Hearing Silent feet? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where no fan has gone before
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-16, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Hearing Silent feet?

I have had issues with games with not hearing people coming up behind me. Like in COD you can barely hear people vs combat ares which you can hear them from one side of the map to the other. Could the devs add something in between that or is it going to be leaning into one or the other. There should not be Silent Running unless your floating over the air as you walk. People are going to hear you there is no way to mask it.
Old 2012-06-16, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

Re: Hearing Silent feet?

I hope footsteps do make noise, and that it depends on whether walking/running and the type of terrain. I still remember the time in Crysis where a guy was running on the metal floor of an aircraft carrier, I got up to the door and waited for the sounds to get close and BANG shotgun to the face. Dude flew into the sea, proceeded to accuse me of hacking.

I do want to see this, though. It's an interesting feature, even if it's not used too much.
Old 2012-06-16, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Revanmug
Sergeant

Originally Posted by fishirboy View Post
I have had issues with games with not hearing people coming up behind me. Like in COD you can barely hear people vs combat ares which you can hear them from one side of the map to the other. Could the devs add something in between that or is it going to be leaning into one or the other. There should not be Silent Running unless your floating over the air as you walk. People are going to hear you there is no way to mask it.
huh... Except if they change footsteps sound in the latest MW (and if they remove death silence/ninja from the previous game), you pick the worse exemple possible as it was quite easy to hear people running around.

Do you use a headset?
Old 2012-06-16, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

In PS1 'listening' if you were infiltrating, or doing something covert was so important I kept a bind key to move me to a suppressed channel in teamspeak/mumble.

Each class made it's own footfalls, and many of the weapons had unique draw-noises, and the hacking made a beeping sound. If you were listening, you could know exactly how someone was breaching a base, and how challenging they would be, from the sound alone.

Did they not draw a weapon after hacking that door? 'Awesome. Time to strike'

That kind of thing was fun, knowing the devs silent movement and stealth things will be making a comeback in planetside 2 because of "CUST-OM-IZATION" as T-Ray would say.
Old 2012-06-16, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

I have had issues with games with not hearing people coming up behind me. Like in COD you can barely hear people vs combat ares which you can hear them from one side of the map to the other.
On what platform? It sounds like you might have a sound issue with the game's configuration (or potentially your system?). On the PC, perhaps due to having issues in the configuration with: sound set to 5.1 or something and this not translating well to whatever you are actually using, or hardware vs software sound, or possibly other things that I can't recall at the moment. Google may be able to assist if you can figure out the right words to search for.

If someone is audible when they're at a particular angle to you, but not audible at another angle while still at the same distance, this is probably the reason.
Old 2012-06-16, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dairian
Sergeant

I loved how PS1 did it. If you had audio amp you could hear there footsteps better and see them on the map. And if you had silent run the enemy couldn't hear you at all.

This is why I play with NO music. LOL

Sound was everything in PS1.
Old 2012-06-16, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I loved the raging sounds of battle in the E3 footage, but I do hope they don't skimp on the footstep sounds. Your hearing isn't going to be obscured by nearby explosions 24/7.
Old 2012-06-16, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Footstep sounds are essential!

I'm sure they should add this.
Old 2012-06-16, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

/sign on the return of the old implants... and footsteps, holstering/unholstering sounds, and all the other aural indicators.
Old 2012-06-16, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

I am sorry I think I was remembering War Inc to much, it has a messed up sound system and some times they don't make a sound, or they walk on mete while you hear dirt. but I know that there was some game that had it to low of a foot fall. Hope they don't mess it up.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Troscus
Corporal

I know alot of people hate it, but TF2 did it really well, in my opinion. If you were paying attention, the spies were no problem as a heavy, because their footsteps weren't masked by being invisible. Just turn when you heard them behind you, blast, turn back.

Anyone with headphones that had the right in right ear, left in left could tell you EXACTLY where a moving spy was.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post
In PS1 'listening' if you were infiltrating, or doing something covert was so important I kept a bind key to move me to a suppressed channel in teamspeak/mumble.

Each class made it's own footfalls, and many of the weapons had unique draw-noises, and the hacking made a beeping sound. If you were listening, you could know exactly how someone was breaching a base, and how challenging they would be, from the sound alone.

Did they not draw a weapon after hacking that door? 'Awesome. Time to strike'

That kind of thing was fun, knowing the devs silent movement and stealth things will be making a comeback in planetside 2 because of "CUST-OM-IZATION" as T-Ray would say.
Reminds me of my favorite "Shit that sound, BOOMER UNDER MY ASS MOVOMOVMOVE! Oh, wait, that's a friendly engi placing motion sensors... *pokerface*" sniping moments.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Are you thinking of console fps games? I have had the unfortunate experience of playing call of duty on both console and PC, and you can't hear shit unless you have headphones on. Once you have headphones, you can hear someone and kill them through a wall.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
jepaul
First Sergeant

Good point.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Koosalagoosagoo
Private

I cant tell you how much hearing peoples feet helps on battlefield 3 when I am on the second floor of a building.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion