Character Wipe - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beware, free fire zone ahead.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-15, 01:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
soulsurfsublime
Corporal

Character Wipe

I was wondering if they will wipe our beta character progress and user names from the servers once beta has ended? I wasn't sure if there has been an official statement or not. I asked on twitter a few times and got no response. I am assuming that as in all beta's this will be the case.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Dubious
Sergeant

Re: Character Wipe

Closed beta always get wiped

we just have to wait and see what they decide to do with open beta
in other games, open beta only get wiped if they have to do major changes during the open beta testing..
Old 2012-07-15, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kupo
Corporal

of course they should wipe, even open beta should be wiped. cant have people starting out with better certs than others when game launches
Old 2012-07-15, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kupo View Post
of course they should wipe, even open beta should be wiped. cant have people starting out with better certs than others when game launches
Though I'm hoping Beta testers will be able to reserve character names at least ^_^
Old 2012-07-15, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Beta characters, both closed and open are never saved for obvious reasons.

Everything is subject to change in beta so when it comes to release you need to start afresh.
Old 2012-07-15, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by NoDachi View Post

Everything is subject to change in beta so when it comes to release you need to start afresh.
Well you say that, but other F2P games have gone from open to launch w/out wiping characters (T:A, for example).

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-15, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ninjacalypse
Corporal

Originally Posted by NoDachi View Post

Closed Betas are almost always wiped. Open Betas are almost always not wiped.

In fact, I've beta tested literally hundreds of games. In not a single Open Beta have I had a character wipe.
Old 2012-07-16, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
BraavikStal
Private

I'm divided on this issue. I guess I would ultimately support wiping characters in both the closed and open beta's. Wouldn't exactly be fair if some people went really far in the beta and were OP when the game got released.
Old 2012-07-16, 03:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Boomhowser
Corporal

when game goes live.. all players should be created equally in the eyes of the Lor.. um SOE
Old 2012-07-16, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gore
Private

Being allowed to keep ones name would be nice though.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
DukeTerror
Private

Well the argument the Devs make is that more certs and battle rank does not make you a better than a new player. That would apply to why it wouldn't matter to wipe open beta players. There will likely be wipes during the beta, but the last week or so should be safe and worth letting beta testers keep. Especially if they start testing the store and players start buying things.
Old 2012-07-16, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ZaBa
Corporal

Wipe everything, but give beta testers a month's worth or so of free cert points in the bank as a thankyou.
Old 2012-07-16, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by DukeTerror View Post
Well the argument the Devs make is that more certs and battle rank does not make you a better than a new player. That would apply to why it wouldn't matter to wipe open beta players.
But what if in the beta you got an insane amount of exp for something trivial like hacking, or killing people with grenades or any arbitrary condition, and as a result make characters have been exp padded to silly levels?

The entire cert tree and process is subject to change anyway. You'll have to start afresh on the new and updated trees and exp system in the live game.

Originally Posted by ZaBa View Post
Wipe everything, but give beta testers a month's worth or so of free cert points in the bank as a thankyou.
Playing the game is thankyou enough.
Old 2012-07-16, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Technically, (last I heard) a fully certed character will be around 20% more potent than a brand new character. More importantly though, Beta testing is for testing, not jacking up stats for when the game goes live.
Old 2012-07-16, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
More importantly though, Beta testing is for testing, not jacking up stats for when the game goes live.
I think this is the most important reason we've all overlooked.

We're suppose to be testing, and that means putting certs in a variety of places, not min/maxing out characters ready for release.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions