Proportionate XP - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This quote will self destru-BAM!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sco
Private

Proportionate XP

Something that annoys me about PS1 is the lack of proportionate XP. Currently, we only receive XP based on the final blow and "kill-shot". This often results in one person doing 99% of the damage to have someone else coming in at the last second, firing one round and getting the kill.

This too results in people holding off firing to the last 10% health - shooting prior this could be deemed pointless unless you get the final kill. This is why having the heath bar of an opponent is so fundamental within PS1. It also makes sniping annoying as often people will wait for one sniper to hit for them to take the kill. Most people will have at some point been on both sides of this and it may or may not balance out.

I hope that XP will be distributed on a proportionate basis. Yes, the final blow should be worth something, but other players should also be rewarded for doing damage. This could be with a proportionate assist XP. For example, if the person did 45% of damage to the vehicle, they gets a 45% assist multiplier on the kill. This could be total kill value multiplied by 75% for non killing blow multiplied by 45% for proportionate damage. Will be interesting to see if any consideration will be given to this.

Sco
Old 2011-07-10, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Proportionate XP

I don't want to see this kind of system in place to be honest. When it comes down to it the person who got the last shot just got the kill regardless. You can still get plently of XP even if some KSes you in PS. I bet you could get more exp with your system by being in a tank and just shotting a butt load of random enemy targets and farming off the XP for the kill you did not get. No thanks.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

There's nothing more annoying than having an epic battle with a Vanguard/Magrider/Prowler only to have a mossie fly in when it's on its last millimeter of health and steal the kill.

The only problem is it's probably quite a big server load to keep track of every HP damage and who dealt it. Perhaps there should be a system similar to Bad Company 2 where you get two types of assist, one for doing slight damage (small amount of xp) and one for doing the majority of the damage (nearly all the xp of an actual kill) along with other forms of assists e.g. healing someone and having them go on to kill someone gives you points, giving people health and ammo and repairing tanks gives xp, these are all types of experience I would like to see in Planetside 2
Old 2011-07-10, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

At the very least you should get something for doing ~50% of damage to an enemy who dies shortly after.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
xcel
Corporal

I am in favor of assist xp.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
CutterJohn
Colonel

A straightforward damage = xp is my preference. No complex rules. You earn for how much you do, whether you kill them or just drive them off to repair.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

My opionions:
For xp: you to x% of damage, you get x% of XP, with no bonus for doing the kill.

for kills: if you do the last hit and kill the enemy, you get a kill. If you did at least x% of the damage but didnt do the final hit, you get an assist. But if you did more than 80% of the damage damage to a target, but didnt score the final hit, YOU get the kill and those who did less damage get the assist.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Aractain
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
A straightforward damage = xp is my preference. No complex rules. You earn for how much you do, whether you kill them or just drive them off to repair.
That there. What he said. Repeat All On.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Wouldn't that mean a great flood of XP from a single bombing run, or spamming tank shells into the front line? Seems really biased toward area effect weapons.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sco
Private

I think any form of proportionate system will be better - it is important that the developers are aware of the current annoyance and thinking about modernising it. Whether it be a straight % xp or assist xp - either one will be a step forward compared to the current "last hit takes all approach"
Old 2011-07-10, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Aractain
Major

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Wouldn't that mean a great flood of XP from a single bombing run, or spamming tank shells into the front line? Seems really biased toward area effect weapons.

AOE weapons would get like 20% XP (blaanced per weapon ofcourse), easy.

How hard will BR be to get up now anyway since it just unlocks a new 'tech level'?
Old 2011-07-10, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

I hate ps1's system because it encouraged waiting for the last hit. Vehicles die exponentially faster when they hit 30% hp.
Old 2011-07-10, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
bkx
Private

IMO a kill should be a kill, worth the same amount of points no matter if you do 1% or 100% of the damage.

I do like BF's system of kill assists and critical kill assists, though. In BF, assists are worth almost as many points as the kill, and getting a fat chunk of points from an assist does a lot to make killstealers more bearable.
Old 2011-07-10, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bags
Lieutenant General

Q: If the xp system is largely the same, will there be an assist system of some sort? Nothing was more frustrating than getting a tank to 10% only to have a reaver swoop in and KS. That or some sort of xp system based on damage would be cool.
Any plans for a "priority" based kill spam Ala TF2? It'd be really nice for your kills, your squadmates' kills, and their deaths to hang around in the kill spam longer than some random dude's death to a spitfire.
[Experience, killspam]
Matt: yes and yes
Old 2011-07-10, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sco
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Q: If the xp system is largely the same, will there be an assist system of some sort? Nothing was more frustrating than getting a tank to 10% only to have a reaver swoop in and KS. That or some sort of xp system based on damage would be cool.
Any plans for a "priority" based kill spam Ala TF2? It'd be really nice for your kills, your squadmates' kills, and their deaths to hang around in the kill spam longer than some random dude's death to a spitfire.
[Experience, killspam]
Matt: yes and yes
Looking forward to some more elaboration on this one - don't be shy Matt!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion