Orbital Strike and PS2 - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does this site make my butt look big?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

Re: Orbital Strike and PS2

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
make it a 25 frag killstreak reward.
Sorry but no.. that just way to much like CoD for me.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vetto View Post
Sorry but no.. that just way to much like CoD for me.

Awesome.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

From today's interview with Matt the concept of the OS is fundamentally different in PS2.

My takeaway summary from Matt's interview with Hamma

1) It's a tradeoff. You have to choose whether you want artillery support (which is what the OS is), or other ordinance like mines, C4, possibly grenades. This is very similar to BFBC2 where as a recon class you had to choose between mortar strike and C4.

2) There's different configurations. You could have small strikes or large strikes, long strikes or short strikes. Like all things this too will have tradeoffs and affect cooldown & cost.

3) It has a cooldown. You won't be able to spam it. Cooldown will vary based on the configuration you want to run. If you want a small strike like BFBC2's mortars then you might be able to do those reasonably frequently but they aren't anywhere near the type of OS from PS1. If you want a big nasty OS like PS1 you can expect it to have a long cooldown.

4) It has a resource cost. Like grenades and other AoE weapons you will have to pay resources if you want to use an orbital strike. Like cooldown the cost will vary with configuration with the bigger OS's being more expensive.

5) Like any other weapon you will have to cert it to get all of the options.

It all makes sense as a great way to have them but balance them. BFBC2 had a great example of how to have orbital strikes, even frequent ones, without being super-OP or have it ridiculous with everyone having them. Potentially everyone could have them but if it gets out of control they can easily up the resource cost and/or the cooldowns.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion