Galaxy, auto-repairing in mid air ( 00:30 ) - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: REEEEECOLLA!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Duddy
First Sergeant

Re: Galaxy, auto-repairing in mid air ( 00:30 )

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Wait, slow auto-repairs promote bailing now? Can someone please explain this to me before I say something hideously obnoxious?
I think it's under the flawed assumption that the repair gives you enough time to bail out before death.

I agree that if anything it does quite the opposite, given how the mechanic appears to work.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Those auto-repairing Galaxies are going to feel pretty darn foolish when they've got a couple dozen rockets locked onto them. If they can survive long enough to get away and auto-repair, they can survive long enough to go land and repair with a glue gun.

If auto-repair ends up being overpowered, then it's a balance issue and needs to be sorted out. If auto-repair is well balanced against the other options that can go in the same slot, then it's an issue of variety, and an issue of not having your panties in a bunch that it's kind of similar to some other game that you may not like.

My reaction would be extremely different if it were always equipped on every vehicle.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

We don't know what upgrades and utilty items that galaxy had. Slow auto-repair might be one such upgrade it was running. If it was a tradeoff I don't see an issue with it.

Galaxies are big easy targets that are going to get shot at by everything. A little slow auto-repair isn't going to make them unkillable, and having ot get out and top off after every stray bullet or minor ding is rather tedious. It won't stop a relentless attacker from blowing it up as we also saw in the video.

I think people are over-reacting about this thing and it's really something that we can't truly understand until we play the game and see how it fits in. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't, but we can't make that determination yet. It doesn't seem like an agregious game breaking feature to me.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Judging from the live-cast, we can see that auto-repair is a certification tree, both in power (?) and speed in which it repairs.

This worries me. I passionately dislike auto repair. It diminishes the effectiveness and purpose of engineers, and takes out a key tactical element of the game. Speaking from my experience in BF2 and 2142, it required skill and consideration to return to your base and repair your helicopter and jet, and reinforced teamplay within tanks and other ground vehicles.

I really hope, during the Beta, we can be vocal enough to get this "feature" removed.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Judging from the live-cast, we can see that auto-repair is a certification tree, both in power (?) and speed in which it repairs.

This worries me. I passionately dislike auto repair. It diminishes the effectiveness and purpose of engineers, and takes out a key tactical element of the game. Speaking from my experience in BF2 and 2142, it required skill and consideration to return to your base and repair your helicopter and jet, and reinforced teamplay within tanks and other ground vehicles.

I really hope, during the Beta, we can be vocal enough to get this "feature" removed.
I wasn't watching that closely but now, yes, we need to be worried about the possibility that it can be certed to be a lot higher than the video showed...
Old 2012-06-01, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
we can see that auto-repair is a certification tree, both in power (?) and speed in which it repairs.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
Xyntech
Brigadier General

All of those stats (both the base stats and the upgraded stats) can be tweaked. The base idea I'm cool with (deciding if you want auto repair or flairs, etc). The specific stats aren't even really worth talking about until beta where we can not only try them hands on in a battle, but can also actively give additional feedback as changes and tweaks are made.

Speculation and debate is fine and often productive leading up to beta, but some topics have more value than others.

I would agree for example that auto-repair should first and foremost be primarily balanced against it's most upgraded form, not it's base form. If its most upgraded form is overpowered, then the entire thing is overpowered.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Its part of the cert tree Xyntech.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Its part of the cert tree Xyntech.
Right, but auto repair is (or was in TB's video) also a module. So while you can upgrade your auto repair, you won't be able to use those upgrades when that module is unequipped, just like you won't be able to use upgraded flares when the flare module isn't equipped.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #100
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

They have power increase, in my Planetside.

At this point, the Auto repair is secondary concern, however its equipped.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-06-01 at 09:39 AM.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #101
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
They have power increase, in my Planetside.

At this point, the Auto repair is secondary concern, however its equipped.
We already knew they did. +20% max has been their stated intent for a while now.

In PS1, you got implants and certain synergistic effects from some cert combinations. As long as they don't go overboard with it in PS2, as long as it's mostly based on sidegrade weapons and equipment (upgrades being to each of those sidegrades), it should be similar to PS1.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #102
Stew
Major

this isnt a problem in BF3 the problem in BF3 is not the self repair vehicules its thats regular rocket sucks only has (( iron sigth view )) and its really hard to calculate the whole tragectory of your rocket to take them down AAA statics turrets as been remoove and LOck on missiles sucks as well ! These are the major problem whith Bf3 aircrafts and gunship !

Nothing to do with self repair the selfrepair is a Utility slots (( perks )) and you have to trade of others things like smoke screen , flares , Radar , etc.. or others pretty fair utility slots ( perks ) available ! Each ones could be great depending on your plan and gameplay style !

This ability have a trade off their is ONE utility slots so if you choose this one u must make it worth it lol !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-01 at 09:48 AM.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
Stardouser
Colonel

Auto regen is a major problem in BF3. Tanks camp at long range, and simply back out when they take one hit and wait a few seconds for it to be repaired. There are ways that it hurts. With tanks having unlimited ammo, they can play this way and never come down off their mountain camp site.

And while I understand that this is a customization, if it's too powerful, it WILL allow the same uses as BF3's regen.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #104
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I think it's under the flawed assumption that the repair gives you enough time to bail out before death.

I agree that if anything it does quite the opposite, given how the mechanic appears to work.
I think ejection modes is in utility slots as well ?

Also i have to tell that under fire the (( self repair )) will not be active self repair will start repairing after engagements end !

and a slow self repairs isnt a big deal if you have 4 reavers chasing a single glaxie no matter whats if it as auto repair the engagement will not stop until he go down !

This whole debate is a lost of time in my opinion !

I think we should be concerne about tons of thing others than that !
Old 2012-06-01, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #105
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
and a slow self repairs isnt a big deal if you have 4 reavers chasing a single glaxie no matter whats if it as auto repair the engagement will not stop until he go down !
We don't know that it's slow anymore. It was slow in the TB video but now that we saw it can be boosted by certs to be faster/more powerful, it could become a major issue.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion