Battlerecorder - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: which way to the dungeon?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-13, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rokazulu
Private

Battlerecorder

I think it would be cool if Planetside 2 eventually implemented a Battlerecorder similar to what Battlefield 2 had.

It was great for movie makers because you had a complete view of any battle you were in from any angle you wanted at any speed. You could send clips to your friends as well and the small file size means you would never have a great moment missed.

If you don't learn how to deprogram your own mind, the world will program it for you.
Old 2012-02-13, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DayOne
Captain

Re: Battlerecorder

Originally Posted by Rokazulu View Post
I think it would be cool if Planetside 2 eventually implemented a Battlerecorder similar to what Battlefield 2 had.

It was great for movie makers because you had a complete view of any battle you were in from any angle you wanted at any speed. You could send clips to your friends as well and the small file size means you would never have a great moment missed.
Cool idea. Would be great for showing off victories. I imagine the servers would have enough issue even without having to back up all movement everywhere. Perhaps a togglable local storage system that backs up for a certain period of time, last 24 hours for example.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sirisian
Colonel

Here and Here and Here and tweeted Higby with no reply 3 months ago hoping they'd add it in.

I definitely want a full battle recorder so we can go back in time and view events. It would be amazing for an MMOFPS.

Tweet him this thread more. I don't think they want to talk about it.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-02-13 at 10:26 PM.
Old 2012-02-13, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

IIRC, battlerecorder doesn't actually record everything. I'm fairly sure it only records player position and direction. Once you open the file it creates the models. I don't have time to boot up bf2 and check.

It is a very useful tool though
Old 2012-02-13, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
golfmasta34
Corporal

Originally Posted by Saintlycow View Post
IIRC, battlerecorder doesn't actually record everything. I'm fairly sure it only records player position and direction. Once you open the file it creates the models. I don't have time to boot up bf2 and check.

It is a very useful tool though
Yup, this is how I understand it works. Quite nifty. Although, with PS2 being open world, would it record all events in the continent? Along node lines? It's easier in a standard FPS.

I'd be all for it though!

Join the Archangels, an 9+ year old original PS1 beta outfit. www.archangelsgaming.com
Old 2012-02-14, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by golfmasta34 View Post
Yup, this is how I understand it works. Quite nifty. Although, with PS2 being open world, would it record all events in the continent? Along node lines? It's easier in a standard FPS.

I'd be all for it though!
I'd imagine it would be everything you receive through your internet connection though normal play.
Old 2012-02-14, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Would be awesome and outfits could go over it for training purposes. And design strategies around the data, what works what does not.
Old 2012-02-14, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Given that you wont get everything you need to record the whole continent, I suggest a server side record. After 24 hours, you could simply go to the ps2 page, select continent, time and length, and would then get a file that lets you see the whole continent and everything that happen.
Should be quite possible to do, wouldn't add any stress to the game servers, would just require a new node to record and deal with the download requests.
And I really want this!
Old 2012-02-14, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

I think this will be a post release guys. Lets face it, the people who want to record will find a way that will suffice, or will have to wait.

I think the best we can hope for is the empire progress update that the interface will include, showing your progress on all continents since your past log in.
Old 2012-02-14, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I love the idea. But how about an engineering ability that would send a very small drone into the air to record everything going on in your one mile square battle area.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

It would be great, but it will all depend on the load on the server.

The Battlerecorder in BF2 just saved the last few games onto the harddrive of the server that was hosting the game. There was only 64 players so there wasn't a lot of data to keep track of. Planetside 2 could have to track hundreds or thousands of players. That could get huge.

It's a logistics thing. It would be excellent if you could download the last X hours of gameplay and watch them from any perspective later.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
It would be great, but it will all depend on the load on the server.

The Battlerecorder in BF2 just saved the last few games onto the harddrive of the server that was hosting the game. There was only 64 players so there wasn't a lot of data to keep track of. Planetside 2 could have to track hundreds or thousands of players. That could get huge.

It's a logistics thing. It would be excellent if you could download the last X hours of gameplay and watch them from any perspective later.
excellent doesnt even come close to what this would allow.

Video editers always suffer from the fact that they only can work with what they got. You only have that one viewport, that one recording. Recreating a situation in a MMO is impossible, means to get more viewports, you need more people recording. It helps a ton, but is still nothing compared to a demo recording. Especially because the recording allows you to have ANY view, even somewhere where no player was at all, and also allows you to play and record in slowmo = end result is still the same, but your PC go more time to render everything = MAX Details!
Old 2012-02-14, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

This is an excellent idea. Having this ability in an MMO would definitely be a first.

Imagine if you could stutter through a hectic 20-fps battle with hundreds of people involved, and then play it back (minus all the computation, just a plain replay) hours later and record it in HD for sharing online.

-HC13
Old 2012-02-14, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
This would be a killer cool mod to incorporate if not added in an official capacity. I don't know of any generic third party software that can do this.
Third party cannot do this.The recording HAS to be done nativley, or you are simply screwed.
Old 2012-02-14, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Miir
Malvision

I'd love for something like this to be implemented.

Didn't they say there are planning on having some sort of deployable camera's? It would be great if you could deploy a camera in game similar to a UAV or even have some sort of "sticky cam" that you could stick to buildings or vehicles to get some cool camera angles.

Maybe they could have those camera's save to a file on your machine that could be played back later.

But a battlerecorder would be the way to go if it's possible in an MMO.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion