A Better Command Structure - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: better than sex... well, maybe...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2004-02-25, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

A Better Command Structure

Ok, this idea is a little complicated and would need to be fleshed out more to make it feasible in the game but I think it would be a step in the right direction and add some very cool elements to game play. All I ask is that you hear me out before you flame cuz I know my next paragraph will make blood boil.

The first thing I�d change is that I�d remove the EMP Blast and Orbital Strike capability of high CR ranked players. These do not help leading troops, or issuing commands, or help with organizing an attack force in any way. These are simply tools used to �Rambo� by single-handedly clearing mine fields or taking out AMS units. More often then not the OS is used to rack up the kill count of the CR4 or CR5 using it. How many times have you seen an OS hit the CY of a completely overrun base after the defenders have long fled the battle? This is done simply to waste a bunch of people hanging out waiting for the capture BEP or CEP. Why not use this earlier to try and protect the base? Because you won�t kill as many and have a pretty screen shot to brag about. Fun? Yes, to be sure. But, what does that have to do with command ability or leadership capabilities?

So I�m thinking what if you just ditch the Rambo abilities and add abilities that actually help with leadership, organization, and fun for everyone and not just the elite few CR5�s?

Here is what I�ve come up with:

FOR THE COMMANDERS:

Have a special War Room Bunker that is built deep underground below the bases (perhaps capitol base when those come out?) that only CR4�s or CR5�s can enter. To enter you simply deconstruct at that bases spawn tubes and then you will have an option to respawn at the normal local spawn points or the War Room Bunker. Once in the bunker you will see a large room with maps, war tables, and special terminals located throughout the room. In here modified sanctuary rules apply in that weapons can�t be used and the enemy can not enter this area. If the base above the war room is hacked the commanders in the bunker are instantly dumped into the spawn tubes of that base or the next closest spawn tubes if those are destroyed. If the base is resecured the commanders can again enter the war room bunker. If the enemy takes control of the base then they now own the bunker and can use it for themselves.

This gives the commanders a safe place to issue commands and lead troops without being pestered by enemy forces. They would share BEP and CEP if in a squad as normal.

The Command Terminals:

Assault Terminal (offense): Allows the placement of Continental Way Points a Commander can use this terminal to set Global Way Points on the continent than everyone in the empire can see regardless of outfit, platoon, squad, or solo status. This will help accentuate �Defend this base�, �Get this Generator up�, etc. Only once set of 4-6 of these CWP (continental way points) can be set. So commanders will have to decide where they should be and have one person set them or take turns moving them as needed etc. To help give players incentive to actually obey the commanders and their orders there could be a mild BEP and CEP reward for engaging enemy forces within a certain radius from the CWP. This would give a reward for those who help with the battle plan. Players would get their experience bonus and commanders would actually be obeyed and see their plans in action.

Security Terminal (defense): Accessing this terminal would display a detailed Base Map (showing all levels in one view) with enhanced warning indications for door breechings (CC, Gen, Back Door, Spawn Room). All enemy troops would show as red dots on this map and friendly troops would show as green dots. Friendly SLs would show as blue dots. So that at a glance a commander could see how many troops he has and where they are and who the SLs are. He would then have a special chat function that would issue out /l chats to that base�s SOI in a special orange color to denote they are from the local base �Security Commander�. A good commander would crush enemy opposition by having the ability to direct troops exactly where needed. He would have the ability to place �hot spots� on the base map that players see on their mini-map. These would shot as red flashing spots with a little radiation effect to show where the commander wants defensive lined drawn or to expose an enemy incursion.

The Player Interface and New Maps

I�d ditch all of the automatic reporting the maps do such troop warnings and hot spot indications and instead make this a simple manual system of reporting. I�d make the interface similar to how the voice chats in that you have a series of hot keys to navigate multiple choice menu options. So if you press 1 key the menu pops up and the second key stroke sends the report for things like: Enemy Armor, Enemy Troops, Enemy Air, Enemy AMS, Enemy Loadstar, etc. Making these reports would have a quick built in �reality check� the game would to just to verify that enemy troops are indeed in the area. This would prevent some goober from spamming false reports. Thus players could report and update the map that everyone sees rather then it being automated. I�d give a mild CEP reward for SLs who report enemy movements as that should be part of their job. Anyone else can report but they get no reward past the recognition. Making a �report� would put an icon on the map to indicate armor, air, troops, or whatever and it would stay there until the enemy force is dealt with or moves on. This part would be automated to simplify things for players.

Flames? Flames? Or Flames?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion