Flying vehicules controls - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Look ma! No HTML!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-10, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hamma
PSU Admin

I personally liked the tribes flight controls quite a bit.

Of course that is probably because I was good at it

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-02-10, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

^vgy, tribes flight control was a blast. Very arcade, so it wasn't hard to pick up the basics. I'm having flashbacks to the first time i flew a helicopter in Op Flashpoint.. arg. I'm glad it's not going to be anything like that.
Old 2003-02-10, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
BoNkA
Private

A lot of the fun in flying is being able to perform some ariel manuvers to avoid fire or set yourself up to fire on someone. I personally do not like the tribes2 boating airplane system, you can't do much of anything. We could at least be able to dive and climb with the joystick, but instead we float up or down and then move forward or backward and can turn a little.

I was pretty hyped up about being a pilot and even got my joystick out in preperation. Then I find out it will basically be worthless and I won't be able to control the plane very well. So now I have to think of what I'll do if piloting doesn't impress me :\
Old 2003-02-10, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
CyricMoonblade
Corporal

umm i can a lot in the T2 piloting system..... Barrel rolls... fly upside down... loopty loops.... strafe.... you can also if your good enough and hav you mouse sensitivity high enough do some tricks like ummm what would you calll them.... like a throttle cut kinda thing... where your going foward really really fast, and then just drop out of the sky by pointing your nose down (cut the throttle and drop, so the enemy thinks your going to be flying foward still)... that probably confused you lol but i hpe you get the idea :-) I love the piloting physics in T2... course some of the MOD ones are even better with a higher Pitch and Yaw rate

"We fight for freedom. Freedom from oppression, freedom from tyranny, freedom for our lives" - Fire Team Leader Cyricmoonblade
Old 2003-02-10, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Dave has said: no barrel rolls or upside down flying.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-10, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Arshune
Captain

I think it would have been cool if they made the flight model kind of like the helicopters in Vice City. Heh, tilt the stick forward to go forward, but don't tilt it too far or you flip over and slam into the ground. Of course that won't work with a computer since it doesn't have analog controls, but it'd still be mad cool.

As for the way they have it now...I never played Tribes 2, so I don't know what everyone's talking about. Could someone please elaborate? From these posts I'm getting the impression that you can only go foward, backward, up, down and turn...if that's true, then I hate the flight model already. If you can't control the aircraft's pitch, how will you shoot at the ground? What about if you want to do a barrel roll?

-Our principal is SO hardcore.
Old 2003-02-10, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Arshune
Captain

Bah, my post showed up later than it was supposed to...anyway, without the ability for any kind of aerial maneuvers, air battles would be pretty much like tank battles...only in the air. TELL ME they did *SOMETHING* to spice it up, it sounds bland from what I'm hearing.

Old 2003-02-10, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Mopo
Contributor
Corporal

Originally posted by Destroyeron
How the hell are you supposed to avoid a missle if you can't even fly upside down.
Uhm.... move laterally?

Old 2003-02-10, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Iceman
Corporal

Well, this sure sounds like a crapy flight system.

Although i understand it would be 'way' too complicated to have a 'realistic' system, it could at least offer something different.

As stated before, this will only turn out into a 'tank war - in the air'.

For the first time, i'm having second thoughts about PS...
Old 2003-02-10, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Lillemanden
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Arshune
Of course that won't work with a computer since it doesn't have analog controls, but it'd still be mad cool.
Well some of us got joypads, others got joysticks and everybody got a mouse (everyone playing FPS's anyway), so we do got analog controls (mouse is kinda like something in between, but in the case of flying it can be used as in BF1942).
Old 2003-02-10, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Iceman
Corporal

thats another thing... i was planning on having my Joystick/throttle ready ... even got pedals and all.

Now i don,t even think those will be compatible...

trully disapointed about this...
Old 2003-02-10, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Iceman
Corporal

actuallly... sorry to scalp this thread (although i did start it), i just got an idea... i'd like comments on this...

How 'bout a flight system that's upgradable? This is sort of a rought idea, but bare with me on this..

What if, you could gain Beps and by 'better' certs to flying? you buy the desired certs to fly what you want, and once you have it, you can then buy 'advanced' fly certs that allows you to trully 'fly' and do manoeuvers.. you could even 'buy' those Manoeuvers..

So basically, everyone can fly with the required cert tool (Like in Tribes2)... but then, you can upgrade your skills which can then match the player's RL Skills, allowing the use of joysticks and throttles and stuff like that...

I know this is a long shot, but its worth fighthing for somehow. I'd really like a good flying system. This idea would differency the casual pilots that spawn a vehicule to get from A to B quickly, and the dedicated pilots that spawn a vehicule and await orders and do patrols awaiting dutycalls.

I personnally will be waiting dropship requests for pickups or ETDs.
Old 2003-02-10, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Titus
Private

I am praying its not arcade action all the way....fine if it is not a complex flite model like IL2...but you need to have some kind of basic axis of movement roll and yaw. I personaly feel the piloting a aircraft is a aquired skill, and to not put in the factors of gforce drag is a mistake...and as stated above it would be like a tank battle in the air. Look at it this way Ps come out you spend months learing all the tricks of a sniper, only to get kill every time you go out on the hunt by a Max suit..and all that skill you have means nothing. I mite be wrong it will be a blast to fly.. and I hope so looks like i need to go over to tribes and see whats up....
Flying Boat Give me a break.........
Old 2003-02-10, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Arshune
Captain

Sounds like they're trying to make the aircraft pretty helicopter-ish, and I'm cool with that...provided it's possible to adjust pitch and aim at the ground or further up in the air. If not, I'm going to be disappointed with the flight.

Old 2003-02-10, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Arshune
Captain

I can't believe no one posted whether or not you can pitch the aircraft's nose yet, *SOMEONE* around here has to know...or at least have a good guess.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion