Game Engine: Appearance options - discussion - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sigbot ate my parents!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-10-12, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Appearance options - discussion

Appearance options appear to be the driving force behind the cash shop, or at least a good portion of it. As such we should probably have some kind of discussion about what options we want to see available at all, what should be earned through game play and which could be bought from the shop.

Obviously different armour classes will appear different, and we have seen that the medic, at least in the concept art has a set look to help identify them to both friend and foe alike. We can probably safely assume that this will carry across to engineers and hackers, as well as perhaps commanders and squad/platoon leaders.

We have also seen battle rank earn different uniforms to display the veteran status of players and it can probably be safely assumed that you will get more appearance customisation options as you progress.

I would like to see outfit rank displayed on characters as well; perhaps as a military style rank displayed on a shoulder pad.

Now these are what I consider the basics, but to what extent do you think that further options should allow; take capes as a random potential upgrade; should they be reserved for top commanders or should every person be able to simply buy them?

What don't you want to see?
Old 2011-10-12, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Re: Appearance options - discussion

It sounds like outfits will be able to assign their own uniform(s). If that is plural, then you can have different (even "completely different") uniforms for different ranks. Possibly a cash shop thing for extra slots, or simply based on outfit training (or rank?).

I understand that there's no specific visual cue for BR like there is in PS1. You'll have to deduce BR by knowing the gear they're carrying. "She's packing 3 med kits on her belt, so she has to be at least BR 16" sort of thing.
Old 2011-10-12, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Come to think of it, besides tons of armor variants (and of course vehicle variants) I don't think thats enough to really have a flowing and stable income of a cash shop.
Old 2011-10-13, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Senyu View Post
Come to think of it, besides tons of armor variants (and of course vehicle variants) I don't think thats enough to really have a flowing and stable income of a cash shop.
For one thing, they have already said that you will be able to purchase certain guns and pieces of equipment from the cash shop, as a short cut over earning them or finding them or whatever.

In addition there will be the standard stuff like XP boosts and other bonuses like that. I wouldn't be surprised if you could also purchase a supply of various resources so that you could use some of your weapon and vehicle modifications even when your empire has lost control of the resources needed for those items.

As for making money off of cosmetic items, this will only be a successful ongoing source of income if they keep making more cosmetics to buy. That's how other successful cash shops have done cosmetics at least.

We already know that cash shops can bring in more money than subscriptions. We also know that they can be done without destroying game balance. The only question now is how well PS2 will perform in both of these areas.

I wonder if they will offer any types of discounts to an outfit purchasing a cosmetic option for their entire group. Like maybe if the outfit pays 10 or 20 times the cosmetic items usual price, they permanently unlock it to be used for free by any member of the outfit. Obviously the use of the item would be tied to membership in that outfit, so you would lose access if you were no longer a member.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2011-10-13 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2011-10-13, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
It sounds like outfits will be able to assign their own uniform(s).
Hmm, if this happens it looks like I won't be in an outfit.
Old 2011-10-14, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Hmm, if this happens it looks like I won't be in an outfit.
I think I might be more interested in Outfits if we could vote the leaders Off the Island.
Old 2011-10-14, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Hopefully uniforms wont be a mandatory part of PS2 outfits and that those players who don't want to look like their team mates will be able to join outfits who don't demand anything of their members appearance.

I hope that there is a little bit more mix and match, as opposed to just picking one cosmetic look that defines your entire appearance. I think it would be pretty cool to set up an outfit where there is one uniform design aspect that is the same throughout the entire outfit, with another part that is uniform within a certain division (air cav, tanks, spec ops, etc) while the rest is left up for personalization by the individual members.
Old 2011-10-14, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

From what I gleaned from the devs comments outfits could give their troops a uniform that they could choose to wear, not necessarily force them to.
Old 2011-10-14, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

PS2 Items need the Variety of Team Fortress 2 Micro transactions, but with no discernible specific "advantage". It would be nice for items to have "Unique" attributes however; assuming you could keep it balanced or negligible.

One item that does need to be included in some way is the April Fools cowboy hat from the Oshur Events. Maybe even give it away with pre-orders or something.
Old 2011-10-15, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Speaking of Team Fortress 2, another thing you could purchase could be things like the ability to name your guns, or other trivial stuff that wouldn't affect game balance, but could convince some players to drop a few bucks for the personal touch.
Old 2011-10-15, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Raka Maru
Major

Customizing appearance:

Capes
Tats
Caps
Helms
Head accessories: card, cigs, netting, spikes, decals...
Facial irregularities: scars, moles, eyepatch, brain plug...
Belts
Boots
Pants
Holsters
Sashes

The list goes on. Things will be available to all and some will be premium. People will spend money to look exactly how they want their toon should look to them.

Vehicles:

Decals
Netting
Special cammo
Gunner shields (cosmetic)
Tinted windows
Mags
Spoilers
Turbo pipes
Flames (animated exhaust)
Nose art
Spikes
Etc...

Weapons:
Decals
Special cammo
Bayonet
Kill score notches
Initials

This should be fun for us AND profitable for SOE. Micro transactions work elsewhere, it will work in PS2 also and I'm looking forward to spending money for these things.
Old 2011-10-15, 01:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Traak
Colonel

I hope, like the original game, there isn't any blood or gore.

If they do, I want to have the option of toggling off people's guts bursting open, their brain disintegrating, limbs flying off, or blood. Doesn't add anything to the game, for me.
Old 2011-10-16, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
dm Akolyte
Corporal

You realize you'll be playing a game where you are simulating slaughtering as many people as you can, right?
Old 2011-10-16, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Dismemberment is awesome. I love the Deadly Reflex mod in Oblivion and the saberrealisticcombat setting in Jedi knight II

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault