News: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer - Page 22 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So easy a caveman can do it!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-26, 02:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #316
Harasus
Sergeant

Re: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
Can we give ten seconds to a single TR squad acting disciplined and holding its own?
This, please. I have (almost) no problem with getting my faction´s ass handed to me from some rambo terrorist if atleast we die in style*. Taking cover, throwing grenades, advancing a few at a time while the others give covering fire, a GAL dropping off troops on the ground in a calm and organised manner... That stuff could be done in 20 seconds, and you would still have the NC rambo and the VS sneakies doing their good stuff.

*From playing a Napoleonic FPS where you have organised battles, standing in lines and firing muskets at eachothers from far away, and only rarely hitting something, and most of the time getting shot before you even get to stab your bayonet in someone, I know all about dying in style.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #317
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by MGP View Post
My thoughts exactly. Is there a single person within SOE who favors TR?
There are, they just aren't part of the vocal minority, it seems.

I'm kinda curious who directed it. It feels like they just handed some of the models and a 3 sentence summary of the game to someone wit zero knowledge of what planetside is and said "Make a 4 min trailer".

I actually feel kinda bad. Like I don't like being so harsh on it. The dev team (and smed) have been very cool to the community and I think they're making a neat game, but this was just such a swing and a miss, imo...
Old 2012-07-26, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #318
SenorVandal
Private

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
That was what I was hoping for. The view in the trailer swoops inside the TR Gal and I thought yeah! Now I get to see THE PROFESSIONALS do something awesome for ten seconds...! It's what the teaser promised me!

And instead they all got shot to shit and did nothing.

The people who directed this, whether at SOE or the company that did the damn work, swung and... got to first base. It might have been a home run.
Heh to say the teaser was misleading would be an understatement. While watching the actual trailer i kept waiting for "the professionals" and "the visionaries" to show up too, instead I was treated to a one man wrecking crew that would put Master Chief to shame. This is a trailer for an MMO right?
Old 2012-07-26, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #319
Fara
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
There are, they just aren't part of the vocal minority, it seems.

I'm kinda curious who directed it. It feels like they just handed some of the models and a 3 sentence summary of the game to someone wit zero knowledge of what planetside is and said "Make a 4 min trailer".

I actually feel kinda bad. Like I don't like being so harsh on it. The dev team (and smed) have been very cool to the community and I think they're making a neat game, but this was just such a swing and a miss, imo...
+1 Anyhow, to the uninformed (aka non-vets) this would probably peak someones interest in Planetside 2 which is good.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #320
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Ok you guys are taking it way too far with the talk of marketing and generating sales and what not.

This CGI Trailer shit on the TR. That is all. Sucks for them but heyyy fuck the MAN!!! Haha in all seriousness I do think they could have given them a little more credit... They are suppose to be the "Professionals".

Last edited by Bittermen; 2012-07-26 at 02:12 AM.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #321
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Won't grab attention...but will generate sales? Do you understand how advertising works at all?

wtf?

Kids, its a fun trailer meant to look cool. That's all. Lets grow up and realize this faster. Its not even the game's launch trailer for crying out loud.
He was talking about other trailers targeted at the fanbase. Advertising for a free game isn't the same as advertising for a sold game. You can rake in a lot of cash by misrepresenting your product, and it pisses a lot of people off, they get disappointed and leave. It's unethical and costs you your credibility, but it makes profits.

However, for PS2's business model to work relies on people who play the game and find it fun enough to spend money on aesthetics and boosts. How much money was spent to produce this trailer and how well will it advertise for SoE? I'm going to venture it's a net loss, because it's not targeting the type of people who will enjoy the game enough to spend money on it.

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-07-26 at 02:12 AM.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #322
disky
Sergeant

Did anyone notice that the Archangels were wearing the original NC rexo helmets? Awesome. I hope they allow for that armor mod, it looked great.

And maybe they could have given the TR a little more screen time, but I still thought it was a great trailer.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #323
Fara
Corporal

He was talking about other trailers targeted at the fanbase. Advertising for a free game isn't the same as advertising for a sold game. You can rake in a lot of cash by misrepresenting your product, and it pisses a lot of people off, they get disappointed and leave. It's unethical and costs you your credibility, but it makes profits.

However, for PS2's business model to work relies on people who play the game and find it fun enough to spend money on aesthetics and boosts. How much money was spent to produce this trailer and how well will it advertise for SoE? I'm going to venture it's a net loss, because it's not targeting the type of people who will enjoy the game enough to spend money on it.
Even so, by simply playing (and not paying) the game you are the 'content' for the people who do pay. Which is exactly SoEs business model.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #324
Raymac
Brigadier General

This has gotten a bit silly. It seems the vast majority of people that didn't like the trailer are TR. And the most common complaint was that the TR were getting their ass kicked. That is a pretty ridiculous reason to not like a trailer.

Take a step back for a minute. Imagine if somebody was hating on the SWTOR- Deceived trailer because the jedi got beat. Doesn't that sound silly?

Now I can understand people not liking the badass rambo nature, but I've read your war stories. If you play Planetside long enough, you have a story or 2 about having a badass run. Plus from a story telling perspective, it gets us emotionally invested in the protagonist, so when you think he was victorious and he suddenly gets stabbed out of nowhere, the audience gets shocked.

It may not have been the trailer that YOU would have made, but at least recognize armchair quarterbacking when you are doing it.

Old 2012-07-26, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #325
sunzen
Private

Just another trailer really. What counts is game play not explosions and gunfight in a film sequence.

It feels like the people behind Diablo 3 did it...

Last edited by sunzen; 2012-07-26 at 02:27 AM.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #326
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by disky View Post
Did anyone notice that the Archangels were wearing the original NC rexo helmets? Awesome. I hope they allow for that armor mod, it looked great.
Yes I did... but it didn't register until just now, when you pointed it out.

And it *is* awesome. Anything that presses the nostalgia button makes me smile in appreciation.

The TR still got shortchanged to the point of outrageousness, though. Just ten seconds of TR stubbornness and discipline, with radio chatter saying 'Contact right!' and stuff like that, and I wouldn;t have cared if a Vanu came and laid a boomer under their feet and blew them all to kingdom come.

That's all I wanted. Ten seconds of THE PROFESSIONALS. Instead we were the red shirts from Star Trek.

I am really disappointed.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-07-26 at 02:27 AM.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #327
therandomone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Fara View Post
+1 Anyhow, to the uninformed (aka non-vets) this would probably peak someones interest in Planetside 2 which is good.
See even as a non-vet and somebody who has pledged his allegiance (and body) to the Vanu, I was kinda disappointed. It looked pretty, and flashy and all but it was insulting to the TR and to those who have followed/tried to follow and understand the game. For most of the video I was just thinking, NC LA is cool...now how about the others?
Old 2012-07-26, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #328
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by therandomone View Post
See even as a non-vet and somebody who has pledged his allegiance (and body) to the Vanu, I was kinda disappointed. It looked pretty, and flashy and all but it was insulting to the TR and to those who have followed/tried to follow and understand the game. For most of the video I was just thinking, NC LA is cool...now how about the others?
I was actually less troubled by the empire representation and had more issue with the lack of class/equipment representation. All you see in action is the LA. All the other classes you only see for a split second and never long enough to see what they actually do or that they even EXIST in the game. It's quite possible to use one empire to show what the game is and what you can do in the game, but they didn't even go that route.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #329
therandomone
Sergeant

I was actually less troubled by the empire representation and had more issue with the lack of class/equipment representation. All you see in action is the LA. All the other classes you only see for a split second and never long enough to see what they actually do or that they even EXIST in the game. It's quite possible to use one empire to show what the game is and what you can do in the game, but they didn't even go that route.
Sorry I guess I didnt clarify enough. What I meant by the others was factions and classes. I mean we saw an LA, Melee Infiltrator and....grunts? As far as I know that isnt really a class, I agree I would have liked to see more.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #330
JoeDragon
Sergeant

I posted this on Reddit however the truth needs to get out! This is the reality behind the PS2 trailer...

It should be noted that NC Nanite Reconstruction technology is flawed. In order to save a few bucks, the construction of their spawn tubes was outsourced to the lowest bidder. The result, unfortunately, is that each time an NC unit respawns, it does so with one less brain cell, or in some cases, an additional chromosome.

I'm afraid that the entire trailer was simply a hallucination of our protagonist NC "Hero". He was, in actuality, attacking an IHOP. The Waitresses had to put him down, hard. But not before he managed to kill over 30 innocent bystanders including a Bus full of ederly men and women and their driver, just out for the early bird special. (This can be proven due to the fact that Galaxy armor is much more resistant to small arms fire, while simple buses do not have such armor.)

Furthermore, the "Beacon" he placed was simply a large stack of pancakes which he triumphantly placed on the kitchen floor, before he was taken down. The drop pods he see's descending we're actually various spoons and ladles dropping to the ground during the ruckus. The real heroes in this story we're the Waitresses. Who knows how many countless more would have perished if not for their quick thinking and valiant use of a butter knife.

The Vanu troops seen at the end we're real though. They too love that Early Bird Special.

Last edited by JoeDragon; 2012-07-26 at 02:40 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion