Is this game AMD crossfire compatible? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I attended PSU for 3 1/2 years and I'm still as dumb as post!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-16, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Is this game AMD crossfire compatible?

Hey guys, here is my system:

i7920
6gb ddr3
windows 7
1920x1080

Just bought another 4890 on Ebay for crossfire. Right now with single gpu I'm getting playable fps on medium but would like to play with everything on high. So is this game xfire compatible? Will I see a large fps increase?

Also, if I enable the gpu physics option in settings, will it work or no because I don't have an nivida physx gpu? I have tried enabling, disabling it, but I am not noticing any discernible difference whether in graphics or fps. Thanks.
Old 2012-09-16, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
AThreatToYou
Major

Re: Is this game AMD crossfire compatible?

Eventually it will be crossfire compatible, but I don't know if it is right now. Probably isn't. However, it is highly doubtful you would see an FPS increase even if it was crossfire compatible because PS2 puts a much fatter load on your CPU than it does your GPU.

And you need more RAM! 6 GB so odd, jus sayin. But your CPU should be fine.
Old 2012-09-16, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Really, I need more RAM? I thought 6gb was plenty for any game out today. I remember reading anything over 6gb is just future-proofing for games that aren't even out yet.

Edit: just checked windows task messenger. My memory usage during PS2 is around 4gb. So I have an extra 2gb that is not being used. So 6gb is definitely enough right?

Last edited by CrazEpharmacist; 2012-09-16 at 09:24 AM.
Old 2012-09-16, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
AThreatToYou
Major

Well, I suppose if playing PS2 is all you'll ever do at once, 6 gb is fine. Such an oddly even number though an 8 gb is gonna roll you less than 50$ these days.

You say you have an i7 and now two 4890's, but only 6 gb of RAM? Bit backwards there, going all-out high-roller on two things then leaving one thing below average. It does make sense though because if you're doing only 1 thing at a time with your PC, 6 gb is plenty.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2012-09-16 at 11:13 AM.
Old 2012-09-16, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
Well, I suppose if playing PS2 is all you'll ever do at once, 6 gb is fine. Such an oddly even number though an 8 gb is gonna roll you less than 50$ these days.

You say you have an i7 and now two 4890's, but only 6 gb of RAM? Bit backwards there, going all-out high-roller on two things then leaving one thing below average. It does make sense though because if you're doing only 1 thing at a time with your PC, 6 gb is plenty.
6 GB is plenty. The highest I've seen the system use RAM was 4.5 GB. Also, 6 GB of RAM is not below average. Average is like 2-4 GB
Old 2012-09-16, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Shinjorai
First Sergeant

6 GB should be plenty for PS2 its a 32 bit application and by default can only use up to 4 gb of ram. You have to take into account though TSRs or background processes that run and use up ram also. That can get pretty high sometimes, but you can use a program like gamebooster or similar to free up ram if thats a concern.

Ram really is pretty cheap now adays though you can pick up 16 gb for around a hundred bucks. Not that i consider that a trivial amount of money just saying compared to ram prices a while back thats pretty cheap.
Old 2012-09-22, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
mikemyers
Private

Id also like to clarify something. I notice you mention him having 6gb of ram is "odd". The reasoning behind this is because of the type of system he has built. His motherboard is whats is based off cpu socket 1366 motherboard which is unique in the fact that it uses triple channel DDR3 ram. Most of today's systems use the socket 1155(sandybridge) motherboards which still uses dual channel DDR3 ram. Now dual channel ram performs best in multiples of 2gb,4gb,8gb,16gb. With triple channel ram your ram will perform best at 3gb,6gb,9gb. Also id like to state that 6gb is perfectly enough for any of todays games.

Last edited by mikemyers; 2012-09-22 at 01:19 PM.
Old 2012-09-22, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Galron
Staff Sergeant

You're better off spending $ on a more recent video card than an extra one that is 3-4 generations old. Your CPU is enough to push a modern video card, might as well grab one.
Old 2012-09-22, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Fenrys
Major

At the moment, you'll get better performance from a single card. Eventually there will be xfire support, but it's not in yet and the 2nd card will actually hurt performance.

Right now, you can drop $400 on a 7970 and improve your performance by 100%.
Or you could spend $170 on a 6870 and improve your performance by 50%.

By the time PS2 is released, the 8000 series will be right around the corner, and you might be able to double your current performance for $150-$200.
Old 2012-12-11, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
turbochop
Private

Originally Posted by Shinjorai View Post
6 GB should be plenty for PS2 its a 32 bit application and by default can only use up to 4 gb of ram. You have to take into account though TSRs or background processes that run and use up ram also. That can get pretty high sometimes, but you can use a program like gamebooster or similar to free up ram if thats a concern.

Ram really is pretty cheap now adays though you can pick up 16 gb for around a hundred bucks. Not that i consider that a trivial amount of money just saying compared to ram prices a while back thats pretty cheap.
TSRs? TSRs?! BWA HA HA HAHAHAHA! Because this game runs best in DOS, right? Trololololololol! (yes, I registered just to get that out of my system)
But seriously, I don't think TSRs are the problem. Modern OS's have protected memory and other things that make TSRs obsolete.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion