Aerial Bases - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I don't always drink beer....actually that is a lie.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-05, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
HotDogTommy
Corporal

with aerial bases you'd be eliminating everyone who doesn't have a flying cert from the battle.
Old 2003-02-05, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

OHHH!!! I would love to take and drop tanks on the people below!!!! How cool is that!
ahhh, so your tiring to hack it eh.... well here, have a tank
*shove tank off side*

...........................*3 days later*..........

*Splat!!!*
What killed me????

hahahaha

oh ya, life is good...

But what if......

I wonder if you can drop vechs out of a galaxy at VERY high up, so it could be like a high altitude bomber??? Now that would be a great way to hurt the base defenders!!! Stand together.. i dare ya!!! And have a dude ride in the gun on the way down!!! Shooting and falling on them!!! Oh Ya!!! VALID CRAZY IDEA!!! LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

-MrVulcan - Commander General - Freedom Corp
--Join us!! For Freedom! For Victory! Charge!!!
---http://connect.to/freedomcorp
--Email me with any questions/comments/etc at:
[email protected]
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-02-05, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

You can bail from aircraft at any time, so why not?
Old 2003-02-05, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Unknown
First Sergeant

I doubt they'd add anything along these lines, but it does sound neat. Something slightly similar they've talked about is orbital platforms. It's even in the description of the game. It's one of the things they were going to add but won't due to timeframe limitations. I'd bet that will be one of the first things we see added in updates/expansions.

Last edited by Unknown; 2003-02-05 at 11:38 AM.
Old 2003-02-05, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

actually, I think that they did put it in game, the orbital space platform i think it is talking about is the pod system... Though Other than lower parts of a base, i dont know what the underground part is.... perhaps there are some tunnels from 1 base to another, etc? hmmm.....

"warp gates, human-constructed buildings, underground labyrinths and orbital space platforms."
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-02-05, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

Well, I addressed the issues of noob accessibility, and also, i think that aerial battle are going to happen anyway. However, I believe that most pilots would like something to fight over.

True airspace is an important resource inthis game, but for what? The only you really aquire with airspace is the ability to move Galaxies safer and the ability to scout better. Both of these actions can be performed by ground troops and you can easily take bases without requiring air support. It helps, but it is not neccesary. However, having infantry IS necessay, as are ground vehicles.

This would simply be adding another level of play for pilots and air commanders wanting more interesting challenges. I, personally don't plan on spending most of my time as a pilot, but I would like to see the air role deveop more. I see this as an opening for easier implemenation of new air vehicles and more areas of play.

(Made by Airlift)

I AM the definition of meticulous.

Last edited by Duritz; 2003-02-05 at 04:41 PM.
Old 2003-02-05, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

I think that Air has a very big role. Aire strikes are very powerful, and can not be countered without yourown air power, or a few good rocket soldiers. I think that it will be esp impt vs NC, since NC has many shotgun type weapons, so the NC will have to have an airforce if just to counter that weakness, since other than the rocket, they have no real good long range anti aircraft weapons....
I see air as being a very valuable asset in any battle.

But then again I havent used any of the crafts in PS, so I cant tell you for sure lol =P
Old 2003-02-05, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Sigurd
Corporal

It would be cool dependign on the number of aerial vehicles that you can have on a continent. If you dont have enough it would steal to many air assets from the ground forces and that would suck nuts. It would shift the focus of the game to much away from taking ground and holding bases to, lets raid an airbase that doesnt do much other than act as a resupply and jump off point.
Old 2003-02-05, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

MrVulcan, I agree with you, air can have a big role in the game now, it helps considerably when attacking bases. However, it only HELPS; you could easily have this game work exactly like it is without any air assets at all. You could not do that with ground vehicles or infantry. AMSes, APCs, and infantry are critical to this game in the format that it is in. You also can win battles with nearly the same amount of effort and NO aerial vehicles, but not so with ground forces. What I'm proposing is simply a way to make air units a more integral and required part of the game. I never said that air units were useless, just that they don't play a large enough role to make them required.

I am certain that the devs have already come up with something to add to the game later on, and becasue they are one of the most community oriented dev teams I've seen, I believe that they are looking into what the players want. Now, I do not think that this is one of their suggesions, but I do think that their ideas definitely involve aerial combat in one form or another because the community so far has been looking for a new plane of soem type. I just thought that this idea might open up some new possibilities for dimensions of play and possiby easier integration of new air units.

Sigurd, the devs have told us that there will be absolutely no limit on the number of vehicles. Except that only the number of players that are online can have a vehicle.

Also, you seem to have misinterpreted the aerial bases as air towers. The air towers are already in game, this idea is something totally of topic from reality.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm fanatic about this, I just have to respond to things that bug me. In detail, of course.

(Made by Airlift)

I AM the definition of meticulous.

Last edited by Duritz; 2003-02-05 at 09:23 PM.
Old 2003-02-05, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sigurd
Corporal

well if its unlimited vehicles, than id say your idea has some potential
Old 2003-02-05, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

Duritz, were on the same line of thought =)
Old 2003-02-06, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Arshune
Captain

I had a thought that sort of ties into this...ya know how there was talk that they may be adding in naval battles? Well why don't they just add aerial capital ships? Think about the wealth of strategic options it offers, aerial bombardment, ship-to-ship combat, huge dogfights...and not to mention it would probably lighten the devs' load since they already have a physics model for flight programmed and I'm sure putting things on the water would be a lot harder that programming that same thing to fly in the air. They could make the flying carriers like an AMS in the air with an air unit pad, and they could also have a big battleship too. Goes without saying that it'd have a TON of balancing involved with it, but that sounds like it'd fit in quite well with the futuristic theme to me. I could see it now, a sleek aerial carrier ship cuts through a layer of clouds and emerges on top of an enemy base...then releases a swarm of mosquitoes and reavers out into the airspace around it. It'd be so sweet, I tell ya. SO SWEET!
Old 2003-02-07, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

The orbital platforms are not in the game for now.
Old 2003-02-07, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Arshune
Captain

Speaking of aerial/orbital platforms, that brings something up...since they don't have parachutes in this game, that means there's no fall damage, right? I remember them justifying it with something like "kinetic dampers" or whatnot. That'd be a little disappointing, I always thought the funniest thing in BF1942 was when it first came out and no one knew how to deploy their parachute...heh.

-Our principal is SO hardcore.
Old 2003-02-07, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Valius
Private

I really don't think Airiel Fortresses would be needed to give air units meaning. I mean, they don't have them in real life and air power is still important. Infantry fights the wars and holds the territory, armor and air units gives them an edge against other infantry. Eventually these units evolved to a stand on their own, but infantry, in some form, will always be the backbone of any military force. You learn this kinda stuff when you're the son of a tanker But air platforms do sound cool, maybe the could add in some mecha later.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion