Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2006-12-15, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

A PC gamer's journey to the dark side.

I have done my research and decided the Wii is nothing special. It lacks any sort of online play, the graphics suck and the Wii-mote isn't implemented as I had hoped in most games (ie, the in game movements do not entirely track your own, rather moving the controller left causes one preset action, up another, ect.)

The 360 has graphics and processing equal to that of, if not better then, the PS3, superior online play, and a far more attractive game library.

I am now the proud owner of a new shiny Xbox 360.

My gamer tag is JaggedOne. Add me.

Last edited by Jaged; 2006-12-16 at 05:17 AM.
Old 2006-12-15, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A PC gamer's journey to the dark side.

Originally Posted by Jaged View Post
I have done my research and decided the Wii is nothing special. It lacks any sort of online play, the graphics suck and the Wii-mote isn't implemented as I had hoped in most games (ie, the in game movements do not entirely track your own, rather moving the controller left causes one preset action, up another, ect.)

The 360 had graphics and processing equal to that of, if not better then, the PS3, superior online play, and a far more attractive game library.

I am now the proud owner of a new shiny Xbox 360.

My gamer tag is JaggedOne. Add me.
**HIGH FUCKING FIVE**

Adding you in a bit mate, what do games do you have?
Old 2006-12-15, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I currently have Gears of War and Chromehounds. However I am going to be returning Chromehounds to get GRAW soon and I hope to get any or all of the following for christmas: RB6: Las Vegas, Dead Rising and CoD3.

Are there any other games I should consider asking for or buying that I haven't considered?
Old 2006-12-15, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Hmm, Oblivion is really nice, although its pc as well but I don't have the luxury of a nice pc so oblivion on 360 is my ticket. Other than that you have the essentials I think
Old 2006-12-16, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

How about non essentials? What are the good games that I don't know about?
Old 2006-12-16, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
xmodum
Colonel

Adding you in a Bit m8

Welcome to The darkside, we have beer.

And potato chips.
Old 2006-12-16, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

mmmm beer

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-12-16, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

before you say that the power of the 360 is better than the PS3, please look at motorstorm.
Old 2006-12-16, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Mag-Mower View Post
before you say that the power of the 360 is better than the PS3, please look at motorstorm.
I have played it and I do not see your point.

Btw here are my sources:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/features/616...&click=topslot
Old 2006-12-16, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

those scrrenshot comparisons are not fair. A fair comparison would be Resistence to PDZ. That is becuase they were bot laucnh titles. ofcourse games will look better o the 360 now, thats becuase devs have had a longer ammount of time working with the 360 than ps3.

Those benchmarks confuse me. I have seen them before, and I have seen other benchmarks that are the exact opposite. Plus, those are from E305, which means that the arent that accurate. I also heard that that information on IGN was provided by MS. Hardly obejective.

vs.

You must also remember that the carbon game is optimized for the 360. Ontop of that, it has taken over a year to get that carbon shot, on a complete 360 dev kit. Motorstorm hasnt had that much time on a full ps3 dev kit, only about 6 months. FRom what I hear, the Motorstorm demos on the kiosks is an inferoir version of the demo on the sony store (which is supposed to be really fun).

I own a 360. I have some fun with it too (add MagMower to your friends, ill accept when I renew live, and decide to get a wireless adapter), but I do feel that the ps3 is more powerful. Atleast you didnt get the wii
Old 2006-12-16, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Ill admit that after PS3 developers have more time to get their shit together the PS3 may pull ahead graphicly. However I do not belive it will pull that far ahead if it does at all. My point was that the Xbox 360 and the PS3 have very similar graphical quality. Paying an extra 200 for the small graphical bonus the PS3 may have in the future seemed seemed stupid, even if all else was equal, which it is not.

The 360 is the clear victor in online play. Games on the PS3 are isolated islands of connectivity. Like I said before the Wii doesn't even have any online play at the moment. The game library on the 360 is clearly the best of all three systems. While it is true that the system has had an extra year to launch more titles then either the PS3 or the Wii, the Xbox still has an upper hand. If you look at the last generation the Xbox had the best games compaired to either the PS2 or the GC. I believe that even after the PS3 and the Wii have time to release more games, the 360 library will still be the best.

One other big reason not to invest in a PS3 is blueray. I do not want to buy into one of Sony's propitiatory formats that has a much better then even chance of falling to HD DVD in the near future. Sony's propitiatory formats have a long history of not succeeding (UMD movies anyone?). And as far as I can tell, the extra storage space that blueray offers game developers dosen't make a noticeable difference on the game play. Good old fashioned DVDs seem to work just fine.

Last edited by Jaged; 2006-12-16 at 08:31 PM.
Old 2006-12-16, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm not gonna debate on this again, I'm gonna make my statement, and thats it, I'm promising myself. The 360's GPU is SIX TIMES better than the PS3's. The PS3 has more processing power, not enough to make it make up for the GPU in my opinion, however.

http://dpad.gotfrag.com/xbox360/story/35372/?spage=1
Old 2006-12-18, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Jaged View Post
So, you're saying you didn't actually do your research then? Check out the free motion of the bat in Wii sports for a prime example of why the bolded portion of what you just said is, ya know, bullshit

That slight correction aside, yeah, if you're looking for graphics you'll be happy with either the 360 or the PS3. Considering the 360 has some pretty good games out in it's library already and costs a lot less, congratulations on making the smart decision

Personally I'm waiting on the PS3/360. Until I have an HD set I'm not really interested at all in the graphical theory of then next gen platforms. That along with the Wii being the cheapest option and none of the new systems having anything worth buying a new system for, at least to me, and I suspect I'll be picking up a Wii around the time Metroid Prime 3 comes out and biding my time on both the PS3 and 360 until either prices drop or I come into a large chuck of disposable income.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2006-12-18, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Happy lil' Elf View Post
So, you're saying you didn't actually do your research then? Check out the free motion of the bat in Wii sports for a prime example of why the bolded portion of what you just said is, ya know, bullshit
Ok you are right there. However I was ignoring sports and racing titles when I considered the games for the Wii as I hate both types of titles. Technically you are right but I don't wanna play Wii sports anyway.
Old 2006-12-19, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kikinchikin

What is Chromehounds?

And I'm joining the 360 club come Christmas. Getting Gears of War, Madden, and Rainbow Six Vegas.

BTW, I know I already made a thread for the best 360 games, but specifically what are some good racing ones? I know Gotham is good and Need for Speed but that's about it.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge