Vanu vehicles... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pimp my Galaxy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-15, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Cyanide
Major

Vanu vehicles...

I was reading the vanu vehicle descriptions the other day and it says that they can strafe due to their "gravatic drive system". I'm not in beta so what i want to know is has this proven to be an advantage for them or is it fairly well balanced. I would think that a strafing tank could own a standard tank. Assuming the standard tanks turret doesn't swivel fast enough.
Old 2003-04-15, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Seer
Major

Apparently not. Magriders are proported to be rare sights, and I reckon there is a reason for that.
Old 2003-04-15, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zenny
Sergeant Major

Misc Info

First not in beta just opinion here. I find strafing kinda helpful, but not enough, as in the other faction tanks can turn 90degrees and point to the side, and BAM they got their own kinda strafe lol... hrmmm
Old 2003-04-15, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Strijder
Private

I haven't experienced beta yet, so I can't speak from experience, but strafing from side to side sounds like it'd be harder to get hit.
Old 2003-04-15, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Deebob
Private

I've only seen 1 so far...but havent seen many prowlers either.

It was harder to hit, but didnt change my odds that much (reaver/ & Pheonix)
Old 2003-04-15, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Cyanide
Major

The way this thread is going i wonder if vehicles are worth it. Do tanks serve any purpose except to kill other vehicles? If they don't then i don't see them being used much since there are plenty of AV weapons available to infantry.
Old 2003-04-15, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

All tanks right now are rare, because as it stands their armor is like paper. This will be addressed soon (in the next patch i think) they wont take damage from folks running around with cyclers or standard weapons. You will need some anti-vehicle shit (like it should be)

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-04-15, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Seer
Major

An upcoming patch will make heavily armored vehicles immune to small arms fire. Still, they may also have to address infantry AV lethality.
Old 2003-04-15, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cyanide
Major

If the dev team wants tanks to be used more frequently they should make only 1 or 2 infantry weapons that can kill them. They should be most easily countered by other tanks and the cert for those AV weapons needs to be fairly high cost and specialized. If it's easy for a player to get the AV cert and carry around AV weapons without hindering their other capabilities nobody will use vehicles.
Old 2003-04-15, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Jakal
Staff Sergeant

Kind of sounds like maybe they were trying to make sure tanks werent uber powerful like in 1942 (Uber is the coolest word in any language.ever.period). Guess they went to far. Glad its bein fixed. I want to be a lightning driver.
Old 2003-04-15, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Seer
Major

I share your opinion that a tank is best countered by another tank and hope PS comes to reflect this. It would be a net positive in terms of fun. Players don't mind powerful vehicles roaming around as long as valid counterstrategies exist, and fear is a powerful emotion to have in your service while making a game. In BF1942 I feel afraid of the tanks and consequently thril at their destruction. I love playing infantry, and the base interiors ensure that PS will always have a role for the footsoldier, but I would prefer it if vehicles lorded over infantry (including max) and not the other way around.

While the BF system defrays the threat to tanks and vehicles by making AV a seperate (an relatively rare, by choice) class, the PS system allows a footsoldier to carry the most powerful AV weapon available to him as well as the most powerful rifle available to him at the same time.
Old 2003-04-15, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Jakal
Staff Sergeant

I agree seer some of the best memories i have in 1942 are blowing up tanks with the av class. And dont forget that the really powerful vehicles are only useful if crewed by multiple people so they balance out. A prowler which holds 3 should be able to take 3 soldiers i think. Maybe not maxes but at least the footsloggers.
Old 2003-04-15, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bighoss
General

The Phoenix makes blowing any vehicle up so simple so it makes them pretty pointless espically one thiats just a big metal box that can;t fly
Old 2003-04-15, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: Vanu vehicles...

Originally posted by Cyanide
I was reading the vanu vehicle descriptions the other day and it says that they can strafe due to their "gravatic drive system". I'm not in beta so what i want to know is has this proven to be an advantage for them or is it fairly well balanced. I would think that a strafing tank could own a standard tank. Assuming the standard tanks turret doesn't swivel fast enough.
You can't strafe extremely fast. A tank's turret can easily keep up with how fast you can strafe, especially if said tank actually has someone driving it (in which case they'll try to move out of the way of the AI weapon fixed to the front of the MagRider.

Honestly, I don't see much good in the MagRider strafing. It might be better for moving through some tough spots, but in combat, a tank is too big, and the strafing too slow to make a huge difference.
Old 2003-04-15, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ubernator
Corporal

I would like to see tanks to work somewhat like MAX armors do for infantry. It seems to me that MAX armors are the slow heavy weaps guys that soak up the enemy fire for the grunts. Without the support of grunts though, a lone MAX is toast. Tanks should work similarly. They should be supporting convoys of APCs or foot soldiers so that they make it inside an enemy installation with minimal damage.

I plan on doing just that ^^ when I get a heavy tank cert.

The Mag-rider has a direct fire heavy rail beam I believe. Am I right that it is direct fire? Being direct fire, I could order my gunner to easily take out wall turrets for our VS invading force. The rail beam would also make hitting enemy vehicles at long ranges quite easy. So, if the Mag-rider cant compete in the armor or main gun department, it can at least use it's mobility to stay at range from the other heavy tanks (where indirect fire would be difficult to land a shot). I wonder if it would be possible to pluck a Reaver out of the sky with the heavy rail beam....

Last edited by Ubernator; 2003-04-15 at 11:56 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion