Reaver - Worth it or not? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if this soup is... - OH CRAP I SPI... *Connection lost*
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Is the Reaver still worth four certification points?
Yes 45 73.77%
No 16 26.23%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-08-29, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rightwing
First Sergeant

Reaver - Worth it or not?

With the buffing of the AA MAXes, and the Sparrow's Fire and Forget rockets that will chase you clear across a continent, its becoming ever harder to effectively fly a Reaver in battle.

So I ask the community, is the Reaver as effective as it was in beta? Back in beta you could stash nothing but Rocket Pods and a Nano Dispensor with some nanite canisters in the trunk, and fight for hours.

Now you're lucky if you can stay in the air for more than 10 minutes, a typical run for me lasts about 8-10 minutes, killing several ground troops, and getting 10+ hate tells.

So I ask you all, is the Reaver still worth the 4 certs that it once was? Or is it a hunk of junk that should be degraded to 3 cert points? But then what purpose does the Mosquito serve? Would it be brought down to two points?

Does anyone feel the same way?
Old 2003-08-29, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Nimbus
First Lieutenant

Wheee!

Personally, I really like the Reaver. I have to agree that the dang fire and forget rockets are a pain in the arse though. I think it's still worth 4 cert points though. They have a lot of firepower for a 1 man flying vehicle. With a trunk full of rockets you can really mess things up.
Old 2003-08-29, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

In an air wing, the Reaver is great at air to ground actions, though not as good at air-to-air as the Mosquito (yes, I fly for a major outfit). Given that the Reaver only requires a crew of one, and can effectively attack pretty much anything (infantry, air, and vehicles), an extra cert point is well worth it. The Reaver should not be all-powerful - the MAX boosts are an important check on swarms of Reavers.
Old 2003-08-29, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kornflake�
Corporal

Re: Reaver - Worth it or not?

Originally posted by TheRealPSJunkie
is the Reaver as effective as it was in beta?
The reaver is only as effective as it's pilot!

We may have a few extra things to worry about when flying now, but where's the fun without the challenge?

-Kornflake�
Old 2003-08-29, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
nonentity
Private

Yes it's worth it.

Just learn to fly (what? You expect to be able to hover over a base and rain rockets down without being shot?)

Oh, and the Sparrow is easy to lose (I'm a VS player, you get used to dodging missile locks :)
Old 2003-08-29, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I think the reaver is totally worth the 4 certs.
Old 2003-08-29, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Nimbus
First Lieutenant

long and thought out post for the day

QUOTE]So I ask the community, is the Reaver as effective as it was in beta? Back in beta you could stash nothing but Rocket Pods and a Nano Dispensor with some nanite canisters in the trunk, and fight for hours.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like the Reaver used to be a veritable Angel of Death. Granted, a lone Reaver is a target and often doesn't last long, but squads are pretty fearsome.

Here's a tip. Think about it from somebody who's NOT in a Reaver. Moving reaver's are tough to hit and tough to take down. As soon as they feel the heat they get the hell out of the kitchen and regroup. The last thing any force wants is an enemy reaver zooming around where there is no ant-aircraft support. Reavers have more than enough fire power to tear up light vehicles and infantry and more than enough speed to get the hell out when things get rough or the ammo gets low.

If a halfway decent reaver pilot could dodge most anti-aircraft fire and get away from fire and forget rockets, then what really could you do against them? They'd be the perfect weapon. When you have weaponry that decimates them, then you have a good set of checks and balances.

The reaver is still one of the best aircraft, if not the best and it's still worth 4 points. You just have to either avoid anti-aircraft units or rely on your own heavy support team to try and take them out for you.
Old 2003-08-29, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

My opinion is that the Reaver is worth MORE than 4 cert points. It's the second fastest/most menuverable vehicle in the game, It has just about the most firepower available to any aircraft(and most ground vehicles), and more armor than a light tank.

I've flown the reaver and fought against them, and while the reavers power is limited by the pilot's intelegence/sklill, so is every other weapon in this game. It is deffinately the most powerful and useful combat vehicle in the game.
Now you're lucky if you can stay in the air for more than 10 minutes, a typical run for me lasts about 8-10 minutes, killing several ground troops, and getting 10+ hate tells.
Do you know how long an infantry that has spent 8+ cert poinst to be an effective grunt lasts in a combat zone? They're lucky to last 3 minutes and can't run from the battle effectively to heal/repair.

Tired of grief, stop shooting explosives near friendlies. Try it, it helps tons.
Old 2003-08-29, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

My personal feeling is an ungodly cheap weapon platform that needs to be nerfed to hell or axed completely with the skeeter given a minor buff (2 atg bombs or something.)

It's the second fastest, second most maneuverable, most heavily armed and most heavily armored single person combat vehicle in the game, all that for a grand total of four cert points. Boo fucking hoo there's one unit on each side that can combat you effectively, spend a day in the trenches and see how long you live with the god damned angel of death over your shoulder.
Old 2003-08-29, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
PallarAndersVis
Private

it just depends on how you fly the reaver. I see people all the time that just stop and hover above a base and shoot aimlessly. Sure they might get better aim, but that leaves them as an open target for ANYthing. I have killed alot of reavers by just using the rocket rifle (remember, no locks on this) The dumb reaver pilot just hovers in one spot, and i start shooting at him and boom, they are deaed.

if you are going to fly the reaver, DO NOT STOP IN MID AIR. Thats the dumbest thing you can do and just leaves you as an open target
Old 2003-08-29, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

Reaver owns.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-08-29, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
scarpas
Captain

quote: Do you know how long an infantry that has spent 8+ cert poinst to be an effective grunt lasts in a combat zone? They're lucky to last 3 minutes and can't run from the battle effectively to heal/repair.

definety true although the fact that you can ony get it at places linked too tech facils shoud bring it down to three certs
Old 2003-08-29, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Phaden
Contributor
Major

i agree with pallerandvis, easy kills with the rocket rifle when they stand still. If they are moving i am lucky to hit with 2 out of 6 shots wile leading!
Old 2003-08-30, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The Mosquito owns Reaver for so many reasons:

1: No tech tree requirements
2: The true king of the skies, aka the premier dueling craft
3: Overflight Radar -- nuff said
4: Radar-invisible, no getting shot by Phalanx turrets
5: 3 certs, not 4 - can make or break a template

Buff Mosquito? No need. Nerf Reaver? Unwise. Check your vehicle kills and you'll likely find you've killed more Reavers than other vehicle types - not because they're necessarily overabundant, but because they have huge vulnerabilities to common battlefield assets.

/just my opinion

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-08-30, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Caspertoo
Sergeant

Reaver kicks ass.....but you have to know how to use it now.

Sparrow is total BS, those fire and forget missles scream newbie each time they hit you. Sparrow was good enough before.

For me my main character is a reaver/grunt and because of the reaver I have over 850 kills and I'm only just got BR 12. Thats over 400 more than the average for my BR.

On average I usually only get one or two passes before i have to afterburn away and repair, but thats ok because I'll kill 2-3 guys each pass.

So yes I think the reaver is worth the cert points but only if you get engineer too. So really IMO the reaver costs 7 cert points not 4.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion