Optional Bayonet certs for heavy melee - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why im grounded
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-15, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Lightbulb Optional Bayonet certs for heavy melee

Because melee will take additional knife equip time, what if there was a bayonet sidegrade that allowed for stabbing kills but could be countered by someone with a knife and a deflection skill. This would be useful for close range situations, without needing to sneak up behind your opponent. At the highest mastery of the knife tree this would be available.
Tell me your thoughts and I will do my best to defend my Idea
Old 2012-06-15, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Re: Optional Bayonet certs for heavy melee

As of last I saw from the E3 demo videos the knifing was a quick-knife thing (being discussed over in the discussion forum somewhere), but if they were to change it up (no one-hit-kills, slower draw time, separate weapon selection, etc...) then I could see bayonet attachments and certing being something that, say, infils or, well, I guess any class would be interested in certing and getting the attachment for.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by berzerkerking View Post
Because melee will take additional knife equip time, what if there was a bayonet sidegrade that allowed for stabbing kills but could be countered by someone with a knife and a deflection skill. This would be useful for close range situations, without needing to sneak up behind your opponent. At the highest mastery of the knife tree this would be available.
Tell me your thoughts and I will do my best to defend my Idea
I started the quick-knife thread, so hell yeah to bayonets. A better form of quick melee than a poorly done knife animation (really, you can't do them well, it's impossible, it's too fast so it warps in and looks terrible)
Old 2012-06-15, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Fuck quick knifing,but thanks for telling me. If I keep this thread at the top long enough maybe they'll listen to reason. down with quick knifing. I hate it because I went on 3o+ killstreaks with it in cod.
Thanks for the info.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zekeen
Major

Fuck quick knifing,but thanks for telling me. If I keep this thread at the top long enough maybe they'll listen to reason. down with quick knifing. I hate it because I went on 3o+ killstreaks with it in cod.
Thanks for the info.
Hahaha, I love it in CoD, in the 2nd MW particularly, cause it's so cheap. I changed my gametag to ClownWithAKnife as a joke to that. It just doesn't fit in PS2. If they DO have to do it, slow it down to 1/2 or 1/3 the speed, where it looks like you actually take your knife out of the sheath and stab, and put it back. Then we have a reason for bayonets.

It's a good mod regardless, I suggested it heavily in the quick-knife thread because it just makes sense. And anyone dumb enough to say "Bayonets on machine guns don't make sense" can be put down with "so does quick knifing, same exact action". I mean, really, if you have a need to quick knife a lot, then it makes sense to just tape it to your gun.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Amen.
Btw I went by shadowhand in Cod4 before my torrented copy was lost when my computer crashed. I saw planetside 2 coming and decided not to re-download
Old 2012-06-15, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sulaco
Private

lol @ needing a certification to wield pointy object.

"HEY! You got a license for that knife? No? Hand it over then; and stick to your anti-tank missiles, you damn crazy fool."
Old 2012-06-15, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sulaco
Private

lol @ needing a certification to wield pointy object.

"HEY! You got a license for that knife? No? Hand it over then; and stick to your anti-tank missiles, you damn crazy fool."
Old 2012-06-15, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

It would be a cert because. It offers a fatal frontal attack that can be countered of the attack did not gain increased stabbing speed via skill point. Knives are for sneak attack. Bayonets will just stick you like a pig.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

It would be a cert because. It offers a fatal frontal attack that can be countered of the attack did not gain increased stabbing speed via skill point. Knives are for sneak attack. Bayonets will just stick you like a pig.
Say again? lol.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Purple
Sergeant Major

why would someone want this for close combat instead of a shotgun? i personally would rather try to shoot you then stab you.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
why would someone want this for close combat instead of a shotgun? i personally would rather try to shoot you then stab you.
First off, I saw some logs taken from the hacked beta client, seems like you can get an underbarrel shotgun. Yay you!

Secondly, to switch to a secondary mode is slower than stabbing in front of you. It's for one of those reflex "OH SHIT!" moments, an extra hard hit up close, a sort of finisher if you will. It's also a humiliation thing. Many players want to bring a knife to a gunfight to prove a point.

A shotgun is better, yes, but that's not the point.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Talking Re: Optional Bayonet certs for heavy melee

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Ration your bullets carefully so you can make them count. I knife as often as I can to save ammo
Old 2012-06-15, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ratstomper
Major

I've been thinking about this knife thing and here's my idea (lemme just derail for a second): what if you had a button that just switched you to knife mode... you put away your current weapon and whip out a knife. This could be mapped to an easy to use key (like quick knife would be) and now it acts as a normal melee weapon (like in PS1), just press the key again to switch back. This way, if you re in the thick of a fight and you wanna finish someone off, you can just hit what is essentially a quick switch button for your knife and go at it with mouse1. That way you've got a feel of being able to switch quickly mid combat to finish someone off, but its not just a super-quick, one-time swipe for ridiculous damage. Also makes it so that if you wanted to implement backstab assassinations, it requires some amount of commitment besides a fast swipe and your gun is out again. From that point on it's just about determining damage values (for regular and secondary mode attacks), delays (sheathing/unsheathing) and swing time so that they are balanced.

As for bayonets: just attach it like you would a grenade launcher or a under-barrel shotgun and use that key (mouse2?) to stab. the tradeoff being that you no longer have the modularity of other attachments for that slot. Seems reasonable to me. It'll have to be balanced out for damage/delay values as well...
Old 2012-06-15, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hobitt
Corporal

The biggest drawback from a bayonet that it increase weapon sway so long range combat is more difficult love bayonets every weapon with it looks 100% more badass

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault