOE can hire smokin' hot babes to serve as their Everquest models at Fan Faires... no reason they can't get some Planetside costumes.
Old 2011-04-06, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
What? Screw that - I want live action. I want a couple of those 501st Legion guys to dress up in TR, NC and VS costumes and make a live-action trailer. SOE can hire smokin' hot babes to serve as their Everquest models at Fan Faires... no reason they can't get some Planetside costumes.
I actually was going to make/pay for it to be made Imperial Guard costume(from the Warhammer 40,000), but screw that, I'm getting a TR Rexo suit.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-04-06, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
TRex
First Sergeant

For marketing I think they should start by putting simple short adds to come on at the beginning of you-tube videos :

IT'S COMING!!

then a timer counting down ...

no more details , not even a link to PS:N ..for a while just to get people talking and guessing as to what it is ..

Then start showing millisecond clips of footage ..and keep them anxious for more .

Think of this as internet version of what Firefly's grandfather used to call 'The Porch Pussy '
Old 2011-04-06, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
Galapogos
Corporal

Only minus the diseases.
Old 2011-04-06, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
KCTitan
Private

Originally Posted by otomotopia View Post
OS X Lion, an i7 2.77gHz, 8gigs of ram, 40gigs of SS HDD, and Two SLI'd GTX 460's (1GB GDDR5).
That's it? I'm all set then!
Old 2011-04-06, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
MrGreenJeans
Private

CRAP!!! Just missed it!!!
I've got a (OS X Cub, an i7 2.69gHz, 7gigs of ram, 39gigs of SS HDD, and Two SLI'd GTX 459's (99.9MB GDDR5))
Old 2011-04-06, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
otomotopia
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrGreenJeans View Post
CRAP!!! Just missed it!!!
I've got a (OS X Cub, an i7 2.69gHz, 7gigs of ram, 39gigs of SS HDD, and Two SLI'd GTX 459's (99.9MB GDDR5))
Good thing I just posted the Recommended requirements then. You should be able to play at 1439X899 on max with no lag just fine then.

/puts on glasses

Latency however...

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAH!
Old 2011-04-06, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
Straws
Corporal

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I've heard this misconception alot and its understandable. I've seen all the quotes so you don't need to start pulling those out, but lets deal with reality here. Planetside Next has only semi-officially been announced to even exist, and a release date certainly was never announced in any official capacity. Let me repeat that for emphasis, a release date was never officially announced. Trying to use an offhand quote from early Decemeber as a set in stone release date is flawed. Plus we got information after what he said in December that updated that out of date info.

Frankly at this stage, it's absolutely pointless to dwell on a quote from a quasi-interview from December. Planetside: Next is coming, it's coming this year, and we will be getting much more information as time goes on, starting with the Producer's Letter this week.
I can certainly conceed to those points, thank you for keeping it relative and kicking my soapbox from beneath me. Yeah, you're right, what was announce was not official, because frankly, if it's not a press release or on the offical PS:N website (seperate issue, not going there...yet). I do retain an issue about a very important and influencial member of SOE throwing dates at us in this manner, because frankly, I don't want to know the date until they know the date.

I wouldn't even be upset if it ends up being next year. Delays are usually a sign that they are upping the quality, just not a fan of having a carrot waved in my face. No one should be and I would encourage John to avoid such a mistake again.
Old 2011-04-06, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I've heard this misconception alot and its understandable. I've seen all the quotes so you don't need to start pulling those out, but lets deal with reality here. Planetside Next has only semi-officially been announced to even exist, and a release date certainly was never announced in any official capacity. Let me repeat that for emphasis, a release date was never officially announced. Trying to use an offhand quote from early Decemeber as a set in stone release date is flawed. Plus we got information after what he said in December that updated that out of date info.

Frankly at this stage, it's absolutely pointless to dwell on a quote from a quasi-interview from December. Planetside: Next is coming, it's coming this year, and we will be getting much more information as time goes on, starting with the Producer's Letter this week.

I did learn my lesson about hanging on a single word in an interview before any official release. But does that make the initial "announcement" all right? Does that give Devs free reign to say what every they want before the big PR push happens? I think people should just be more careful about letting that stuff slip.

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2011-04-06 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2011-04-07, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
LordReaver
First Sergeant

What was said was ambiguous at best. Trying to make something out of it is a waste of time.
Old 2011-04-07, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187 View Post
I did learn my lesson about hanging on a single word in an interview before any official release. But does that make the initial "announcement" all right? Does that give Devs free reign to say what every they want before the big PR push happens? I think people should just be more careful about letting that stuff slip.
Well this is wasn't really a case of devs having free reign to give any information they want. This stuff was coming from the CEO of the company. Now I know even Smed doesn't have free reign either, but I really liked that he gave us little nuggets of information when he could.

Basically, he has to walk this fine line between giving us dedicated and hardcore fans a few treats to let us know our patience and passion are appreciated, and waiting until something is set in stone before saying anything about it. As Smed said in one of his posts here, he's happy to give us those early nuggets as long as we understand that they arn't set in stone yet and are subject to change.

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, but I can totally see the other point of view of not wanting to know until its certain.

@Straws: I didn't intend to disrespect you or your opinion because your concerns are totally valid given what we know at this point.
Old 2011-04-07, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
morf
First Sergeant

There will always be people who don't understand that nothing is final until release. it's the same people that don't understand that hot coffee will burn you, that you shouldn't dry your hair in the shower and that you aren't supposed to take the entire bottle of aspirin at once. I think the best way to cater to these people is to put a disclaimer on every announcement. I know it's a huge pain in the ass but it's the only tried and true way of dealing with these types of individuals.
Old 2011-04-07, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
Shogun
Contributor
General

@firefly: yeah a big promo with the 501st legion would be great. i´m a member and worked for soe some years ago on the german games convention for starwars galaxies.

but i´m afraid the legion cannot help here, because i don´t think anyone in the club has a planetside costume. the starwars costumes are our own property, that´s why we can show them off on some cool occasions, but we are not sponsored by anyone and have to buy or build our costumes by ourselfs. but a NC br40cr5 splattermax costume would rock! maybe when psnext is successful i can draw some propbuilders over to planetside and show them the cool outfits that would make an outstanding costume ;-)

but you guys are right! SOE really has to do the advertising right this time! most players i know found planetside by pure accident or were drawn in by friends. this time everybody has to know what planetside is! when i tell someone about planetside, it is the same effect every time... everybody wants to play a game with soooo many great features. the problem was the age of the game, the graphics and the high subscription price for an old game with no dev left.

so if the new planetside is advertised right, and if it has most of the features of the original planetside, i am sure that it can become the new number one mmo for soe and maybe even scratch on the wow throne. just let everybody know this time!
Old 2011-04-07, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
TacosWLove
Master Sergeant

Ok so there is one more day in this week and..

Originally Posted by Rebecca Black
Its Friday, Friday. Gotta get down on Friday. yesterday was Thrusday and tomorrow is Saturday. Fun fun fun!
So tomorrow is our Producer day! Hurry, Friday!
Old 2011-04-07, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
movermanwa
Private

It is great after all these years to be hearing there is a next gen in Pside. I have a suggested name since Smed said they learn their mistake with naming sequels from Everquest and Everquest II.

Planetside: The Next Evolution
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion