City continent? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only website to advertise "Sexy Russians."
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-03-22, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jakal
Staff Sergeant

City continent?

Since we are blowing the crap out of iraq right now it seems like everyones talking about urban warfare. So i was thinking why cant planetside have an urban continent? It would be just 1 huge city. This would also help explain where all the people on Auraxis live because i haven't seen a city in any screenshots. Just thought it would be cool. No chance of it getting in the game now but theres always an expansion pack?
Old 2003-03-22, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

man that would be awsome. ANd youi could destroy the buildings, which should like respawn when noone is in their proximity or looking at the mor something. I can imagine a mosquito flying down the streets to run straight into an AA max and get wooped...

Old 2003-03-22, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
�io
Lieutenant General

Yeah it could be a cool deal. I agree it would help explain where the heck are all the citizens of Auraxis.
Old 2003-03-22, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hellsfire123
Contributor
Captain

Id agree that we need the close quarters and hidden sniper spots that urban warfare gives. But we dont need a city continent for that. Just drop random destroyed facilities on each continent. Have them sort of like towers, were you can respawn and access lockers, but not really give anything else. Walled in towns with towers and such, maybe one layer of underground storage. All terminals (cept lockers and spawn tubes) should shut down after a certain time and need to be rehacked(the thing has been destroyed after all, cant have it work perfectly). Maybe also include a vech pad, so locked continents will still have to defend them or face an enemy with vechs.

Oh BTW, the citizens of Auraxis live in each sanctuary. They are just kept out of harms ways and mantain the sanctuary so we dont have to.
Old 2003-03-22, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Well im not to hyped up about it....for it will just turn out into mele combat....

And if your sniping the only place to snipe is on a really tall buidling.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2003-03-22, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Destroyeron
Troll x2

I think it'd be cool, but for now the closest to urban combat in Planetside is the bases and tower, which will suffice for me for some time. Though a city continent would be cool.

Oh yeah, there have to be civilians
Old 2003-03-22, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
NARF
Corporal

No, a whole continent would be lame, not to mention hell on systems. I think that a few abandoned residential complexes from before the wormhole collapse, that used to be occupied but then were deserted in favor of the sanctuaries.
Old 2003-03-22, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
mr_luc
Sergeant Major

One small island would be pretty great.

But I don't think you understand the insane amount of content creation that would require. Unless there were a LOT of the same 10 or so different buildings, which might be very doable . . . and cool in a way. But, well, urban combat doesn't lend itself very well to an MMORPG.
Old 2003-03-22, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Destroyeron
Troll x2

Yeah, or maybe just a continent with lots of buildings and fewer bases.
Old 2003-03-22, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mauser101
Sergeant

Keep in mind the backstory. Human habitation on Auraxis has only been around for 30 years. I'd say the amount of base complexes and three sancutaries more than comprises the total population of the planet.

Granted, I'd like to see a little BF1942 urban style combat...but I wonder about system load.

(I'm positive most TR civilians capable of fighting would have been pressed into military service)

http://www.sturmgrenadier.com
Old 2003-03-22, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NeoDrgnMech
Sergeant

I think that new terrains would be cool, even ones other than urban. For example, you could have underground areas, at points it's so narrow its barely big enough for a buggy, and at others small armies would be able to fit in vast caverns easily, with large stalactites and stalagmites providing cover for infantry and holes in the ceiling big enough to let in large shafts of light (along with mosquitoes and reavers)...

/daydream

err...yeah. NEW TERRAINS!!

The Vanu Alliance. WE HAVE POINTY STICKS!
Old 2003-03-22, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Jakal
Staff Sergeant

I dont really know a lot about how a massively multiplayer game works but since you guys say it would lag horribly, and now that i think about youre right, so a continent wouldn't work. But i think there should be some ruins left over from previos cities. Especially on the grassy continents. maybe like a small suburb that surrounds an important base or even better how bought a really ancient alien city? That'd kick ass
Old 2003-03-23, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Large cities take a lot of horsepower to render. Situation gets worse when people start firing. Some alien ruins would be cool, but if combat within the perimeter of installations will have to suffice for the moment.
Old 2003-03-23, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

I dont think we will see anything like this in the near future (at least in PS)

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-03-23, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
NARF
Corporal

I personally think that in future patches they may begin to add more urban combat, BUT, we don't know much about the Bases, they could be very large with lots of cirridors that serve no purpose in game, but provide for multiple ways into a base, and good urban combat. I feel that more 'urban' areas, with actual buildings, would do well, but hey, what do I know.

Also, what do the watchtower things look like? Do they have several small buildings and a tower? So that someone can sneak up on a sniper, or is it a lone tower on a hill?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion