Couple questions from a prospective player about the races... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got some time on your hands? Wait, nevermind, why else are you here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-14, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
XeeN
Private

Couple questions from a prospective player about the races...

I'm really interested in Planetside (as well as some of my friends) and I have a couple questions about the balance between the races.

What do you guys think will be the complaints about each race? In most games where you have teams with different advantages you get a huge amount of envy and angry rivalry going because team A thinks that some of their equipment sucks and thinks that team B's equipment is way overpowered, and team A and B think that team C gets it too easy.

I've read a lot about Verant thinking that Vanu are stupid and it seems that a lot of people on this forum look down on them (and some others lift them up). I'd like to know why. Do they seem to kill too easily, or does their technology become more annoying than anything else? I heard they are very good hackers... but can't that be the same for all sides?

I would think that the Vanu would be the underdogs, with less weaponry and less armor but more tech toys.

Thanks for any reply,

XeeN
Old 2002-12-14, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

I really don't think there should be any complaints about the empire you are because if you chose it, then you should know the pros and cons and should accept them. For example, if the Vanu have the best weapons in the game and you're primary concern is weapons, you go and join the TR and you don't like their weapons, DON'T COMPLAIN! You chose to go TR so you shouldn't be mad because it is your fault that you didn't go Vanu

Oh and about the whole Vanu thing... I think they're just jealous of our uber purple and teal armor!

I Qanamil_Rafiki for this sig!
Old 2002-12-14, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Geiden
Private

Empires...

From what I've seen so far the 3 empires are VERY evenly matched. And I think any inconsistencies will be worked out in Beta. I guarantee you that there will be whiners bitching about how Empire A is unbalanced because Empire B has X... But that will happen regardless of whether there is a true imbalance or the whiner is just a suck-ass player.

Vanu get a bad rap from the fact that they were all peace-loving hippie scientists before the Wormhole closed. Also, their pansie armor is purple and teal. It doesn't have anything to do with their effectiveness in battle. We'll still have to see how their energy weapons compare to the ballistic weapons of the other empires, but I imagine they'll be pretty good.
Old 2002-12-14, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Marsman
Major

Most of what you are seeing is just good hearted rivalry. Since the game is barely in internal beta, balance issues have yet to be tested but as someone stated, the devs have worked hard to achieve balance. At this point, it just poking fun at each other and not based upon any gameplay issues.
Old 2002-12-14, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

I also think that the beta will smooth things out VERY nicely. At release things should be very evenly matched. The only problem I hope we can avoid is a stacking of empires. Hopefully there aren't twice as many TR as there are NC... etc. Diversity will make things much more fun.
Old 2002-12-14, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
�io
Lieutenant General

Re: Empires...

Originally posted by Geiden
I guarantee you that there will be whiners bitching about how Empire A is unbalanced because Empire B has X... But that will happen regardless of whether there is a true imbalance or the whiner is just a suck-ass player.
Yep this happens in EVERY game with all kinds of sore losers and idiots. It's life.(unfortunately)

As for balance yeah all 3 empires seem to be very balanced and all seem to be evenly matched in player support all though TR is a bit ahead. (I blame Smokejumper, that traitor should have joined VS! )
Old 2002-12-14, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

In my experience (even though it wasnt that long hehe) the empires were very evenly matched. Each empire has its own advantages and disadvantages. No empire was owning it up in battle - I think it should be very interesting to see how it works out on the large scale.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-14, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

I have mixed feelings about all of the teams.

I like the Vanu because their outfits look damn cool, they embrace technology, they use a logical approach to things, and according to most - they are the underdog.

I like the Terrans because their outfits look damn cool, they've upheld peace and prosperity for over 1000 years, I like their vehicles/equipment, and the goggles - they do nothing.

I like the NC because of their weapons. That's about it... Their doctrine, while good in intention, is something I don't agree with. Anarchy = Pain. And their uniforms are ghey. Standard issue, kind of klunky looking, not very stylish at all. In all liklihood, I prolly won't join the NC.

When PS rolls around, I'm going to be sitting at the Empire selection screen for a long ass time.
Old 2002-12-14, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by Zarparchior
When PS rolls around, I'm going to be sitting at the Empire selection screen for a long ass time.

As for VS being the underdog right now on the official polls we are no longer. We have a bit more than the NC.

But combine official polls with the peeps here and the VS isn't far from the underdog status. I'm hoping we are indeed the underdog, more challenge, more fun and more glory when we 0wnz NC f00s.
Old 2002-12-14, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Geiden
Private

The only problem I hope we can avoid is a stacking of empires.

Supposedly there will be measures in place to keep populations balanced, such as bonus rewards for Empires that are undermanned and the ability for entire Outfits to switch to Empires with the lowest populations... Time will tell what gets implemented and how.
Old 2002-12-14, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Corbie
Private

well, I think that each empire offers something to a different player. For example..if you like up close and personal, one hit kills, and the satisfying KABOOM! of a large and highly overpower handcannon..then the NC are for you. They are all about powerful weapons and head on attacks.

If you like spraying lead all over the place, walking into a room and leaving it looking like swiss cheese, and defending..then TR is for you. They are about high rates of fire, and defense.

If you like speed and precision, lightning raids, and like to have a choice between a gun that is powerful, or a gun that has a high rate of fire, then Vanu are for you. They are all about speed and versatility.

some people may disagree with my perception of the three factions, but thats how I see em.

As you can see..these three factions all have different strengths, if you pick the one that best fits your play style..then you should feel right at home. This isnt to say that you cant be a head on offensive guy on Vanu, or have a good defense on NC..the common pool makes sure of that.
Old 2002-12-14, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

It's not like we'll be lef tout in the cold, there is a single player isn't there? Try the different races out there.
Old 2002-12-14, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

I dont think there is a single player... there is training if that's what you mean...
Old 2002-12-14, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

There is no single player mode at all - but there is VR Training where you can try out any weapon/vehicle

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-14, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Even another Empire's?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion