Require LOS with the Phoenix? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keep out of reach of children
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-20, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
TheN00b
Colonel

BD, standing absolutely still because you're firing the Pheonix is bad enough. LOS would be practically impossible with all the snipers on the defending base's walls.
Old 2004-02-20, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Dharkbayne
I'm pretty sure the NC have to reload after every shot, and they are COMPLETELY undefended while guiding said missle though. It's balanced.
I wont say bitching cause you have a valid point

Last edited by Biohazzard56; 2004-02-20 at 06:59 PM.
Old 2004-02-20, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TheN00b
Ash, you do know that you have to reload after every shot?
And you do know you don't have to stand there motionless while reloading right?
Old 2004-02-20, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
TheN00b
Colonel

Well, ya, but the TTK on a MAX with one Pheonix is so atrocious that it's unfeasible indoors.
Old 2004-02-20, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheN00b
Well, ya, but the TTK on a MAX with one Pheonix is so atrocious that it's unfeasible indoors.
Luckily, it comes bundled with the Decimator now. Each weapon to their own strengths. I say the Phoenix is fine. If they can stay well hidden with no LOS on their target, more power to 'em. They only have 1 shot before a reload, and AV isn't exactly the strongest armor busting cert out there.

Just do what I do: AV outdoors, Deci indoors.
Old 2004-02-20, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
BDMJ
First Sergeant

Setting it to dumbfire midflight would up the TTK dramatically against any slow moving targets, assuming a skilled user on the phoenix end. It would make it a much more viable solo weapon. Imagine having the phoenix's ROF for dumfire mode, without a COF, and with auto correction. If a two shot magazine were added, it would be perfect.
Old 2004-02-20, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
PhoenixTypeX
Corporal

Tbh I love the Phoenix cos im a VS sniper it's perfect, I set up nearby to a load of NC with phoenix's flanking them to the side. Then I wait until they fire the missile and are in cam mode and fire off my good old sniper rifle twice at them = dead NC. I often find where there is one NC with phoenix that there are loads bunched together so more sniper kills for me! This works as some NC are so eager to fly their missile and get frags they don't realise they are being shot and killed until its too late !

Old 2004-02-20, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Hee, I was testing the new DC max when I saw a Phoenix user launch one. I got right in front of him and locked down. He started to reload with me in his face.

"Hi there!"

Kaymon <DC> SurprisedNC
Old 2004-02-20, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Owned.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-02-20, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

I dont get it.
Old 2004-02-20, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Colonel Nikolai
Private

Mid-flight dumbfire isn't really that much, considering that your tank or buggy only has to change course or speed a tiny bit.

I decided to walk everyone else's talk and pick up a Phoenix myself on Markov. I went out to a fight, hunkered down behind a tree, and was soon sniping MAXes and Magriders from complete impunity. I ran out of ammo twice and had to go back before I finally got killed, and I was -loaded- with rounds. I then tried striking over the CY walls, which proved extremely simple to do. I nailed my first few vpad snipes right on the terminal, just like I wove my missle between bridge pylons when going after a Magrider. Then I tried it against air. You know what? Picking my shots, I got 3 out of 4, the miss being one I realized was friendly. I got plenty of potshots on a low-flying liberator, which turned out to be slower than the missile just by enough that the tailgunner stared right at the missile and tried to shoot it down. In short, I had a fun ten minutes worth of frags with that thing, at no cost to myself but two deaths from breakthrough tanks.

"Skilled" Phoenix users my left foot, I just picked it up and piz-owned anything thicker than a Rexo. This was on the West Coast server (I'm East) with packetloss spiking over 10%. I hate to break it, but that weapon ain't hard to waste people with. And for fun, I tried firing from only partial cover. Dispite mild sniper fire, I got away just fine. And the reload time is negligable. I mean, I almost didn't see the animation, compared to the Striker's, "Hold on, I need to block the scope FULLY before I can proceed from here", animation.

In short, I still think LOS should be required back to the launcher. There's plenty of cubbyholes and low ridges to hide behind while firing like this, believe me. As a Striker user, its second nature to hide when firing. By the way... strikers do have a rather poor range limit on the lock feature, while the Phoenix can engage much, much farther with pinpoint accuracy.
Old 2004-02-21, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
shaizan
Contributor
Corporal

Hey guys, a question from a decicated VS/TR person: If a phoenix user is killed with a missle midflight, does the missle go dumbfire or does it dissappear?
Old 2004-02-21, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

YOu can make you missle go dumbfire in mid flight already, its just you still have to wait for it to explode to reload.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-21, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
shaizan
Contributor
Corporal

So, it goes dumbfire should the NC meet his/her death? You danced about my question a tad (like a surgile, very apropo) but did not quite hit it on the head (unlike a JH surgile )
Old 2004-02-21, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

No it does go boom if you get killed, i was saying to the other guy.

Also i don't have HA, and i only use Agils when i'm flying. But its nice to see that you can't get over that fact that most of the NC are not surgiles, and the fact that the other empires do it just as frequently.

Its impossible to go right over a Wall, you can't turn that fast. Any reaver that gets hot down by a phx deserves to have his cert taken from him, he is a fool.

The thing the pheonix has is accuracy, but both the other weapons do better damage, i think its a great tradeoff.

Also if you have time check out how many bases have poings higher than them were you can shoot into any point of the cortyard with the striker and lancer

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion