PSU: is cooler than your mom
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2011-11-16, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Your question is not a very good one. Each person plays a different way and each person takes things away from the games we play. As demonstrated in this and the other Star Wars Old Republic thread, your experience will vary. I would say sign up to beta test the game. It's free and you'll get a taste of it before you commit.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-11-16, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: ST:TOR

Originally Posted by Sentrosi View Post

SKYeXile, you just come off as sounding bitter. How about playing the game before judging the game?
Played it, judged it.

Perhaps wow wrapped in star wars wrong the wrong term...its more like Rift warpped in starwars without the world events and jizz coming down from the sky.

There are alot of cool features in the game like your companions leveling trades and going off to do quests and stuff. But I judge a game by its PvP, and i am not entertained...atleast they got the netcode better than blizzard though, through what appears to be the WAR engine...however its other problems remain.

If you're a casual player MMO player, enjoy star wars and past bioware games like mass effect and Dragon age, then you should play this. if you hate EA though, because they're a bunch of pricks, then dont play it.

Or if you're like me and cant decide...Let EA decide for you, they decided im not playing.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2011-11-16 at 07:35 PM.
Old 2011-11-16, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Crator
Major General

It felt refreshing to play a MMORPG again. It was definatly different then the past ones I've played. Great story line flow. I only played to level 10 so didn't experience any PvP. Although that is the most interesting part for me. I hope they got it right or will get it right
Old 2011-11-16, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
If you're a casual player MMO player, enjoy star wars and past bioware games like mass effect and Dragon age, then you should play this.
Thank you. this was something i was looking for. Ill give it a spin.
Old 2011-11-17, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Having my name in the credits hasn't made me biased. I'm not a big fan of RPGs (which explains why I work for Bioware-Mythic...). I'm digging the hell out of this game. This entire game is MASSIVE. There's no other way to describe it. I like engaging in conversation because the dialogues are just outstanding. And yet I hate getting sucked into storylines when I'm playing a game - I just want to bash the hell out of stuff. If I wanted story and plot I'd read a book. Or jerk off to Penthouse Letters. With TOR, I'm just cruising along beating stuff up, making players cry in PvP, and doing my damnedest to get as much conversation as possible from every NPC I can find.

I'm playing Sith. I really can't stand all the Jedi touchy-feely shit. I played a Smuggler for a bit, and 90% of my conversations ended with someone saying "May the Force be with you." So I went Sith where we don't have that problem.

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
But SWTOR is MUCH different than WoW. You can't even compare it UNLESS you compare it at it's most basic level.
Wow. And to think, back in this thread you were dead-set against the game. Out of curiosity, what made you change your mind? Did you get a chance to play it yet?

I'll be passing on this one, pressing 1-8 for my lightsaber attacks = fail. Just another wow clone, with voice acting.
Old 2011-11-17, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea, I played it.

The WoW similarities pretty much end at the UI.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-11-17, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I feel 100% vindicated now. Thank you.
Old 2011-11-17, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hamma
PSU Admin

Anytime

The only thing that could have changed my mind was playing. Experiencing the storyline immersion is what did it for me.

My comment from the thread stands though:

Probably, in fact the definition of the word says we are in fact ignorant.. This is because 99.5% of the people commenting have never touched the game. You don't have much to base opinions on other than screenshots and videos which to me - on the outside appear to be very much wow clone. You are basing your opinions off the fact you probably played the game.. very much a different animal.

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-11-17 at 08:50 AM.
Old 2011-11-17, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I'm liking the positive comments in this thread. Prior to reading of this I thought it was only a WoW clone sounds a lot better now. I have a beta invite for the next beta event and will likely go Sith (liking that idea even more now after what FireFly said). I think this is going to convert my friend from being a console player to a PC one as well hopefully...
Old 2011-11-17, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by ikon View Post

as far as the overall game, its very similar as most are. Since wow revolutionized everything.
LOL, you mean EverQuest right??
Old 2011-11-17, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Hamma
PSU Admin

ROFLCOPTER!

By the way, nobody ever answered me as to why PVP is different in that game from that other thread..

Old 2011-11-17, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
LOL, you mean EverQuest right??
Indeed. I thought WoW only dumbed things down. Certainly made SOE dumb even EQ2 down to epic heights. The game has changed so much, since I first started back around 2006.
Old 2011-11-17, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

By the way, nobody ever answered me as to why PVP is different in that game from that other thread..
The only thing I can tell you is that you'll have to go PvP on an Open-RvR. I really can't explain it. PvP in WoW is a fucking joke, and that's WHEN it even exists at all. I can't really explain it any better than I tried to explain it in that thread - it just feels very much different. Kind of like how masturbation is one way of getting off but sex is a much better way of getting off.

By the way, chaps. You can also duel with your fellow factionmates. I like doing it in crowded public places.
Old 2011-11-17, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hamma
PSU Admin

Old 2011-11-19, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
firecrackerNC
Colonel

Also got to check it out, unfortunely busy weekend with work and partys but got to like level 12 with a trooper and WOA....awesome much? The storyline is superb as can be expected. I really felt like I had a goal and was doing something. Ive played other MMOs, WAR, LOTR, WoW shortly, and I cant remember anything about the story or my purpose, I just remember getting like 20 quests and going and doing em whatever was closer, rinse and repeat and level. With ToR I really feel like Im IN the story. Cant wait to check out more thats for sure. Anyone saying its a WoW clone needs to stfu, totally different games.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion